• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Soldato
Actually, just discovered that it wasn't the UV that was crashing the stress test, it was switching monitor inputs!! lol!

I was setting the test running, then switching over to do work on my laptop that was also plugged into the same monitor. Whenever I changed back to check it, the test crashed!! How odd!

Anyway, stable as you like at 987mv in Timespy extreme :)
Noice

Associate
Actually, just discovered that it wasn't the UV that was crashing the stress test, it was switching monitor inputs!! lol!

I was setting the test running, then switching over to do work on my laptop that was also plugged into the same monitor. Whenever I changed back to check it, the test crashed!! How odd!

Anyway, stable as you like at 987mv in Timespy extreme :)
Ah cool. You might get to 1900mhz core for just a little more voltage too. 1000-1020mv I'd think.

Associate
Yeah, will get round to giving overclocking a go soon enough I reckon. Been too busy catching up on games I've not been able to play in 4k before :)

Much real world difference for a 100mhz OC?
I run daily at 1900/1140 hbm @ 1000mv on water. (Stock 1060-1063mv) I can run out of the box at 947mv. A water block reduces power leakage a little hence the low voltages required.
For 4k I'd tweak to get the most you can for free. I game at 4k and its a nice boost over the veg 64 I had under water before this card.

Soldato
Soon these cards will be collectables. As the new navi comes by the end of the year

It's been the same way for many years now. The current fastest GPU for a given company (AMD, NVIDIA) is always only the fastest at that moment. Plans are always in motion to release a faster GPU, so this is to be expected.

Soldato
I think once the AIO 5700XT’s are released we could see almost parity with an overclocked 5700 XT and Vega VII (also once drivers mature a little)

Considering adding AIO or water cooling kit to a Vega VII adds £120 + to the £599 list price I fail to see how the it’s good buy with the release of the NAVI based card.

Sure if you already have a Vega VII the you’re gonna stick with it but if you’re looking for a new card I just can’t see a compelling case for gaming on VEGA VII

Man of Honour
We are still supporting GCN 1.0 the 7970 era, first released back at the end of 2011. We dropped support for HD 6000 and earlier GPUs back in mid 2013.
Thanks. Good to know. But GCN 1.0 is not vastly different to the current GCN and therefore Vega. I can see why it's still supported.

So based on dropping HD 6000 two years after the new architecture was released (2011 to 2013) that might indicate GCN support for two or three years.

Soldato
I'm abit confused, with the Radeon 7 rumoured to be discontinued, isn't this faster than the 5700XT?

Yes, especially when overclocked or when better cooling is used. It will remain the fastest GPU offer before they release the really special Navi cards late this year or next year (5800xt/5900xt). The current Navi cards are mid-range cards.

Man of Honour
I'm abit confused, with the Radeon 7 rumoured to be discontinued, isn't this faster than the 5700XT?
Yes it's faster. As LtMatt says, the gap widens at higher resolutions. But the 5700 XT is not much slower and is a lot cheaper. Big Navi is also likely to be faster but there is no ETA on that. There are pro's and con's to buying a VII against a 5700 XT:

VII Pros
Still faster than a 5700 XT. The XT catches up if overclocked but the VII can also be overclocked.
16gb of high bandwidth RAM might be advantageous in a few years (although much newer and faster cards will be out by then).
Stronger than the XT in 4K.
Much stronger than the XT in productivity workloads such as Compute, modelling and video editing.
The fastest card available for MacOS (hackintosh, eGPU's and the old Mac Pro 5.1).

VII Negatives
Older architecture so driver support life will be shorter than the XT in the future.
Very expensive as a pure gaming card.
No RIS scaling.

5700 XT Pros
Almost as fast as the VII for a lot less money.
New architecture so the drivers will only get better from here.
RIS scaling which is likely to be of benefit in higher resolutions such as 4K.

5700 XT Negatives
Very slightly slower than a VII.
No MacOS support yet (we don't know if this will happen in the future).
A lot slower in productivity workloads.

Back
Top Bottom