Fence Vs Tree

Soldato
Took a greenhouse and a shed down in this corner of the garden that has remained largely untouched since buying the property (5 yrs) in a bid to clear the lot and landscape it, seating area and fire pit.
The fence is obviously knackered so I have bought 5' vertilap panels 1' gravel boards and 8' concrete posts with a view to replacing the whole run.
Problem being the Silver Birch, It's a big old tree and I don't really want to get rid but I can't really see any other solution.
I'll let the pics do the talking
NYqbCmc.jpg

5J5CP1R.jpg

F2PxCt2.jpg

Any solutions???

Caporegime
Just shorten the length of fence before the tree and lengthen it behind, that way you can move the post further from the trees location.

Soldato
OP
I have considered that, but I still will have issues with the gravel board interfering with the tree. I guess I could get the Stihl saw out.
I've put a string up, I can raise the whole fence 2.5" that will hopefully do some good.

Any input on 'clearancing' the tree roots at all?

Caporegime
Clearancing? You mean cutting that rather large root? I’d avoid that if possible. It may not kill it but may well end up weakening it enough that it may lose a branch or two.

I’d just lift the gravel board a bit, or just cut it around the tree, giving a few inches of space for “growing” room.

Soldato
I love trees, but I would be tempted to get rid of that birch because of its position to plant more appropriate trees like Rowan, Crab Apple, Whitebeam etc.

Soldato
Just put the fence around it and do your best. Either that or you are just looking for an excuse to cut the tree down.

The world will be a horrible place once everyone has got rid of all the trees in their back gardens and covered it in concrete and fake grass.

Caporegime
I love trees, but I would be tempted to get rid of that birch because of its position to plant more appropriate trees like Rowan, Crab Apple, Whitebeam etc.

Never understand why people don’t like large trees.

All those trees you suggest are great as understory trees but they aren’t exactly large.

Yes, a tree may fall on your house, but it’s extremely rare, and a large statement tree really benefits a garden. They also take decades to grow to full size, so cutting a tree down should be a lay resort, because you’re unlikely to be able to get that same environment back in the time period you own that house.

That said I’ve planted over a dozen trees in my garden in the last three years, including a couple of big ones (Elm and sSpruce). I know I’m not going to benefit from them completely, but future owners will. Just as I benefit from the large trees past owners have planted in the neighbourhood I live in.

Soldato
tricky that is a lovely tree!
don't cut it down

just thinking if u could start off with a bit of OSB on one side pushing the post of the fence away from the bark of that tree.
otherwise as others have send you'll need to cut into the bark/routes but that might upset the beautiful tree.

good lesson here when buying homes vs positions of trees and ownership of trees.

I'd rather be the person with trees hanging into other peoples garden than people having trees overgrowing on my side. :)

Soldato
OP
cBD7vZZ.jpg

rdrBLxi.jpg

Good news guys. Tree + fence in harmony :)

Ended up digging loads of holes around the tree to find where best we could set the posts straddling.
Had to cut one root that was about 3" in diameter, about 18" from the tree, and I notched the bark a little on the trunk.
Hopefully nothing that will harm the tree.

Thanks for your input!

Back
Top Bottom