Dilemma

Caporegime
HEY GUYS, THIS VERY SECRET THING WHICH MIGHT BACKFIRE ON ME AND MY FRIEND AND PERHAPS OTHER AREAS OF MY LIFE ... SO, WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO, APART FROM KEEP THE EVIDENCE OF SUCH QUESTION AND SUBSEQUENT ACTION ON AN OPEN FORUM? ANY ADVICE? MAKE SURE ITS THERE FOR ANYONE TO SEE!

Dude. Dude.

e: wait, my bad - new poster, should have read more thoroughly :(

Associate
OP
Keep silent. If you tell your friend you will be found out. You will then be fired. This happens all the time to managers. They've got to keep smiling when they know half their department will be cut. And remember that the future is not set: your friend may be given a reprieve.

FFS! Your other friend will also be fired. You can plausibly not know about it, therefore you don't know about it.

I think you're getting the impression I'm talking about a redundancy list, it's a bit bigger than that, and when the **** goes down it won't matter who knows.

Associate
OP
HEY GUYS, THIS VERY SECRET THING WHICH MIGHT BACKFIRE ON ME AND MY FRIEND AND PERHAPS OTHER AREAS OF MY LIFE ... SO, WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO, APART FROM KEEP THE EVIDENCE OF SUCH QUESTION AND SUBSEQUENT ACTION ON AN OPEN FORUM? ANY ADVICE? MAKE SURE ITS THERE FOR ANYONE TO SEE!

Dude. Dude.

Last time I checked my real name is not Moomalade. Can you figure out who I am and where I work?

Associate
OP
If I'm reading this right that you and the friend who told you don't officially know this information (and it potentially affects you too) then just tell your mate of 27 years too... the secret is out already, your mate wasn't supposed to know and he told you, others probably know too etc... **** it, do your friend of 27 years a favour.

Yeah, agreed. Some things are just more important. It's been interesting getting this sort of high level insight. It's good to be able to affect change without being caught behind the curve.

Thanks everybody for the advice!

Soldato
Keep quiet as the person who told you in confidence doesn't necessarily know that it will be carried out. They could also be using you to put the wind up your friend so they leave of their own accord without having to pay them redundancy.

Associate
Be very careful
I've blabbed before and spent the next few weeks pooping myself that the friend would inadvertently make some reference to knowing already because "Pipe & Slippers told me weeks ago" <<edit - you never know who they are going to go on and tell>>

One of my friends/colleagues was about to purchase a house and I knew he was for the chop, so I used very underlined language telling him to hold off a while
Another Friend/colleague was going to hand in their notice, and I advised him to delay.......6 weeks later he was made redundant. I never even got a thank-you drink out of that one!

Caporegime
I think you're getting the impression I'm talking about a redundancy list, it's a bit bigger than that, and when the **** goes down it won't matter who knows.
I've seen this x-files episode.

you said:
Last time I checked my real name is not Moomalade. Can you figure out who I am and where I work?
Can I? No. You're asking the wrong question albeit with the right direction.

Man of Honour
If you tell him, you will be undoubtedly putting him in the same predicament that you’re in (because he will feel obliged to tell his friends), and so on....

What I would do depends on the friend, tbh.

Permabanned
I had a friend in this position once. Well actually no, it wasn't a dillemma for him by any means.

As a shift manager, last year his superiors sat him down and basically said your mate is facing dismissal - don't say anything.

He told me after work without hesitation. Next day after his boss went home, he went into his office, found the complaint letter, took some pics and then text them to me before it all became official. Said his hands were shaking lol.

It was a monumental risk, and evidence others in my position would have used against him given what actually transpired in the end.

Back
Top Bottom