Top Gun: Maverick

Soldato
Can't wait for this, Kenny Loggins has said he wants to do an updated version of Danger Zone for this too.

Wonder if Tom Cruise actually learnt how to fly jets with how involved he gets these days.

Soldato
trailer looks good enough from what they show. i just hope they've updated the HUD imagery from those bright red 80s videogame crosshairs.
some people at the FC forum had pics of Maverick's F18 running the Rainbow.

Soldato
The camera and formation stuff looks stunning.
No there no way ever Cruise would be allowed to fly a jet fighter, and they are not using an active Air carrier.

Soldato
I never understood the love for top gun. Not my bag at all

Same. I love 80s films, but Top Gun just leaves me with a blank expression. For years after it came out, my sister and her friend absolutely loved it to bits. I probably had many days of saying 'not ******* Top Gun again', so I probably built up a dislike for it. :p

Caporegime
Was indifferent to this. And then I saw the trailer.
There was some talk of Freddie Prinze Jr and Drones and I think like most people they were turned off by the idea. Now I know it’s got none of that (or at least none they’ve shown so far) I’m interested again.

Also, is there a better movie intro? I think not.

Last edited:
Soldato
No there no way ever Cruise would be allowed to fly a jet fighter, and they are not using an active Air carrier.

Seen this posted a lot, just to clarify that using the two seat F/A-18F with an instructor in the back and with Cruise already being a pilot - Yes he would have flown the jet at some point and maybe even have had some footage shot in-cockpit of him doing that. How do I know? Well I'm not a trained pilot (PC flight sims only) but I was allowed to fly a Harrier T10 (trainer for the GR7) for about 10-15 minutes over the Wash area with an instructor hovering over the controls and talking me through everything while we did loops/spins etc - it's very common in the UK/US military for these trips to occur and to allow non-pilots (VIP's, goodbye to personnel trips, cadets etc) to have a go at flying during the flight.

Now that doesn't mean Cruise would have been doing the low level stunt flying we see in the film, which would have been done by actual Hornet pilots with Cruise just sat upfront doing nothing, but the general claim that a non-military "aren't allowed" to fly military planes is wrong so I just wanted to clear that up.

Soldato
I watched Top Gun on Now TV last night. I'd forgotten how cheesy and far fetched it was. Not the piloting, but the romance between Maverick and Charlie.

In their first encounter he tries to have her on the ladies toilet counter top, then within a wee she falls head over heels for him to the point she drives through red lights like a crazy woman after him to have sex. If this was made in 2019 we'd be thinking she had mental health issues and he was a predator who needs locking up.

Soldato
I watched Top Gun on Now TV last night. I'd forgotten how cheesy and far fetched it was. Not the piloting, but the romance between Maverick and Charlie.

In their first encounter he tries to have her on the ladies toilet counter top, then within a wee she falls head over heels for him to the point she drives through red lights like a crazy woman after him to have sex. If this was made in 2019 we'd be thinking she had mental health issues and he was a predator who needs locking up.

There's a lot of women that would fall into bed with a handsome fighter pilot within an hour, let alone a week. Just go to any Weatherspoons and sing "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling", and clear that counter in the ladies loo. Moreso in the eighties.

Back
Top Bottom