Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
I'd be more excited by a new Wear OS chipset. I think that counts for most people though; Galaxy Watch levels of smoothness and battery life with Google Assistant, Google Pay, and the Play Store would be ideal.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Galaxy Watch turned up today. Turns out it's a French unit, so the default language was French, the charger was for an EU socket etc.

Hopped on Live Chat and had a little moan. 20% refund incoming. So about £125-ish for an essentially brand new Galaxy Watch 46mm. Bargain.

I'm quite impressed that both this and the Active are immaculate despite being listed as "Used - Very Good Condition: Small scratch on rear". Can't find any faults on either item.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Galaxy Watch turned up today. Turns out it's a French unit, so the default language was French, the charger was for an EU socket etc.

Hopped on Live Chat and had a little moan. 20% refund incoming. So about £125-ish for an essentially brand new Galaxy Watch 46mm. Bargain.

I'm quite impressed that both this and the Active are immaculate despite being listed as "Used - Very Good Condition: Small scratch on rear". Can't find any faults on either item.

Can't grumble for £125 mate

I'm loving mine

Soldato
Indeed. I'm just setting the Galaxy Watch up now, but I've had the Active on all day. So far, I'm quite impressed.

I'm fairly certain the Active is going back. It looks silly on my big wrists, the screen is too small, there's no speaker, navigation is more cumbersome, and it's actually more expensive given the refund. Plus my Fossil straps from my analogue watch fit the Galaxy Watch, which means I've already got a decent selection of straps for it.

Soldato
Indeed. I'm just setting the Galaxy Watch up now, but I've had the Active on all day. So far, I'm quite impressed.

I'm fairly certain the Active is going back. It looks silly on my big wrists, the screen is too small, there's no speaker, navigation is more cumbersome, and it's actually more expensive given the refund. Plus my Fossil straps from my analogue watch fit the Galaxy Watch, which means I've already got a decent selection of straps for it.

How you getting on with the galaxy?

My buds arrived yesterday. Not quite as good as the ticpods for sound quality, not much in it, but they are so much more comfortable and the touch gestures actually work.

Soldato
I have been a big Apple user for years but got a OnePlus 7 Pro 5G to play with and love it, so thinking of switching to it as my daily driver. The smart watch situation has been bugging me, I have a series 4 Apple Watch and it never quite works right for me with notifications not always coming through. I actually don't need the complexity of the Apple Watch as I always have my phone with me. I have ordered a Withings Steel HR with sapphire glass as I love the idea of charging it only every few weeks but still having notifications with fitness and sleep tracking. Anyone else using one?
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's a bug with the phone.
I have a Garmin Fenix 5 and don't get some notifications straight away, calls often don't come through at all then I will get a notification of a missed call. I have reported the bug as have others.

Worse the phone doesn't even maintain the connection with the watch all that will either so notifications can stop completely sometimes. Locking the app open had helped but it still does it sometimes.

Soldato
How you getting on with the galaxy?

My buds arrived yesterday. Not quite as good as the ticpods for sound quality, not much in it, but they are so much more comfortable and the touch gestures actually work.

The hardware is great; the dial movement feels really good, the screen is a decent size, the battery should easily last me a couple of days. And the software is smooth. The watch itself looks really good with the black leather strap from my old Fossil analogue watch. I really wanted a watch that looks like a watch (which this does).

Only real grumbles relate to Samsung's ecosystem:

The app store is dire; a small selection of mostly broken apps that would likely be free in the Apple or Google ecosystems.

Monzo don't support Samsung Pay. So I've stuck £100 in my Starling account so I have some cash if I don't have my phone with me.

I've had to swap from Google Fit to Samsung Health. Not a problem so much as a simple inconvenience.

While I can send and receive text messages from the watch, any messages I send don't show up on my phone.

Notifications are, mostly, one way. You can see a news headline, but not the full story. Or the subject line of an email, but can't read the whole email.

I'm happy enough with it. But as soon as there's a Wear OS device that runs as smooth, with the same amount of battery life, I'll likely change over.

Soldato
The hardware is great; the dial movement feels really good, the screen is a decent size, the battery should easily last me a couple of days. And the software is smooth. The watch itself looks really good with the black leather strap from my old Fossil analogue watch. I really wanted a watch that looks like a watch (which this does).

Only real grumbles relate to Samsung's ecosystem:

The app store is dire; a small selection of mostly broken apps that would likely be free in the Apple or Google ecosystems.

Monzo don't support Samsung Pay. So I've stuck £100 in my Starling account so I have some cash if I don't have my phone with me.

I've had to swap from Google Fit to Samsung Health. Not a problem so much as a simple inconvenience.

While I can send and receive text messages from the watch, any messages I send don't show up on my phone.

Notifications are, mostly, one way. You can see a news headline, but not the full story. Or the subject line of an email, but can't read the whole email.

I'm happy enough with it. But as soon as there's a Wear OS device that runs as smooth, with the same amount of battery life, I'll likely change over.

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts although I'm not too fussed with anything other than a decent health app and being able to play spotify. Everything else I'll carry on using my phone. I'm happy enough with samsung health, better than I was expecting.

Natwest doesn't support samsung pay....but in all honesty, I don't think I'll ever pay with my watch.

Soldato

You'll be waiting an extremely long time, if such a thing ever comes. You're talking Google getting an additional 3 days of battery out of WearOS to match the Galaxy Watch and such a large difference isn't just down to the manufacturing process. Ergo, Google will need to drastically change Android for wearables.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Is the 3100 not the latest chipset?

TECH DETAILS

• Storage: 8GB
  • Memory: 1GB
  • Operating System: Wear OS by Google
  • Sensors: Accelerometer, Altimeter, Ambient Light, Gyroscope, Heart Rate, Microphone, NFC, Untethered GPS
  • Compatibility: Android™ 4.4+ (excluding Go edition), iOS 9.3+
  • Connectivity: Bluetooth Smart Enabled/4.2 Low Energy
  • Battery Life: 36 hr/1 week clock mode **Based on usage**
  • What's In the Box: Quick Start Guide, Magnetic USB Charger
  • Processor: Quallcomm Snapdragon 3100

MOVEMENT
  • Functions: Heart Rate Tracking/GPS/Google Pay™/Swimproof/Notifications/Personalise Your Dial/Control Your Music/Interchangeable Watch Band

FUNCTIONALITY
  • Outside Temperature: Yes
  • Heart Rate: Yes
  • Activity Tracker: Built-In Fitness Tracker
  • Touchscreen: Yes
  • Notifications: Text/Email/Social Media/App Alerts/Multiple Time Zones/Alarm Clock/Calendar Alerts
  • Timer: Yes
  • Text and Voice: Yes

Soldato
Is the 3100 not the latest chipset?

TECH DETAILS

• Storage: 8GB
  • Memory: 1GB
  • Operating System: Wear OS by Google
  • Sensors: Accelerometer, Altimeter, Ambient Light, Gyroscope, Heart Rate, Microphone, NFC, Untethered GPS
  • Compatibility: Android™ 4.4+ (excluding Go edition), iOS 9.3+
  • Connectivity: Bluetooth Smart Enabled/4.2 Low Energy
  • Battery Life: 36 hr/1 week clock mode **Based on usage**
  • What's In the Box: Quick Start Guide, Magnetic USB Charger
  • Processor: Quallcomm Snapdragon 3100

MOVEMENT
  • Functions: Heart Rate Tracking/GPS/Google Pay™/Swimproof/Notifications/Personalise Your Dial/Control Your Music/Interchangeable Watch Band

FUNCTIONALITY
  • Outside Temperature: Yes
  • Heart Rate: Yes
  • Activity Tracker: Built-In Fitness Tracker
  • Touchscreen: Yes
  • Notifications: Text/Email/Social Media/App Alerts/Multiple Time Zones/Alarm Clock/Calendar Alerts
  • Timer: Yes
  • Text and Voice: Yes

I sit corrected.

Hope reviews come out soon.

Back
Top Bottom