The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Home made lemon bars. Everything made from scratch: A buttery shortcrust pastry, Pierre Herme lemon curd recipe which I made with the juice and zest of 4 Eureka lemons, heated to a specific temperature, emulsified with a ton of butter and..well quite a process. And I made a non bake Swiss Meringue and torched it with my vaping coil lighter. The lemon curd has an unbelievable flavour, kind of like a lemon cream/custard and quite rich. No tartness, very sweet.

2.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

Soldato
They look great, I really like a lemon bar.

Last time I made lemon curd I used Amalfi lemons and the end result was amazing. Sadly I'm hopeless at making pastry, I always seem to over work it and it ends uyp quite tough but thankfully my missus is great at making pastry.

Soldato
They look great, I really like a lemon bar.

Last time I made lemon curd I used Amalfi lemons and the end result was amazing. Sadly I'm hopeless at making pastry, I always seem to over work it and it ends uyp quite tough but thankfully my missus is great at making pastry.

Yes, I heard that Amalfi and Meyer lemons are the best, though I couldn't get hold of any. But the Eureka lemons are plenty lemony flavour enough and with the sugar I added, I don't think I would have noticed any difference. I never really got puff pastry right, also was tough. But I've found shortcrust pastry to be pretty easy. This particular recipe calls for the ingredients to just come together and no more, no kneading or anything, just a slightly sticky sort of crumbly dough that takes seconds to make and then patted down into the tin and blind baked for 20 minutes.

@Merlin5 I don't think i've been as envious of any of your baking as i am of all of those!

Very kind of you. I wish the power of the internet could magically let me send everyone in La Cuisine a slice. :)

Soldato
But I've found shortcrust pastry to be pretty easy. This particular recipe calls for the ingredients to just come together and no more
.ah.. so it's shortcrust .. like you would have for a lemon curd tart (like jam tarts) I thought it was going to be ~shortbread ... that much lemon curd is quite indulgent

Soldato
.ah.. so it's shortcrust .. like you would have for a lemon curd tart (like jam tarts) I thought it was going to be ~shortbread ... that much lemon curd is quite indulgent

You're correct. I was wrong, it is actually shortbread crust. I got the recipe from Joy of baking and she calls it shortbread crust. It's 113g butter (room temperature), 30g icing sugar, 130g flour and 1g salt. So you've got me thinking now about the difference between shortcrust pastry and shortbread pastry. They both are made with basically the same ingredients. I've made shortcrust pastry before, and that needed very cold butter, bit of water and egg, but this recipe only needs room temperature butter. So I think the difference must just be that shortbread crust is softer and crumblier.

Back
Top Bottom