*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Typical, was going to get my lad a Switch for his birthday next month and now there's going to be a new one the following month. Suppose the one upside is there may be some price drops on the horizon.

I don’t think there will be, they are getting rid of the current stock with the inclusion of a £30 online voucher as an incentive, but it’s still 279.99

Soldato
Grabbed myself a 200GB sandisk SD card from amazon prime deals for £20, couldn't resist at that price!

I did the same and I don’t own a Switch yet! Thought I would get one in anticipation haha. Waiting for September and then I will decide to go for the lite or new battery full switch...

Man of Honour
I don’t think there will be, they are getting rid of the current stock with the inclusion of a £30 online voucher as an incentive, but it’s still 279.99

There is a minor revision that fixes hacking loopholes and has better battery life, via a smaller more efficient SoC and memory.

Every platform needs a Gamepass type service going forward. It's the one good think MS have done this Gen imo, its amazing value.

It's a bit annoying that games get removed from the service but I'm really enjoying playing some games that I'd never throw money at normally, such as the FPS campaigns (Metro, Rage, Wolfenstein).

Nintendo need to hurry up and get SNES games on the NSO service.

Soldato
There is a minor revision that fixes hacking loopholes and has better battery life, via a smaller more efficient SoC and memory.

It's a bit annoying that games get removed from the service but I'm really enjoying playing some games that I'd never throw money at normally, such as the FPS campaigns (Metro, Rage, Wolfenstein).

Nintendo need to hurry up and get SNES games on the NSO service.

Yeah sorry, I meant I don’t think there will be any price reductions. They are getting rid of the current stock with the voucher incentive to make way for the updated switch with the battery improvements.

Associate
I've just bought a bigger Micro SD but am having difficulty transferring the data over from the existing card. When I put the current data card into a reader on my PC (Latest Windows 10) it detects that its there but wants to format it to be usable.

I don't want to wipe it as I'll lose all my data (saves) is there any other way around this?

Soldato
I've just bought a bigger Micro SD but am having difficulty transferring the data over from the existing card. When I put the current data card into a reader on my PC (Latest Windows 10) it detects that its there but wants to format it to be usable.

I don't want to wipe it as I'll lose all my data (saves) is there any other way around this?

You should just be able to copy and paste the data. When I moved from a 32 to a 128 I just copied the data to a folder on the PC and moved it back to the new card. All worked fine and detected by the switch.

Luke

Man of Honour

Your save game data is not on the SD card.

Man of Honour
So after my Owlboy fiasco I decided to play yet another game.... The Messenger. Quite enjoying this one. A light hearted platformer. They are introducing move upgrades at a pleasant pace. Also quite funny dialogue too. Yet more ‘life advice’, in this case from the shop keeper.

Soldato

Create a folder on your PC and drop everything from the old card into it. Put the new card into the Switch as it'll want to format it. Then take it out and connect it to the pc and drop the new folder into it. Saves are stored locally on the Switch so you're just moving game data.

@Nitefly Can't really remember it was a couple of years ago now!

Associate
So after my Owlboy fiasco I decided to play yet another game.... The Messenger. Quite enjoying this one. A light hearted platformer. They are introducing move upgrades at a pleasant pace. Also quite funny dialogue too. Yet more ‘life advice’, in this case from the shop keeper.

I've started The Messenger on PC Game Pass, really enjoying it at the moment.

Man of Honour
Flirting with the idea of a second switch for Ms. Nitefly but there doesn’t really seem to be an obvious ‘best’ option / bundle. Nothing dramatically better than ‘buy now and £30 store credit’. Better battery life in the ‘silent update’ sounds alright but it’s not like it’s going to be away from a plug for long periods of time....

Soldato
How many TVs have you got? Yes the regular switch is great but if it's a second one that's never going to be docked, I'd much rather save £70ish and spend that on games and get a Switch Lite

Man of Honour
How many TVs have you got? Yes the regular switch is great but if it's a second one that's never going to be docked, I'd much rather save £70ish and spend that on games and get a Switch Lite
With the current voucher there’s £50 in it.

There is only one TV in the house but it would be good for her to have the flexibility to play on the TV, if desired. As far as I could tell, there would be no way of getting her game saved onto my switch to play on the TV without hassle of me logging out of my account, even with the cloud save system.... but correct me if I’m wrong.

In other words, if she has a Zelda save on the switch lite, how much of a pig is it for her to continue that save file on my ‘current gen’ switch?

Man of Honour
With the current voucher there’s £50 in it.

There is only one TV in the house but it would be good for her to have the flexibility to play on the TV, if desired. As far as I could tell, there would be no way of getting her game saved onto my switch to play on the TV without hassle of me logging out of my account, even with the cloud save system.... but correct me if I’m wrong.

In other words, if she has a Zelda save on the switch lite, how much of a pig is it for her to continue that save file on my ‘current gen’ switch?

It's not just the docking that you lose out on. The 2 controllers, kickstand and bigger screen make the regular Switch a better portable than the Lite in many respects.

You are not going to be able to fluidly use multiple switches with one save file, you will have to fully migrate the save each time.

Man of Honour
It's not just the docking that you lose out on. The 2 controllers, kickstand and bigger screen make the regular Switch a better portable than the Lite in many respects.

You are not going to be able to fluidly use multiple switches with one save file, you will have to fully migrate the save each time.
Yeah that’s the conclusion I was coming to. I think she is probably only particularly interested in Zelda / Pokies so may as well hang on for the better battery version.

Oh, have you played The Messenger? Hasn't got the same difficult as Celeste but it’s still pretty fun if you fancy a side scrolling platformer with the depth of, say, ‘Shovel Knight (original)’.

Back
Top Bottom