9700k overvolting and high temps - How do I stop it?

Associate
I've just got a i7-9700k which I've had at 4.9 with 1.295-1.300 I'm seeing some issues with XMP. When I enable it temps are 10c higher. 32gb 3200Mhz, have you got XMP enabled - try it without if you have.

Associate
OP
I've just got a i7-9700k which I've had at 4.9 with 1.295-1.300 I'm seeing some issues with XMP. When I enable it temps are 10c higher. 32gb 3200Mhz, have you got XMP enabled - try it without if you have.

I have my ram setup manually.
XMP doesn't work as it's not support officially.
Have blend on prime and it doesn't fail the ram but fails when the cpu hits heavy load.

On another note, it could possibly just be the fact that avx is just too much for the cpu/mobo. Running realbench never fails, but p95 is another story.

Soldato
What has helped to give a pretty solid fluctuation free vcore for me has been to not bother with an offset.
I have dialled in 1.3 for the vcore and then Turbo for the LLC.

Even tho it will use that voltage constantly the CPU will still drop to 800mhz when idling.

The vcore has been super steady, much more so than when using an offset.

Associate
What ram have you got?
This is mine:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...4000mhz-quad-channel-kit-black-my-096-tg.html

1.4v
Manual timing 18-18-18-38
Enhanced stability
Everything else auto.

Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016ORTNI2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mobo is Aorus pro wifi bios v9, tried with xmp profile 1 and manual. I don't seem to recall seeing enhanced stability, will have to have another go.

cheers

Associate
OP
Ok @Danny75 @Vimes

New settings as below after restting to default in BIOS:

RAM manually setup:
4000mhz 18-18-18-38
Enhanced stability
1.4v

CPU @ 5.0 ghz
AVX - variable settings (see links below)
Turbo Ratio (* core active) - all set to 50
CPU Vcore LLC - normal
Dynamic Vcore (DVID) - -0.085

NOTHING ELSE ALTERED FROM DEFAULT

30 mins on prime95 AVX 4
https://imgur.com/SBnDI2o

1 Hour Realbench AVX 2
https://imgur.com/Jc4k4ti

5 runs Cinebench R20 AVX auto
https://imgur.com/pgewdCU

All seems within reasonable limits, it seems AVX is BRUTAL on this CPU, hence the heavy offset for P95 to lower temps,
I will never use the PC for loads like that, it's pretty much purely a gaming rig.
Will benchmark some games over the weekend and report back.

Opinions?

Soldato
Seems AVX Offset was broken on some Gigabyte boards after a Windows update or something, and it's never been fixed(?). Pity as it's pretty useful for maintaining higher frequencies during non-AVX operations. But if it lowers it all the time then no good. I used a board from a different brand with a 9700K and AVX Offset was working fine though to be fair I only had it 24 hours to play with.

An alternative (bit more involved) to look into is setting a Power Limit (and Current Limit if board also allows). That acts like an AVX Offset once you establish the power and current normal stuff uses (Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility is useful to monitor that), and set the limit very slightly over that. So for example you'd have XTU open while Cinebench R20 is running, spot the max power and current usage, and then set something slightly higher in the BIOS. Then, when you use Prime etc, you should see the frequency drop slightly once it hits those power and current limits so that it doesn't crash or get too hot. I used it to good effect on an old Z87 board which didn't have AVX Offset and it worked a treat. Boards may differ.

Associate
OP
Thanks @Danny75
I will definitely look into that once I have benchmarked a few games. After spending the entire week in a BIOS menu it would be nice to get back to what I actually built the dammed rig for .

Are the temps and volts looking ok otherwise now?
I have noticed my idle temps are around 35-50 but I have found out that the pump on the alphacool aio is actually pretty weak, sure it has all copper/brass parts which is what drew me to it but a weak pump is... well... a weak pump.

May look at a custom loop at some point.
Thank you for all the advise.

Soldato
Are the temps and volts looking ok otherwise now?
I have noticed my idle temps are around 35-50 but I have found out that the pump on the alphacool aio is actually pretty weak, sure it has all copper/brass parts which is what drew me to it but a weak pump is... well... a weak pump.

The more stats you uploaded the more it looked like the AIO was part of the temp issue as well. At 1.214v Vcore (I think that's what CPU-Z was showing in your pic) you could be getting at least 10 degrees lower on Cinebench R20 with a better AIO or a big Noctua or BeQuiet cooler or similar in a decent airflow case.

May look at a custom loop at some point.

Or this.

Associate
OP
The more stats you uploaded the more it looked like the AIO was part of the temp issue as well. At 1.214v Vcore (I think that's what CPU-Z was showing in your pic) you could be getting at least 10 degrees lower on Cinebench R20 with a better AIO or a big Noctua or BeQuiet cooler or similar in a decent airflow case.

I have asked ocuk for a refund on the aio, no way am I paying for this aio, something must have failed inside it to cause this.
Gets rave reviews from various tech sites, benchmarks putting it way ahead of most others.

Associate
OP
So the excessive temperatures you have put down to that cooler.?
What did you use for that last series of tests.?

Do you really want water cooling..?

I refitted the old asetek 360 aio and there was a good 10c difference. Need to test again now I have found a stable oc. But temps are obviously way to hot on the voltages I'm getting.

Back
Top Bottom