Suicide by train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
What kind of person watches 'many videos online' of people throwing themselves in front of trains?

A Psychopath, is the obvious answer. Are you a legit psychopath, OP? Serious question (supposedly 1 or 2% of us are psychopaths).

Clearly not something I do daily. I happened to come across one before and I was intrigued and hence found more. I don't think it weird for anyone to be interested in what happens literally in these kind of things, as brutal as they are.

Commissario
Many years ago I remember reading a long chain of articles on the internet about a guy who started training as a driver on the railway and it went through all his training, the ups and downs, the exams and work he had to do with lots of details. Finally he made made it and on one of his first drives after qualifying, he had a jumper. I wish I could find it, it was a fascinating read.

Soldato
My ex-father in law was a train driver for 15+ years. He'd had a jumper which hit him quite hard, but he also had an accidental death. Drunk kid, early 20's, put his arm out to stop the train like you would a bus and got clipped and went under - that one took him a long time to move on from.

Soldato
its a selfish act by train..or by lorry on a motorway as it has a huge knock on effect on a totally innocent party..it can destroys drivers lives
not just drivers but police etc who have to pickup up the bits etc. if you are hit by a train it can tear you apart just from impact.
Agreed (by definition), but it's a quick means to an end - which is essentially what a high speed, multi-tonned impact offers to someone clearly not thinking in their right mind at the time (if they ever could).

It's quick, very effective and unfortunately gives people very little time to think - not that they are. If their 'emotional torment is brimming' while waiting for their ride and then begins to spill, even if the intention wasn't initially there to begin with, they suddenly have the opportunity/gift to swiftly and definitively end the torment.

Life is a gift/opportunity - but has moments when it can monumentally ****ing suck, usually when you least expect it. And for some, if they haven't got the support or the ability to convey how they're feeling - then the quickest way out can sometimes prevail - with very little forethought. Even if they unintentionally hurt those closest to them or those that happen to be controlling/travelling on the high speed mallet that can shuttle them off this mortal coil as quickly and as painlessly as 'they think' is possible.

It is a selfish act, by definition, but had they been in their right mind to begin with...

...that said some suicides leave notes for the policeman on the car window, to be careful. Yes, considerate - but they will still have effected someone's life - basically, there's no selfless suicide (terminally ill, grey area).

*And for police the crippler is kids :/

Man of Honour
Nope, that’s how partial and very survivable frontal lobotomies happen. Barrel in mouth with muzzle pointing upwards.

Old boy around one place I was living apparently did something like that WW2 era revolver first round to the temples didn't do it second round did the job and exit through the window behind him which was how he was found.

Soldato
Many years ago I remember reading a long chain of articles on the internet about a guy who started training as a driver on the railway and it went through all his training, the ups and downs, the exams and work he had to do with lots of details. Finally he made made it and on one of his first drives after qualifying, he had a jumper. I wish I could find it, it was a fascinating read.

My ex-father in law was a train driver for 15+ years. He'd had a jumper which hit him quite hard, but he also had an accidental death. Drunk kid, early 20's, put his arm out to stop the train like you would a bus and got clipped and went under - that one took him a long time to move on from.

Someone I know worked on the Northern Line and had 2 jumpers, one literally the week after he came back from leave after the first incident. Dont know the full details of either but he's a shell of the man he once was and couldnt go back to work after the second.

Caporegime
My dad worked for London transport for 40 years, beginning his career at Tottenham court road tube.

He had plenty of stories of jumpers onto the lines and cleaning up the successful ones.

He also won an award for bravery for chucking himself ontop of suicidal guy and pinning him in the ditch under the tracks on the central line.

I'll look it up next time im in London.

Man of Honour
My friend killed himself via train about 7 years ago. I couldn't tell you why, I tried to work it out for a long time.

I suppose it may have been easy access to tracks.

My wife’s cousin went that way too, about 4 years ago.
He got on to the tracks near Denmark Hill station, South London, and apparently walked into a tunnel, until a train came toward him, and he presumably just stood in its path.
He’d been a tad mentally disturbed ever since I knew him, I never knew the reason for that.
He came to visit my wife once, sat on the floor while watching TV, then when the programme ended, said, “I’ll have a choc-ice when the lady comes round with the ice creams.” I guess that he thought that he was in a cinema.

Soldato
I suspect the reason is a cry for attention.

I'd imagine having suicidal thoughts is along similar thoughts to depression i.e. when you are in deep depression you might not realise it, but suddenly everything feels dark and heavy. It's only when you come out of depression and think back that you realise how ill you were.

It's a remarkable issue of today that we have so many ways to communicate with other people, yet on the flip side we can feel alone and solitary.

It's interesting watching the videos of were people have been talked down from jumping, and how it changed their lives. A couple of years ago there was a programme of a guy who was talked down from jumping by this other guy, and he went searching to try and find him, to thank him. The programme showed his search and eventual reunion with the guy.

I always say a problem shared is a problem halved. It's easy to dwell and take things out of context if we don't have someone else there to bounce our thoughts off.

I wish someone would have stopped the kid who recently stepped in front of a train. It only needed for someone to say "Hello, how are you? What's on your mind?"

Associate
I think, unlike other ways, it's probably more a spur of the moment thing? Headed into work, life not going at all to plan. See the train coming in and just make that easy step out rather than the harder one back. If they had literally 30 seconds to think rationally they wouldn't have done it. Sad people can get to that stage. Important to talk!

Soldato
I read an article a few years back about people who were killing themselves by jumping infront of trains. Apparently it was very rarely a case of planned suicides, and often just people who had a day that pushed them to their limit and instead of getting on the train they were waiting for they stepped in front it. I don't think its as much of an attention grab as most of would seem to think, just more of a '**** this' moment - which made me a lot more sympathetic towards those that go out this way.

Planned ones are reasonably common, and you get a lot of people who end up fixated on wanting to commit suicide by train to the point that they'll be frequently located at a station or some other means of access to the running line. Although obviously if they keep getting found or keep threatening to do so there's at least something in their minds stopping them from completing it (at least, up until the moment there isn't).

The worst ones are where it's someone who's had a recent but sudden dip in their mental health and hasn't been getting the right help or been seen quick enough. They've had "normal" lives, never caused trouble, aren't known to the police for anything criminal. They leave a note, leave their family and head to their nearest station and walk off the end of the platform.

Man of Honour
Why is this suicide method used so much? Do you think people just think of others that have done the same and copy blindly? Is it because it's easy to execute? Is it because they think it will get them more attention?

Back in September 1988 this was my favoured method and I was minutes away from executing it.
I chose this method not because it would bring attention but if I bent over in front of the train hitting my head I wouldn't know a single thing about it.
Slitting my wrists, pills, hanging, jumping off a bridge, even walking in front of a car could all result in a painful death that could last a while where putting my head in front of a train would be instant.
Since I am still a suicidal depressive it is still my favoured method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom