How much do you use yours?

Caporegime
Not as much as I’d like although that’s due to work / life getting in the way other than any issue with my Rift itself, I love the sense of scale you get in VR and as a Titanic amateur historian the sense of sheer scale standing at the dockside examining the ships hull in the Titanic Honour & Glory VR demo is truly remarkable.

The technology isn’t perfect but it’s the future of gaming, despite a 43” 4K screen, going back to it is so meh by comparison in terms of immersion.

Associate
I'm starting to tire of mine after a few months yes it's amazing at first but I don't have a dedicated room for it I live in a small 1 bed flat.

I went to the effort of 3 sensors all mounted close to the ceiling after hours of research even screwed in the mounts to the wall so they were sturdy the initial romance period was epic.

A few months down the line I can't be bothered with it I have to move the coffee table and start faffing about making space and making sure I nor anyone else accidentally ***** the TV.

I actually discovered you spend more time faffing about setting it up than you do playing it. And when something goes wrong In vr or is extremely difficult and tedious it's always down to the limited controls and even a saint would have his patience worn thin.

I am glad I have one but I mainly just get bored with any game after 20 mins. I love seeing first timers faces light up and my daughter loves it so it's worth having.

Soldato
I've used my Quest everyday now.

Played superhot in the garden, watched a 3D film which blew away my 65 inch TV. in the morning I did two rounds of beat saber. Realised I'm not at expert level just yet.

The Quest has done that annoying thing VR did to me when I first got my PSVR, it made 2D gaming boring. I was enjoying fractured butt whole but now i just cant be arsed to go back to the slowly boring gameplay it has on offer despite the fact it has awesome production value.

Associate
I tend to only use mine once or twice every couple of months

It’s the lack of decent games that deters me. Apart from maybe Lone Echo the only games I find any fun are the VR capabilities of pancake games such as Elite Dangerous, Alien Isolation and Skyrim

Associate
I bought the Rift 2nd hand from a friend in October last year. I played it almost every day for extended periods up until around Christmas. I have not even powered it up this year. I find myself just playing the Division 2 and other flat screen type games.

Anyone else found the novelty wear off quite quickly and not really use it now?
I'm in the same situation op. Used it for a while and then gave up on it.

Soldato
Less and less. My quest is getting a lot less traction and use but I think its more just a nice handy portable device to have but definitley a luxury item.

My Rift S I haven't used properly for any game yet but thats moreso just because 2D games have me immersed with my new monitor.

BUT I did play Dishonored 2 a couple of days ago. I used the crossbow in the game. It was cool, has different reload spead and upgrade mechanics. You can aim using z and you can kind of try to estimate if it will land the hit.

Then I played in VR for like 3 minutes a game called Sarilege and Archer's tale. It has a weird tutorial/loading screen, where you can shoot a few arrows and targets.

and WOW. It was amazing. I'm not longer clicking a few keys or button presses. I'm getting a bow from behind my back, lining it up, pulling back, estimating where it will land and actually getting better at it each time.

So I think VR is still the superior medium, its just it has a few barriers logistically and in the Rift S's case, audio wise having to put on headphones etc. just makes it that little bit less seemless.

I don't think I'll ever forget RE7VR and I'll never forget Batman Arkham the last 15 minutes or the first 15 minutes and thats where VR is just really sublime.

Its strange. One medium is superior but one is easy and relaxing.

Associate
Mine, like my other gaming goes in bursts of intensive usage to none at all. Just found some youtube videos with a bunch of cool looking paid and free VR games to try out and yet I've bought games for the PSVR I've yet to even play!

I've recently upgraded my PC for my WMR headset and have been enjoying escape room games. My PSVR hasn't been touched for months, mostly down to it being in the living room. Recent heat wave is also off putting for VR time.

Associate
If I'm gaming 99% of the time it's VR now. However, life is getting in the way and gaming time is a lot less than I would like.

I wouldn't use VR for desktop stuff, there is just no point in my opinion.

Associate
Not as much as i should be to justify what I paid for VR.
  1. The wife moans that it looks untidy so I always put it away in a cupboard
  2. It's a faff to get out of the cupboard and set it up
  3. I get motion sickness in flight simulators (DCS World)
  4. The wife has a habit of creeping up on me when I'm using it and going "boo!"
So I tend to reserve it for special occasions when I need the VR high - similar to getting the silver cutlery out and polishing it just for a special meal :D

Associate
VR has turned me into a weird fitness fanatic, so I'm still going every day with some kind of vigorous exercise. Sparc and Racket:NX this week. Am patiently waiting for the Feel Three motion sim to get me back into driving.

Associate
Yeah Dirt 1 was great on PC VR, only speculation at the moment nothing concrete.
Really hope it happens, as Dirt 2.0 is superb and VR would just be the icing on the cake.
Spotted this while Googling, looks like the VR version was outsourced? http://www.climaxstudios.com/dirt-rally-2/ Maybe Codemasters want it kept hidden for a year or so and then re-market Dirt 2 with the VR release for a full price? Will have to wait and see.

Associate
Hardly ever if you excluded beat saber, I find a lot of vr games have limited replay value and not enough AAA style games. However I play beat saber several times a week.

Soldato
Home gaming VR has dropped down to 0% for me but I go to the VR center in Nottingham all the time as I find it far more immersive and fun.

Associate
My interest has just gone up as I have recently bought Dirt Rally 2
I just got the first Dirt Rally from humble bundle for free and have been enjoying that, toying with the idea of getting a wheel and buying the second once i have finished this.

I bought my Rift CV1 about a year ago, used it frequently for about 2-3 weeks and then only used it every 2-3 months after that, I have struggled to find a well polished game that i wanted to sink tonnes of hours into.
Most games i find are the arcade style games with no or very little story and limited gameplay, Gorn and Beatsaber for example. Bethesda games are great but the VR implementation is incredibly poor and i have played them too much in 2d to put up with the immersion breaking issues they have.

Now i have moved house which means i have a bigger play space, and with the release of No Mans Sky's update, and due to the free copy of Dirt Rally, my headset has been used almost every evening for the past 2 weeks and i am very tempted to upgarde to the Rift S

Associate
I just got the first Dirt Rally from humble bundle for free and have been enjoying that, toying with the idea of getting a wheel and buying the second once i have finished this.

I bought my Rift CV1 about a year ago, used it frequently for about 2-3 weeks and then only used it every 2-3 months after that, I have struggled to find a well polished game that i wanted to sink tonnes of hours into.
Most games i find are the arcade style games with no or very little story and limited gameplay, Gorn and Beatsaber for example. Bethesda games are great but the VR implementation is incredibly poor and i have played them too much in 2d to put up with the immersion breaking issues they have.

Now i have moved house which means i have a bigger play space, and with the release of No Mans Sky's update, and due to the free copy of Dirt Rally, my headset has been used almost every evening for the past 2 weeks and i am very tempted to upgarde to the Rift S
You would not regret going S, I did the same a month ago, great upgrade was skeptical at first but am really happy with it, my driving sims looks all so sharper.

Back
Top Bottom