Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Soldato
IINM he went on strike or at least threatened to go on strike.
Yes but in protest at being sold to Moscow was my understanding. The club were selling regardless, I wasn't aware of him being disruptive in order to get sold. He didn't even want to sign for Southampton supposedly but was left with no option after falling out with Salzburg for refusing the Moscow transfer.

Don
At being sold to Moscow or not being sold to Dortmund? I'm sure I read something since signing for us about it (because of the Klopp link) and how he was trying to push for a move to Dortmund.

Soldato
He wanted to go to Dortmund and refused to go to Moscow but he was up for sale regardless, he hadn't agitated his way to a move by signing Dortmund shirts while he was a Salzburg player or anything like that as far as I'm aware.

Don
He wanted to go to Dortmund and refused to go to Moscow but he was up for sale regardless, he hadn't agitated his way to a move by signing Dortmund shirts while he was a Salzburg player or anything like that as far as I'm aware.
I don't know the exact details, I'm sure I read that he threatened to strike to get his move to Dortmund - the fact that a bid was accepted with somebody else doesn't really change his actions. It's beside the point though, I'm sure there's been numerous players over the years that have signed for Southampton that have kicked up a fuss, whether directly to get their move to Southampton or before that. Clubs sign players knowing full well that if and when they get a better offer they'll want to leave and that they have or will do whatever they can to get that move. Equally clubs will do the same to shift a player they don't want. Clubs aren't loyal to players and we shouldn't expect players to be loyal to clubs either.

edit: another quick point. Football can be very political at times too. Clubs never want to be seen to be actively selling their best players. The summer Liverpool sold Mascherano there was a story about Mascherano supposedly refusing to play vs City, something Hodgson half back tracked on when directly asked about and something Mascherano has said was an outright lie too. I've since seen it suggested that Christian Purlsow (the then MD) had made him unavailable due to the impending transfer.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I don’t think our transfer budget is £40m. The stuff I’m seeing from us makes me think we’ve got a much bigger reserve than the board are letting on. Just a pathetic attempt to try and keep the prices down imo. Looks like Saliba is on the verge of being wrapped up for £27m, Tierney’s still a big possibility, plus there’s some others being rumoured as well like Soares, plus an expensive loan deal for Ceballos. I’ll probably be let down as usual, but something just doesn’t feel right to me about this “£40m transfer budget”

Caporegime
It’s the media making out we only have £40mill. I haven’t seen anywhere where the arsenal board have said right £40mill Unai that’s all you got.

But we haven’t got hundreds of millions to spend otherwise we would be looking at the cheaper players. Tbh I haven’t even bothered to check which players we are supposedly interested in, other than Zaha and Tierney...both of which look to be dead. Zaha isn’t a player we need especially at the price Palace want. I don’t see anyone else being interested in him either. So unless Palace want a very unhappy chappy in Zaha then they may want to lower their price for him.

I know the other day on sky sports news they had Josh Kroenke saying they want to win trophies etc etc. Tbh I barely paid any attention to what he was saying but it was pretty much the same rubbish the arsenal board keep trotting out yr in yr out.

Man of Honour
For me the difference is in behavior - it's not just about players wanting to leave a club to move on.

Mane wanted to leave, so did Clyne, so did Lambert, so did Wanyama, so did Schneiderlin, so did Cork, so did Shaw etc. etc. but you won't find them on a list of our fans hated ex-players.

You will find players like VVD, Lovren and Lallana though, who left in a disrespectful manner. Comments like 'my head is at Liverpool' whilst still a contracted Southampton player? Signing Liverpool shirts while still a contracted Southampton player? That's what people don't like.

I don't expect people to be loyal but I do expect them to act with a bit of respect to their club and fans whilst there.

I can sort of understand the logic of that, for example, I bear no ill will toward Alonso or Ings but I do bear a dislike toward Sterling and that all boils down entirely not to the fact that those players left but the manner in which they did so.

Don
I can sort of understand the logic of that, for example, I bear no ill will toward Alonso or Ings but I do bear a dislike toward Sterling and that all boils down entirely not to the fact that those players left but the manner in which they did so.
How can you compare Ings and Sterling? We were happy to sell Ings, we didn't want to sell Sterling, of course one deal would go smoothly and one wouldn't.

And on Alonso, you do realise that he had been talking to Real over a year before he left? Rick Parry confirmed in an interview a few years back that the club found out that he was talking to Real and wanting to move which started the whole Barry/Alonso saga - in the end Real didn't go ahead with the deal until 12 months later.

I can't think of too many examples where a club has desperately wanted to keep a big name player and yet the transfer has gone through smoothly.

Soldato
This boils down to people getting too attatched to an extent, people forget its also a job to them so moving clubs they view that are a higher calibre would be like a promotion to them.

Caporegime
OP
Excellent good news for Charlton re-signing Jonny Williams on a one year deal. He’s an excellent player and could play in the prem imo. Really good news. They need players like that if they have any chance of staying in the championship.

Apparently has dropped his wage massively too. Nice to see a player put football before money.

Man of Honour
How can you compare Ings and Sterling? We were happy to sell Ings, we didn't want to sell Sterling, of course one deal would go smoothly and one wouldn't.

And on Alonso, you do realise that he had been talking to Real over a year before he left? Rick Parry confirmed in an interview a few years back that the club found out that he was talking to Real and wanting to move which started the whole Barry/Alonso saga - in the end Real didn't go ahead with the deal until 12 months later.

I can't think of too many examples where a club has desperately wanted to keep a big name player and yet the transfer has gone through smoothly.

I can do naught by apologise for my ill thought examples. I'm sorry.

Soldato
If Arsenal actually complete the singing of Saliba, Tierney and Soares it would have been a good summer.

Only downer is Saliba wont be available for a year but he's a highly rated highly in demand yound CB so looking good.

Back
Top Bottom