Best AM4 cooler that doesn't overhang RAM?

Caporegime
The Prism is far too loud for me, anyone know of a decent air cooler that wont overhang the DIM slots on an X570 board?

I've got all 4 slots populated and my RAM isn't low profile so I'm limited on compatibility.

Scythe Mugen B seems a good choice. I dont really want to go AIO if I can avoid it.

Associate
I am guessing either the Noctua NH-U12S or A. Personally I am going with the big NH-D15 and I will just move the fan that over hangs the ram up a few mm. You cannot best Noctua cooling, I have had a D14 for years with zero complaints. Oh...they are quiet even at 100%!

Soldato
Unless willing to shovel bucks for very expensive NH-U12A, Scythe has good clearance cooler market pretty well cornered.
And even RGB version is very reasonably priced, unlike most RGB stuff.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=mugen+5

PCGH version comes with slow 800rpm fans, so its worser in cooling performance.
And anyway standard model comes with additional fan clips in case of wanting push-pull fan setup.

I am guessing either the Noctua NH-U12S
NH-U12S isn't worth the money when Mugen 5 is beefier for less and bundled NF-F12 is overall really mediocre with restless sound signature.
(Mugen 5 makes it look anorectic)

Associate
Unless willing to shovel bucks for very expensive NH-U12A... *snip*

NH-U12S isn't worth the money when Mugen 5 is beefier for less and bundled NF-F12 is overall really mediocre with restless sound signature.
(Mugen 5 makes it look anorectic)

Agree. If you go with Noctua brand, the U12S isn't worth it over the U12A. Unless you absolutely need the performance that can be gained from the U12A, the Mugen 5 will serve just as well for coolers with good clearance. Although I'm aware that you're set on the Mugen 5 now anyway from above post, but just to reaffirm the paths available for cooling with good clearance. :)

Soldato
The Prism is far too loud for me, anyone know of a decent air cooler that wont overhang the DIM slots on an X570 board?

I've got all 4 slots populated and my RAM isn't low profile so I'm limited on compatibility.

Scythe Mugen B seems a good choice. I dont really want to go AIO if I can avoid it.
I agree, Mugen B would be a good cooler. It cools well and is low noise doing it.

Associate
I am guessing either the Noctua NH-U12S or A. Personally I am going with the big NH-D15 and I will just move the fan that over hangs the ram up a few mm. You cannot best Noctua cooling, I have had a D14 for years with zero complaints. Oh...they are quiet even at 100%!

Great to hear, DH-15 is likely to be my next purchase and your comment makes me more sure about that.

Soldato
NH-D15 and NH-D15S both cool the same with same fan/s, but NH-D15S has base offset toward PCIe sockets so cooler fins only reaches 67mm toward PCIe sockets while NH-D15 reaches 75mm .. but D15S does reach 83mm away from PCie sockets instead of 75mm for D15, so make sure you have room there.

If you have 171.2mm of CPU clearance and 77.5mm toward PCIe, Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power is 1/3 lower priced with as good or similar performance. Use a higher cfm fan and it's even better. Drop me a trust

Soldato
are you OC'ing the memory? If not just remove the ram heatsinks, as you won't see it under a cooler without ram clearance. I acquired some cheap corsair vengeance which looked just stoopid, but now sits under the cooler no problems.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a U12S on a Gigabyte B450 ITX with Team Group Night Hawk RAM. The cooler fits the board in one orientation only (facing across) due to the VRAM heatsinks. In that orientation, the RAM prevents a fan fro being installed on the RAM side.

Not great. Just thought I'd mention it as a forewarning. I reckon any non-ITX boards would be fine though as the spacing tends to be better.

Associate
I just bought a Cryorig H7 to stick on mine as a stop gap until I replace the very old H100 V1 i currently have on my 3700X with custom water. Not sure how it will handle temp.wise but from what I've seen ram clearance wont be an issue with this cooler

Associate
So my H7 arrived today its angled backwards somewhat so the fans never interfere with the ram slots I've added a second fan on the rear to help with cooling so far its far quiter than my old H100 mainly thanks to no noisey pump which was i think on its way out. temps are actually better than the H100 (not surprising given its age) idles around 34/35 and if you stress the cpu with all cores @4ghz it hits around 74c

Back
Top Bottom