Electric Scooters

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting one too. My 5 minute walk to work is going to be a 2km journey soon and I am looking for a quick, efficient way to complete it. I get too hot from cycling to go this route.

Soldato
Lol, if you're going to post in two threads make sure your story remains the same :)

Is that to me? Not sure what you mean.

My Scooter is going back for recall work, after that I will probably sell as the Police are now fining people, cycled pass two office workers stopped by police on their scooters and being what looked like tickets. Not worth the risk, stupid laws need to be updated.

Soldato
Although you seem to be able 'drive' those 4 wheeled electric disability vehicles on pavements... Maybe that's technically illegal too but it's just not enforced?

Nothing of the sort.

Disability scooters have legal permission to be on the pavement at no more than 4mph and giving priority to pedestrians. Some models are additionally permitted to be on the road with a speed limit of 8mph.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-hig...ed-wheelchairs-and-mobility-scooters-36-to-46

Electric scooters are not legally recognised so are by default, illegal, except on private ground.

Soldato
Electric scooters are not legally recognised so are by default, illegal, except on private ground.

So all we need to do is get our ageing MPs to recognise some people might want a convenient, eco friendly form of personal city transport that doesn't make you sweaty?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The DOT has been reviewing our antiquated driving laws for the past 6 months or so.

Expect stupid rules where your speed is limited to 5mph, a orange hard hat is required at all times. Third party Insurance will be required by law making the price of ownership so prohibative everyone will break the law, scumbags will destroy all the rental versions.

Car drivers will still pay zero attention them, taxi drivers will complain and white van man will ride pavements to kill you.

In otherwords you know the government will make a mess of it.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Who owns one and what have you got? What do you like about it and what don't you like? Most importantly would the handle height be sufficient for a tall person? (6'5")

Thanks in advance.

So many to choose from, I'm looking at the Mercane Widewheel Dual motor (2x 500w)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got two. A super lightweight one (250w/7kg) and a high power one (2000w/36kg).

HileyScooter.jpg

The lighter one is really a bit small for me. 250w is not enough power to propel a grown adult. I have to assist it up hills, and the handle height isn't adjustable - so it's a bit short. I bought it when I got the electric car as a 'last mile' option - as I had to park the car a fair way from work to charge it. I've handed it over to my son. It flies with him on it.

The bigger one cost a lot more and is a lot more work to maintain. But it's a lot more fun. It's very rare you use as much power as is on offer - I usually ride on a single motor. The only real drawback is weight. Trying to lug an awkward 36kg around isn't easy. I can just about get it up and down stairs - but any further and I'd rather walk. This now has a bigger led headlight and solid + cut out tyres since I took this picture, which are a vast improvement. Since I've owned it I've replaced the brakes and the rear shocks.

Overall I've done about 500 miles on these scooters. Mostly on the pavement, relatively slowly and giving pedestrians right of way. Where available I use cycle lanes and if it's quiet I'll go onto the road. Never had any accidents, complaints or issues with police. I ride carefully and courteously. I've avoided going anywhere near London with it - as this appears to be the main focus of the anti scooter enforcement in the UK.

They're great for using abroad where they're completely legal. For the past few years, I've used them to go short distances with the family around towns in France and Holland. Where most family would bring a load of bicycles, these are so compact they can fit in the boot.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Thanks :) What model is the 2000w scooter you have? I only need to cover just over a mile in total so dont need that much power really, although I do want it to be fun :D

Great idea about taking them abroad, great way to explore with the whole family :)

Soldato
Mine is a HileyScooter Maxspeed 2000. Or, if you look at the sticker on the sides a 250w, 14mph electric bike :p

They don't make my model anymore. If I was buying again, I'd be looking for something under 20kg which folds in a way that makes it as easy as possible to transport. Anything more than 500w is a plus.

Soldato
If you do a search for '[EU Direct] Janobike 2000W Dual Motor 23.4Ah 10 Inches', an online retailer who may be considered a competitor has a Black Friday deal on one of these. Nearly $500 off.

Just keep in mind - it's 32kg.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
There seems to be a load of black Friday deals on scooters.

I think you're spot on with the weight and compact folding being key, I've found a couple of models I like; mercane dual motor widewheel & inokim quick 3 super +, however there are so many others to choose from all with their own positives...

I've got until the new year but was hoping to get a decent one in sales around this period.

Back
Top Bottom