Now that's what I call obsolete #103

Caporegime
How is "NOW!" still going? The music compilation CDs I mean.

Given that the music isn't going to appeal to anyone over 12, and youngsters and oldies alike ditched CDs years ago...

How are they still in business selling crap music on an obsolete format?

I just don't get it! Just watched an advert on TV and couldn't believe a relic like this is still going.

Soldato
I still buy CDs and have a friend who buys vinyls. I like reading the inserts and having something physical.

We both use streaming music services but it's just not the same.

Now, I'd never purchase that in any format.

Caporegime
If you buy it from Amazon you get a pre ripped version. And frequently, its cheaper to buy the physical CD, and get the Amazon autorip than it is to just buy the download.

^^^ this, I've got amazon prime, I buy a CD, I get the album on Amazon music too.

Also the CD offers some redundancy, cost of a digital copy is similar enough might as well have both and have the flexibility to rip it wherever.

Caporegime
OP
I still prefer a CD personally.
At home they are better quality, but i rip them for the car and MP3/phone etc.

If you buy it from Amazon you get a pre ripped version. And frequently, its cheaper to buy the physical CD, and get the Amazon autorip than it is to just buy the download.
I'm not signed up to any streaming services, but I was under the impression that you could buy tracks as FLAC, etc, via digital music stores.

Surely then the quality argument is out the window.

And you get to either buy a whole album or just buy the tracks you like, and don't have to skip a load of dross on a compilation CD where you might like 5 of the tracks out of 25.

It's as much that aspect that leads me to be amazed that NOW! is still going.

Soldato
I still prefer a CD personally.
At home they are better quality, but i rip them for the car and MP3/phone etc.

This really.

I'm not signed up to any streaming services, but I was under the impression that you could buy tracks as FLAC, etc, via digital music stores.

Surely then the quality argument is out the window.

And you get to either buy a whole album or just buy the tracks you like, and don't have to skip a load of dross on a compilation CD where you might like 5 of the tracks out of 25.

It's as much that aspect that leads me to be amazed that NOW! is still going.

A lot of the music I like is unfortunately not available on these download services, or of it is not at a quality I want. I buy music from bandcamp and download the FLAC versions where possible and this is great, but some older music I cannot find online so I just buy the CD for £3 or something and rip them.

Sometimes I do find it online I admit but the price is multiple times that of a CD and unless it's the original studio master it's just not worth it.

My first Now was 27 (a quarter of a century ago!!) and I carried on collecting them until the late 60s. Then I discovered that they're all on Spotify in the form of playlists, so I now make my own playlists by picking my favourites from the Now lists.

What I like about the Nows though is that they split the year into 3 instead of 4. So Jan-Apr (Now 102), May-Aug (Now 103) and Sep-Dec (Now 104). The year is more relatable to me in terms instead of quarters.

V F

V F

Soldato
How is "NOW!" still going? The music compilation CDs I mean.

Given that the music isn't going to appeal to anyone over 12, and youngsters and oldies alike ditched CDs years ago...

How are they still in business selling crap music on an obsolete format?

I just don't get it! Just watched an advert on TV and couldn't believe a relic like this is still going.

No they haven't. There are many users on AVS still purchasing CDs. I still purchase CD's from time to time.

Man of Honour
It's not a obsolete format at all. Like many others I still buy CD's, Vinyl, DVD's and BluRays as I prefer to own the physical album/film. Yes I rip the cd's so I can just use a usb stick in the car but I listen to the actual CD in the house. I can usually pick up a CD for less than £2 for a used item that are mainly as new and it's more often than not cheaper than the digital version. It's all very convienient having only digital versions until the service provider calls it a day which is happening with UV and now Flixster as well. Give me the physical item anyday.

V F

V F

Soldato
It's not a obsolete format at all. Like many others I still buy CD's, Vinyl, DVD's and BluRays as I prefer to own the physical album/film. Yes I rip the cd's so I can just use a usb stick in the car but I listen to the actual CD in the house. I can usually pick up a CD for less than £2 for a used item that are mainly as new and it's more often than not cheaper than the digital version. It's all very convienient having only digital versions until the service provider calls it a day which is happening with UV and now Flixster as well. Give me the physical item anyday.

Speaking of vinyl... Saw this last night. A few swearies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom