New Build Dead?

Soldato
Hi, recently posted about upgrading my mobo/cpu/ram and now can't even get it to post. I should add that the CPU box came properly busted up when I got it (inside the outer shipping box).

This all started with the PC freezing (but mouse still moving) every few minutes. The CPU didn't appear to have any issues with CPU usage however. I then tried turning off that c9 state and also setting the ram from auto to the correct settings (1.35v, 3200 MHZ CL14 etc).

That lead to the PC not posting at all. Tried to reset CMOS using a screwdriver and that didn't change anything.

Tried flashback to reinstall the bios (same bios I orginally installed when I first built it).

Trying to flashback resulted in the PC being unable to turn off once it starts - fixed by removing battery.

Tried taking the battery out for 15min.

Tried individual ram sticks

Any ideas?

Spec:

3700x
2x8gb Ballistix Sport LT 3200mhz
B450 Tomahawk
1080 GTX
Corsair TX950w

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OMG doing another flashback after resetting the battery may have gotten me somewhere. Will report back in a bit.

:EDIT:

Died again the moment I tried to reboot with 3200mhz CL16 1.36V on a single stick

Frustrating...

Soldato
OP
Can you leave the RAM at Auto for the time being?

With the CPU stable (as you believe it to be in OP) run some RAM test software. See if any of them are faulty.

Good point, will do that now. Seems flashing the bios each time an overclock fails works at least.

The CMOS jumper seems a waste of time. Always had a button before, I’m just leaving the pc plugged in and holding a screwdriver between the pins for 20 sec.

Soldato
OP
So far no crash running P95. Noteworthy that the ram is very underclocked on auto at 1200MHZ and 16-16-16-39-53 T1

Wonder if I've just got ram that can't reach 3200MHZ. Going to let P95 run another hour since I want to see what CPU temp reaches (had massive issues getting the heatsink on and conscious it's contact could be poor).

May end up RMAing the ram if it can't do 3200MHZ CL16 @ 1.35V since it's rated at that.

Edit: just noticed despite installing the chipset drivers and this Adrenalin stuff 3 times, they’re still not installed apparently. Willing to bet it can’t support 3200mhz without them.

Soldato
Don't forget that DDR RAM is double what it's reported at i.e. you're seeing 2400MHz.

It's perfectly possible that a bad overclock is upsetting your BIOS config. Lots of crashes from the same can also mess up your Windows install - reinstall Windows once you've got your overclock dialled in.

Soldato
OP
Ok I'm losing my mind now. For the love of god I cannot get the chipset drivers to install. I download them, run them, restart PC. Check the MSI "live" app to see what drivers you're missing and it says they're not installed. In fact, it says it for all the ones I've installed.

Seems pointless or me to try and overclock my ram so long as I can't get these installed.

Can't even find "chipset" in device manager to check there.

Don't forget that DDR RAM is double what it's reported at i.e. you're seeing 2400MHz.

It's perfectly possible that a bad overclock is upsetting your BIOS config. Lots of crashes from the same can also mess up your Windows install - reinstall Windows once you've got your overclock dialled in.

Good point, been many years since I did all this - not since my 2500k!

Soldato
OP
Tried installing AMDs ones instead then tried a 3000mhz overclock at 1.35v all auto timings and it’s failed to post.

It’ll get to windows at 2800 MHz at least but looked like it failed a post a couple times doing it.

I’ve had it for today. First time doing AMD and never seen such a flimsy motherboard that can’t even post when underclocking ram against its spec. Maybe the ram is just crap.

Soldato
Maybe the ram is just crap.
If it has AES within the product code - it's E-Die and great for your build.

The memory issues are a known problem for some users (any memory) - but could be any combination of components/reasons for some users having issues. Hopefully they'll get the new revised BIOS out quickly...

Last edited:
Associate
Comment doesn't help OP (whilst they run tests to track stuff down). But this is also why I stopped going bleeding edge (newly released tech) unless someone else is paying AND the tech has matured a bit already (gone through a revision or two to work out any problems). Hated the AGP/PCIe jump, hated the SDRAM/DDR change, SATA, and a whole bunch more, as I couldn't properly diagnose which item was causing the issue in case it was just bleeding edge tech playing up against each other (and burning through RMA/Warranty periods whilst others catch up and help diagnose what the issue is).

To OP: Personally, I'm more a bit concerned about nothing being detected for driver installation. Hopefully the BIOS update fixes it, but lets be honest, when have people really expected things like drivers to work from BIOS fixes? Driver fixes? Sure. BIOS? Not from my gen of IT it didn't.

Soldato
OP
These are indeed AES, 3200mhz modules.

Tried booting at 1.4v 3000mhz and no dice.

Anyone know a better way to confirm the chipset drivers I have? At this point it looks like either a motherboard RMA or ram.

Seems like I have a hard cap at 2800mhz and even then it cycles posting just to get through that it seems.

I don’t know if my issue is I can’t seem to install chipset drivers or perhaps they are installing and I can’t identify them. MSI’s own tool certainly can’t seem to.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if you've tried a different program than the one you used to unzip the chipset file. I've had it happen before on a couple of occasions that Windows' own program (apparently) failed to extract properly and then the drivers wouldn't install, used 7-zip and it worked. Usually the first program I install after installing Windows, is 7-zip, because of that.

Soldato
OP
Good idea, I'll check that Danny.

Saw someone mention they had to turn XMP on to overclock their ram at all, going to look in to that and try and find that setting in the bios. Didn't see it when I was clicking about.

EDIT:

Thought I'd found out that my ram had the wrong product code but looks irrelevant, just a single stick product code.

Soldato
Question to you guys - I think I may have been sent the wrong ram.

Bios reports:

DDR4 - 2400MHZ
BLS8G4D32AESBK .M8FE

Product page / description on the box:

DDR4 - 3200MHZ
BLS2K8G4D32A ESBK

Not sure if the "max speed" of 2400mhz in the bios means much or if it would have said that regardless. Looks like I may have been packaged the wrong ram to begin with though if the product codes don't match?

Get CPU-Z up, check the SPD tab. Usually the JEDEC entry to the far right is the correct spec for the RAM.

Soldato
OP
Ok then guys so I'm unsure what to do next. Tried XMP, tried installing the chipset using 7 zip instead.

I need to decide if I RMA my motherboard or ram. The chipset issues make me think motherboard, but I'm also wondering if these boards just don't play well with crucial ballistix and instead I should return that and get new ram.

What's the best way to confirm the chipset version of a mobo?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok then guys so I'm unsure what to do next. Tried XMP, tried installing the chipset using 7 zip instead.

I need to decide if I RMA my motherboard or ram. The chipset issues make me think motherboard, but I'm also wondering if these boards just don't play well with crucial ballistix and instead I should return that and get new ram.

What's the best way to confirm the chipset version of a mobo?
Or you could just wait until MSI get the BIOS's working right, it's not even 3 weeks until after launch, it's annoying but B450 boards will more than likely have issues, if you want to get rid of them RMA the board and get yourself a X570.

Back
Top Bottom