Overclocking 9900k - MSI z390 pro carbon ac

Associate
Hi there, first post so please go easy on me.

I'll try not to ramble. This is my first ever build, it took me about 3 years of saving for it but i finally got there.

9900k (Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, re applied a couple times to make sure all is well)
MSI z390 pro carbon ac
2080ti
H150i pro
32Gb 3000 memory
pc-011 dynamic
HX850i psu (platinum)
too many case fans but ooooh fancy colours

Right so its my first ever gaming pc and my first build and, as a big youtube fan i was under the impression that even a wally like me should (with the bits i had bought) should be able to overclock the 9900k to 5ghz.

There are a couple of good walkthroughs on youtube and even a great page on overclocking with my exact setup on the msi website. https://www.msi.com/blog/intel-9th-cpu-overclocking-5ghz-with-z390-motherboards

My problem is i have done everything recommended on that page but every time i run the timespy benchmark i get a blue screen at the cpu test.

i have tried giving her a bit more power (the highest i dared go was 1.38volts on the core voltage) but their suggested level is 1.32v and i dont know how high is too high.

cpu ratio 50
ring ratio 47
cpu ratio mode dynamic (tried fixed)
core voltage mode auto (tried override)
cpu loadline calibration Auto (tried 3)
intel c-state disabled

i also find that with everything set to auto and no overclock applied i still bluescreen if i turn "enhanced turbo" to "enabled". The cpu temps arent even getting that high.

If anyone knows of what i have got wrong please let me know.

Thanks so much

Bosco

Associate
Set the ring ratio to 43 for now, until you get stable frequency overclock. Then overclock your ram and only then adjust the ring ratio ;)

I am not that familiar with MSi bios so I can't help you much there. Play around with voltage and llc and see what kind of V it pulls under load.

Associate
OP
Set the ring ratio to 43 for now, until you get stable frequency overclock. Then overclock your ram and only then adjust the ring ratio ;)
Oh man thanks for the reply! Please don't feel like you have to go in to depth but that ring ratio seems very low compared to the "three less than..." That MSI advise? Can I hurt the build with a low ring ratio?

Associate
Oh man thanks for the reply! Please don't feel like you have to go in to depth but that ring ratio seems very low compared to the "three less than..." That MSI advise? Can I hurt the build with a low ring ratio?

Ring Ratio will increase heat and instability, it's better to keep it low while you are finding the optimal frequency that your CPU can run. You can't damage anything in the process. Mine is running at 49, but then again I am running 5200 on the core. So your mileage may wary.

Associate
OP
Ring Ratio will increase heat and instability, it's better to keep it low while you are finding the optimal frequency that your CPU can run. You can't damage anything in the process. Mine is running at 49, but then again I am running 5200 on the core. So your mileage may wary.

Hmm ive given it a shot but no joy. I think my CPU might just be a lemon sadly. I'm to under-educated to start prodding too much, I better leave it stock and not wade in to the depths of the pros.

Soldato
IF........ You are unsure of the stability of your system that you have it together then at least test that at default before you try and overclock.
Ensure that your memory is at the correct XMP profiles and voltages.
So everything at default, optimised defaults or something in the BIOS, and memory at what it should be.
Drivers, including motherboards needed ones, up to date and installed.

Did you build it yourself..?

Test and monitor from there.

Associate
OP
IF........ You are unsure of the stability of your system that you have it together then at least test that at default before you try and overclock.
Ensure that your memory is at the correct XMP profiles and voltages.
So everything at default, optimised defaults or something in the BIOS, and memory at what it should be.

Test and monitor from there.

Yup. I mean everything seems solid when all set to default. Memory is a set of 3000 and that's what it's running at. I can only assume it's something to do with the power delivery spiking during that CPU test that causes the Blue screen but I know so little outside of the MSI advice I linked earlier I don't dare push my luck.

Soldato
What are you using to monitor your voltages and test your stability.?

I assume that you must have to know that it is stable.

When testing stability what vdroop (voltage drops) are you seeing on your v core.?

Not familiar with MSI at all.

Some useful things to help...

CPU-Z
HWifo64 good for measuring vcore at V VOUT table.
OCCT
Intel burn test Ver 2.

All the above can be Googled as well as info on them.

As I mentioned before did you build it yourself.?

Associate
OP
What are you using to monitor your voltages and test your stability.?

I assume that you must have to know that it is stable.

When testing stability what vdroop (voltage drops) are you seeing on your v core.?

Not familiar with MSI at all.

Some useful things to help...

CPU-Z
HWifo64 good for measuring vcore at V VOUT table.
OCCT
Intel burn test Ver 2.

All the above can be Googled as well as info on them.

As I mentioned before did you build it yourself.?
Hi yes sorry I did build it myself but I'm not using anything to monitor my voltages it's literally my first ever crack at tinkering with an overclock and it's clearly not as simple as MSI would have me believe haha

Back
Top Bottom