£85,000 bill for disgraceful misbehaviour on a Jet2 flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
[...]
Because of the low barriers to entry in her role, she is replacable, so they can get away with paying such a low rate - but don't look down on people who work in the service industry or retail (10 years retail here in my past) - because despite the low skill requirement those jobs can be extremely challenging.

I didn't, I'm not really sure what your point is with regards to my post no one said the job isn't hard the question is about the pay?

both partners have to earn well over minimum wage, 50 hours a week to even afford a mortgage.

Not necessarily, one partner can be the main breadwinner still the other might work min wage or might not work, depends on the circumstances. I'm not sure why min wage jobs should need to afford someone a mortgage etc.. and I'm rather skeptical about whether they really used to in the past anyway.

Min wage jobs are fine for say students, young individuals (such as this lady) or indeed partners of higher wage earnings who want some part time work. If someone wants to settle down and start a family though then just go and get some skills and get a better job - the government provides secondary education for free (including vocational courses), funds apprenticeships and provides loans for undergrad and post grad taught courses. There isn't really much excuse for not getting some skills in order to earn more than min wage. I mean even if someone is thick as pig **** they can still train to become say a brick layer and earn a decent wage.

----------------------------

The point here was that the headline bill of £85,000 is just that, a headline, she's not going to pay it and realistically people with the sort of responsibilities that might be able to pay a bill like that are probably less likely to be the sort of people to have multiple prior instances of assault and to kick off to that extent on an airline (not that say high earning city workers don't get drunk and rowdy at times).

I do think that perhaps some sort of part payment could be enforced and rather than the comical situation where some judge decides someone is too poor to pay anything or can only pay a token £1 a week etc.. there perhaps ought to be some shadow fine/collection system via a similar system to student loans. Maybe she comes to inherit the parent's house/estate in future... oops not just IHT she might need to take into account but also this outstanding amount... maybe she finally gets a better job - well she can face deductions beyond a certain amount as per student loans.

Soldato
If only companies paid people what they should be paid to live... what a novel idea, then justice would actually mean something.
Yeah, companies should pay people who put coffee in cups enough so they have £85,000 sitting in the bank to pay these kind of fines. It's DISGRACEFUL they don't, no wonder she did this!

Man of Honour
I understand the reason that Baristas are not well paid, its a low skill job that you can be trained to do to a competent level in a couple of months. With that said, its a horrible job and extremely hard work.

My other half runs a chain coffee shop in the city. Her contracted hours are 47.5 hours a week. The store opening hours are 6.30 to 6 Monday to Friday - to complete all the tasks for opening she needs to be there for around 5.30am, if she is closing she'll leave at 6.30-7. A "double shift" is basically 12 hours on your feet, non stop. Its a busy store, there are usually queues even outside of peak hours. There is no paid sickness, lunch breaks are unpaid although food on shift is subsidised.

I'm in a niche accounting role, paid 3x what she earns. I work hard, my job is challenging, but despite all that hers is harder - if you offered me the same money I'm on now to do it, I wouldn't.

Because of the low barriers to entry in her role, she is replacable, so they can get away with paying such a low rate - but don't look down on people who work in the service industry or retail (10 years retail here in my past) - because despite the low skill requirement those jobs can be extremely challenging.
Barristas should definitely be better paid and it really is a hard job. But another significant difference is that she is paid for her time but you are paid for your knowldedge and experience, not time.

Soldato
30 years ago people had the sense to live w/in their means too.

Tbf, you would have been a bit more accurate if you had said 40 years ago, but even then it wasn't due to sense, just the banks hadn't twigged yet that giving everyone access to easy credit made them loadsamoney! :p

You have to realise that nowadays our whole economy is based on people spending more then their means (utilising credit) and our economy would tank if everyone was sensible! :D

Soldato
I actually agree. 30 years ago, a man went out to work, 40 hours a week, his wife would stay home and look after the kids etc, his wage was enough to pay the mortgage, the bills, feed the family, run a car etc etc, 30 years later, to even afford a home, both partners have to earn well over minimum wage, 50 hours a week to even afford a mortgage. The world is ******d. But, that's a whole other thread.

No the U.K. is ******. On large portions of the continent life just isn’t that expensive. House prices in the U.K. are a joke. Future generations have zero chance of buying unless they get some serious help from their parents.

As for this dizzy bint. Why didn’t they restrain her faster and carry on to the destination?? I can’t believe 2 or 3 men couldn’t overpower her and hold her in a seat while they ziptie her down. Knock her/him on their arse if necessary. The safety of the plane comes first.

Soldato
Its a bill which will never get paid though. If they try to chase it they will end up spending far more than they ever get back.

Soldato
I actually agree. 30 years ago, a man went out to work, 40 hours a week, his wife would stay home and look after the kids etc, his wage was enough to pay the mortgage, the bills, feed the family, run a car etc etc, 30 years later, to even afford a home, both partners have to earn well over minimum wage, 50 hours a week to even afford a mortgage. The world is ******d. But, that's a whole other thread.

I have to disagree with most of this. We live in an incredibly comfortable age in First World countries and yet rose-tinted spectacles are often erroneously applied to the past. Any student of history knows how utterly terrible things were compared to now.

Soldato
Don't overcomplicate things.

a) Bill her £500 a year direct from wages and review at regular intervals to increase the amount
b) accept that a meaningful proportion of it can never be recovered and add £2 to the cost of all Jet2 holidays as an 'acceptable cost for added risk of doing business' with the broad customer demographic they accept. Then slap a more 'reasonable' fine on her.

I imagine that normal controls in place designed to prevent this sort of thing have completely failed, i.e. they allowed her to board the plane when overly intoxicated and presumably she then continued to 'refresh' herself with what she thought was a bargain from airport duty free. In today's society I'd be surprised if there wasn't some lawyer contacting her to say that the airline failed in its responsibility to not allow her to board when intoxicated.

Caporegime
a) Bill her £500 a year direct from wages and review at regular intervals to increase the amount

Would be nice if they could but realistically she doesn't seem like the person who is sensible with money/lives within her means even if earning min wage etc...

I agree re: the airline probably failing to spot it... though she is seemingly an alcoholic and so perhaps a higher tolerance in general and might not have been so obvious upon boarding - especially mixed in with plenty of other similar passengers, I mean everyone has taken a Ryan air or easy jet flight and seen the state of some of the British public - various people who look like they're ****ed even when sober. Much of it could have come from, as you say, something purchased in duty free.

Soldato
The profit margins on coffee are insane though, right at the top with cinema popcorn.
There was a really interesting part of The Undercover Economist (book) that looked at coffee stands and how profitable they are.

It focused on coffeee shops in buisy stations where whilst the margins are great on coffee, due to the footfall the cost of renting the space was so astronomical that it becomes almost impossible to make a decent money from them.

Associate
I imagine that normal controls in place designed to prevent this sort of thing have completely failed, i.e. they allowed her to board the plane when overly intoxicated and presumably she then continued to 'refresh' herself with what she thought was a bargain from airport duty free.

This.

The vast majority of these sorts of problems can be resolved at the boarding gate. Or when the passenger first enters the aircraft, the senior cabin crew member should really be checking people for potential problems like this. The problem is that offloading a passenger can take quite a bit of time as their bags have to be located from the hold and removed. I suspect this leads people to look the other way. Plus the inevitable torrent of abuse that such a decision brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom