• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Permabanned
It's a Vega replacement, with the 5700 being a Vega 56, and the 5700 XT a Vega 64. Even the pricing is similar. :)

Navi is inferior compared to Vega. Navi 10 has less transistors, worse memory technology, much smaller die size and ultimately replaces Polaris which is the 3-year-old mid-range.

Associate
Navi is inferior compared to Vega. Navi 10 has less transistors, worse memory technology, much smaller die size and ultimately replaces Polaris which is the 3-year-old mid-range.

Then we haven't even seen the best from AMD yet, as my 5700 XT is leaps and bounds ahead of the Vega 56 I used to own! If this is now mid-range.... good times ahead chaps, very good times!

Permabanned
Then we haven't even seen the best from AMD yet, as my 5700 XT is leaps and bounds ahead of the Vega 56 I used to own! If this is now mid-range.... good times ahead chaps, very good times!

We don't even hear what comes after Navi 10.
Given AMD's focus towards Zen, they have a team or two to work on the GPUs, hence Polaris -> Vega -> Navi, when they need more teams to work to at least three GPUs simultaneously.
Let's hope Dr. Su hires engineers to work on new GPUs!

Associate
We don't even hear what comes after Navi 10.
Given AMD's focus towards Zen, they have a team or two to work on the GPUs, hence Polaris -> Vega -> Navi, when they need more teams to work to at least three GPUs simultaneously.
Let's hope Dr. Su hires engineers to work on new GPUs!

There will be bigger iterations of Navi, it's almost inevitable. When is the real question.

Soldato
Why is it not priced like the rx590? Because greed that’s why - AMd is just copying Nvidia pricing
If AMD "copied" Nvidia pricing, then the 5700 and 5700XT would be at £450/£500 to match the 2070.

I was precisely because they launched them at £330/£375, that the consumers can finally get more bang for their bucks, may they be buying the Navi or the Super cards. Could the price have been better? Possibly, but it was definitely not "copied" Nvidia pricing.

Permabanned
If AMD "copied" Nvidia pricing, then the 5700 and 5700XT would be at £450/£500 to match the 2070.

I was precisely because they launched them at £330/£375, that the consumers can finally get more bang for their bucks, may they be buying the Navi or the Super cards. Could the price have been better? Possibly, but it was definitely not "copied" Nvidia pricing.

They wanted to charge 450$/500$ (for the AE) which was just -30$/+20$ less/more than the 480$ RTX 2070.

Caporegime

You're forgetting the initial pricing.
They pretty much did copy Nvidia lol

Permabanned
The pricing isn't similar.
Vega 64 was $599 without the initial rebate.

Vega has always been the real high-end. It failed and quickly dropped to lower tiers because the architecture is borked and not suitable for gaming.

Navi, on the other hand, is never a high-end, and will probably never see a high-end product, if the next big thing is Arcturus or whatever the Next-gen is called.

Man of Honour
Vega has always been the real high-end. It failed and quickly dropped to lower tiers because the architecture is borked and not suitable for gaming.

Navi, on the other hand, is never a high-end, and will probably never see a high-end product, if the next big thing is Arcturus or whatever the Next-gen is called.

Arcturus I think will be the chiplet that they will use for their raytracing implementation, not a gpu, should be interesting.

Soldato

I’m pretty sure it’s already shown that Arcturus is just the code name for the Xbox one 2. AMD is using Navi for the next while at least and yes they can add more CUs etc to the die, AMD themselves also said the architecture is not complete - the 5700xt only has half of the architecture changes they want to do the other half comes next year

Caporegime

How is the Vega not suitable for gaming? Not arguing, just genuinely interested, as mine steams along perfectly fine.

Permabanned
How is the Vega not suitable for gaming? Not arguing, just genuinely interested, as mine steams along perfectly fine.

Although you have no problem to run the games at all, you notice around 30% less performance than the similarly sized GTX 1080 Ti.
Actually, GP102 is smaller than Vega 10, 471 sq.mm vs 495 sq.mm.

I’m pretty sure it’s already shown that Arcturus is just the code name for the Xbox one 2. AMD is using Navi for the next while at least and yes they can add more CUs etc to the die, AMD themselves also said the architecture is not complete - the 5700xt only has half of the architecture changes they want to do the other half comes next year

Imagine a next-gen RDNA 2.0 GPU:

5120 SPs, 320 TMUs, 128 ROPs, 16GB HBM3, 4096-bit MI.
Performance = 50% higher than RTX 2080 Ti

:D :D

Caporegime
Although you have no problem to run the games at all, you notice around 30% less performance than the similarly sized GTX 1080 Ti.
Actually, GP102 is smaller than Vega 10, 471 sq.mm vs 495 sq.mm.
Just because it performs weaker than a rival, doesn’t mean it’s unsuitable for gaming.

My A-class is the same price as a much faster Seat Leon FR. doesn’t mean it’s not suitable for driving.

Permabanned
Just because it performs weaker than a rival, doesn’t mean it’s unsuitable for gaming.

30% deficit is enormous, the card brings only losses for AMD who are forced to sell it below its BOM value.
It should have been cancelled as a consumer variant, and instead AMD should have offered RX 480 X2 or something.
Larger performance out of two Polaris and maybe the game developers would finally begin to optimise for multi-GPU solutions.

How many times did they repeat that the Vega is not for gamers, they even promised Vega II to never appear as a gaming product. A promise which was broken later.

Back
Top Bottom