Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Associate
without liner not quiet tight but with you should be able to move and breath .. I like mine looseish as long as the pads stay in place if you come off all is good

Yeah it's fine without the liner but with it it's to tight I'd say, Should I send it back and just get 2 jackets? One with a thermal and just a separate rain jacket?

Associate
What're peoples preferences for hard luggage? Looking at 40L+ top box options, can't decide between going OEM or down the roads of Givi etc.

Associate
I'll probably go Givi, the bike itself came with 2 Suzuki panniers but the OEM top box is only 38L.

As for intercom vs earphones, what're peoples preferences? Only looking for something to help with SatNav more than rider to rider comms..

Man of Honour
I'll probably go Givi, the bike itself came with 2 Suzuki panniers but the OEM top box is only 38L.

As for intercom vs earphones, what're peoples preferences? Only looking for something to help with SatNav more than rider to rider comms..

Be wary of the weight limits of the mounting hardware for top boxes as a bigger box doesn't increase the weight you can hold. On my MT-10 the limit is 10Kg and for good reason, but I have a 47L box to fit 2 helmets in when off the bike.

I use Shure SE215 for music on motorway trips (I just look at the satnav/phone on my bars for directions) and they are far better than any in-helmet speakers. I do have a Sena for communications which is OK up to about 90kmh but I rarely use it.

Associate
I need more than 38L as my bonce is on the larger end of the range :o Would just be used as storage for work shoes/lid etc. on commute

Soldato
So, i'm selling the SV in a few weeks to a friend. It's been SORN'ed since April when i bought my new bike. Therefore it's not taxed and it's MOT has expired. So, I was going to insure it for a week or so (around £90) :( in order to get it MOT'd and also just test it after we've replaced brake fluid, pads, spark plugs, oil/filter etc. However, I can't tax it without a valid MOT. And it's illegal to ride it on the road to an MOT without tax.. I'm aware you can use a vehicle without an MOT as long as you're travelling directly to an MOT garage.

Advice? Otherwise it's going to have to go to hers in the back of a van

Taken from Gov.uk website " You can only drive a vehicle with a SORN on a public road to go to or from a pre-booked MOT or other testing appointment. You face court prosecution and a fine of up to £2,500 if you use it on the road for any other reason."

So that says to me, you can ride it to MOT garage in order to get it MOT'd while it's SORN'ed. THen obviously as soon as it's MOT'd you'd tax it which automatically cancels SORN.

Another option is just to take out a new policy on the SV have it insured for a few days while I MOT it, test ride it and then take it over to hers and just cancel the insurance. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I used to think going for an impromptu ride was exciting... after doing 82 miles a day to work for the last few weeks, I’m ready to quit :p

In fact, I’ve not got on the bike for about a week (since my car has been available) and that’s not like me.

Lesson: don’t change jobs and expect the same excitement when you quadruple your commute.

Transmission breaker
Don
I have done quite a few sunny jaunts to meetings (usually 1-2 hours each way on all sorts of roads) over the last couple of months since I passed, and despite getting a numb/sore bum (how both are possible I never can work out) I am consistently leaving the 7 series sat on the driveway... It's only done about 100 miles since I passed i think!

I am using a cheap Chinese headset from wish, costs about £15 and has been working great. Pairs to my personal and work phone at the same time, and can dish out sat nav from my phone in my pocket, and calls from either phone. Frankly, I am surprised how well it's working for such a cheap price. Only thing is, my Bell helmet is not the best for noise, and over 50mph, I can't hear too well, although the other side can usually hear me fine up to motorway speeds.

Soldato
I've had fewer rides this year than for any year I can recall - just been too busy with other things both in evenings and at weekends. Shame, as the weather has been really good for the most part. I think I've clocked up around 2,000 miles for the year, although I do have a trip to Spain in a couple of months.

Man of Honour
Me neither, I've done maybe 120 miles tops.
I've managed a little more than that but all commuting, I've not had a pointless blast out in about 18 months I don't think. 500 miles a week commuting and trying to save some cash had put stop to burning a couple of tanks of fuel for weekend joyrides.

Hopefully should be able to change that for next season though.

Back
Top Bottom