• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

70c idle temps 3800x

Associate
I can see my cpu is running at 1.4v constantly and is idling around 70c. Can anybody help me, I have checked most of the threads discussing this issue but cannot find anything that works for my setup.
I tried the MSI bios on a x570 board and cannot find a Normal cpu voltage setting to try. I have tried the power plans and cant see any difference.
Getting a bit worried running the system all day now.
vyAnBgh.png

Associate
OP
You have no voltage options in the BIOS?
Of course but what should I be setting, As far as I know this cpu and mobo should be able to sit idling at 3.9ghz and then power up to 4.5ghz for a boost but it seems stuck on 4.5 no matter what setting i choose.
Would you recommend to drop it to 1.3v?

Associate
I just had a look at mine and it was doing the same exact thing, however my 3800X would actually go down to 36C more or lesson idle. The voltage was constantly between 1.44-1.49v. I turned off my keyboard's background process which controls the RGB and Macros, CPU voltage dropped to 1.031v automatically and now scales normally.

Check what you have running since it might be causing "wakelocks".

Associate
I can see my cpu is running at 1.4v constantly and is idling around 70c. Can anybody help me, I have checked most of the threads discussing this issue but cannot find anything that works for my setup.
I tried the MSI bios on a x570 board and cannot find a Normal cpu voltage setting to try. I have tried the power plans and cant see any difference.
vyAnBgh.png

Have a read through this

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ceth7w/the_primary_reason_for_high_zen2_tempreature_may/

Associate
go into Ryzen master and disable PBO. Your temps will come down.

THe chips are a bit sensitive to the needs of users it seems and keep voltage up in PBO.

I think we'll be seeing a bios patch before to long.

Associate
for those with high volts, AMD are recommending lowering the minimum setting in the power plan. Just tried it and it's stopped my CPU idling at 1.45v

Associate
Is this in Ryzen Master? Mind sharing a screenshot of your settings?
It is from the reddit thread updated by AMD Guy Robert something

EDIT 7/18/19 As a temporary workaround, you can use the standard Windows Balanced plan. Edit this plan to use 85% minimum processor state, 100% maximum processor state. (Example). This will chill things out as we continue to work this issue. Your 1T and nT scores shouldn't change at all (+/- the usual run-to-run variance). This will preserve boost, retain cc6 core sleeping, preserve idle downclocking/downvolting, but make the CPU more relaxed about boosting under light loads.

Please note that it is totally normal for your Ryzen to use voltages in a range of 0.200V - 1.500V -- this is the factory operating range of the CPU. It is also totally normal for the temperature to cycle through 10°C swings as boost comes on and off. You will always see these characteristics, as they're intended, so do not be surprised to see such values. :)

Please do not undervolt the chip or set a maximum processor state of 99%. These are ineffective and/or detrimental changes.

We appreciate the reports everyone has provided, and they are helpful. I will make an all-new post when I have a more comprehensive update to share. Thanks for your patience. ♥

Associate
OP
Last night I just capped the volt to 1.35 and it was running at 3.9ghz with seemingly no boost on and temps were idling around 40-50 trying out a few games it only ever went up to 65c which I am a lot mroe comfortable with right now but the cpu shouldnt be running like this. This is with PBO off, wondering if I put PBO on and cap the voltage it will boost at all? but I will play more with it when I get home today.

Soldato
vyAnBgh.png

Voltage has nothing to do with why your idle temperature is so high. You have a bad mount.

Check hwinfo64.

P = V * I

If you have no load and therefore low current, P is low.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom