• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Associate
I'd say the 5700XT is massive overkill for 1080p gaming. What's the refresh rate of your monitor?

I have 3x 1080p monitors at 60hz and a 4k TV. So very flexible at what I can pick and set up.

Just tried 4K at 50% resolution scale at ultra for BF4 with a 970 and seems to cope okay but will be nice with a 5700xt

Associate
You must work for Sony or Microsoft as you talk facts when not much is known about next gen. From what I have read they are using ssd's, zen 2 and an and gpu with no spec confirmed. They did say targeting 4k 60fps so it will be something pretty potent. 4 x the current console power was mentioned at some point as well.

Let's look at current retail for components:

5700: 340
3600: 180
2gb SSD: 190

Now prices on components will drop and the margin will be lower on them but they are going to struggle that as is.

The SSD will have to be small and you won't fit many big games on it. Ofcourse you'll be able to buy models with bigger SSDs

Soldato
1080ti +20% is nearly knocking on 2080ti performance. If you are expecting that out of an APU next year then prepare to be very dissapointed.

Rumours so far peg the PS5 as over 14Tflops, which is higher than a 1080ti's 11Tflops. Factor in console optimization, and the PS5 will be a complete monster, that cannot be matched outside the imaginary games that scale 100% with 2080SLI.

Soldato
I have 3x 1080p monitors at 60hz and a 4k TV. So very flexible at what I can pick and set up.

Just tried 4K at 50% resolution scale at ultra for BF4 with a 970 and seems to cope okay but will be nice with a 5700xt

All this talk of 1080P - once the new gen of consoles release, 1080P will be the new 720P - how many people talk/care about 720P today?

Associate
But Pc's have Mods better graphic settings Ray tracing etc and we will probably get some other fancy tech in games that consoles won't have for another few years
it's also great that consoles are catching up to PCs as it means GPU venders will have to come up with snazzy and fancy new settings for PC to keep the custom otherwise people will just move over to a cheaper experience

Soldato
Rumours so far peg the PS5 as over 14Tflops, which is higher than a 1080ti's 11Tflops. Factor in console optimization, and the PS5 will be a complete monster, that cannot be matched outside the imaginary games that scale 100% with 2080SLI.

If you are expecting 2080 sli levels of performance you are going to be extremely disappointed.

GTX 1080/5700 levels of performance is highly likely given what we have seen. Even leaked benchmarks back that up. No “monster” by any means even now. Never mind 2020 and another round of gpu’s. It will be a low/mid range equivalent.

You only need look at the X1X and it’s so called monster specs to find out how much “console optimisation” you’re looking at. Answer is not a great deal when comparing current gen tech. Specs are 1060 level and comparing to a pc with a 1060 it performs pretty much the same.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure people are expecting them to perform like a £1200 gpu, but I think PC elites might need to accept that consoles arent giving people terrible experiences. Infact in my experience my console gaming friends seem to have a far less critical view on gaming than I do, and as a result they get far more fun out of it.

"as developers intended"

Associate
I’m a console and pc gamer. I just take each variations at face value. I find some games i will only play on console and others on pc.

Rarely I have both the same game on both console and pc... do you?

Soldato
OP
I’m a console and pc gamer. I just take each variations at face value. I find some games i will only play on console and others on pc.

Rarely I have both the same game on both console and pc... do you?

I play most of my games on pc but I play exclusives on consoles. Nintendo games never fail to impress me. They are flawless and I never give a crap about framerate when I play them. However when I play on my pc I end up faffing about with settings. Annoys me.

Soldato

Please stop comparing tflops... it's 100% meaningless trying to compare AMD's tflops to Nvidia's tflops - tflops is not some magical universal number, it does not have any perfect relationship with actual performance and is not representative of IPC.

Secondly, the PS5 will be using a RX6700 inside it - and since that is a 2020 GPU, I'm pretty sure no one knows the specs of it. The 14tflop number comes from the devkits - devkits are just off the shelf PC parts stuck together and are ALWAYS more powerful than the actual console.

You know what off the shelf AMD part is 14tflop? That's right the Radeon VII, so there goes bye bye your dream of 2080SLI performance. It doesn't matter how good the optimization is, the PS5 with a RX6700 will not be double the performance of a Radeon VII

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Gpus are currently overpriced but next gen consoles doing 4k/60fps in the majority of games is nothing but a pipe dream.

Is it though? Lots of developers have come out in recent weeks talking about performance of the next gen consoles. 4k/60fps is being said a lot.

Have you seen games like Horizon Zero Dawn on a decent TV? Considering the hardware that manages that game at 30fps, the next gen is likely to hit 60.

Soldato
People have to remember that its not so straight forward to compare the specs based on Tflops with the previous gen, since RDNA does have a clear advantage over GCN in a number of situations.

The 5700/XT are also mostly using GCN based optimisations right now, they work well but they will likely gain more performance as more RDNA focused optimisations work their way into the drivers.
For the consoles they will be using the hardware straight up and it should be much easier to optimise graphics workloads for it compared to the older GCN based consoles due to the new Work Unit model / dual CU and the new dual SIMD32 CU layout.

Soldato
Then how do you justify a £1000 gpu?

I was getting 4K at 60 fps on a GTX 780 Ti 4-5 years ago. Naturally, I didn't have all the game settings maxxed, but settings were a mixture of Medium and High. People need to stop and think and consider how much better the graphics are from one setting to the next. Can you actually notice the difference when you're playing? All too often - particularly when going from High to Ultra - the answer is no.

Associate
I was getting 4K at 60 fps on a GTX 780 Ti 4-5 years ago. Naturally, I didn't have all the game settings maxxed, but settings were a mixture of Medium and High. People need to stop and think and consider how much better the graphics are from one setting to the next. Can you actually notice the difference when you're playing? All too often - particularly when going from High to Ultra - the answer is no.

It depends on the game, some benefit more from higher settings than others.

Man of Honour
You only need look at the X1X and it’s so called monster specs to find out how much “console optimisation” you’re looking at. Answer is not a great deal when comparing current gen tech. Specs are 1060 level and comparing to a pc with a 1060 it performs pretty much the same.

Consoles are slowly losing the "fixed hardware" advantage due to the multiple SKUs per generation that they now have.

The X1X is not the target console for any game as they all have to run on the One and S models, so nothing really makes the most of the hardware.

Permabanned
Consoles are slowly losing the "fixed hardware" advantage due to the multiple SKUs per generation that they now have.

The X1X is not the target console for any game as they all have to run on the One and S models, so nothing really makes the most of the hardware.

Exactly look at Ark and PUBG, Being honest this happens all the time it is like talking to a brick wall at times. But people always want to believe and sadly you can see the writing on the wall. There will be multiple versions of the next gen consoles.

First gen Cyberpunk 4k checkerboard with 30fps RT
Second gen Cyberpunk 4k checkerboard 60fps RT

Back
Top Bottom