Ships under attack in the middle east

Soldato
Not sure what Iran plan on doing with the tanker, they can't sail it somewhere else and sell it. The UK doesn't actually own it either, some company does. Iran's oil exports are being crippled so they are getting desperate.

Soldato
They will probably use it as a bargaining tool to secure the release of their own tanker.

But it won't work because the UK are importing not exporting the oil, so they'll just buy more from somewhere else. Iran needs to sell oil continually to keep their economy from crashing. Iran's retaliation will have been a calculated risk from the start.

Last edited:
Soldato
I doubt that, it's not easy making a getaway with a slow moving giant bomb.

I love this post.

Yeah, its all political tug of war, can't really blame Iran for it.. But the fact that 27 innocent people are being dragged in to global postering is a bit of a joke.

Man of Honour
What are our options here, really?

So there is a Destroyer and Frigate there, plus a number of smaller vessels not much good in a situation like this.

A helicopter carrier (HMS Ocean) sure would have been handy here, carrying 6 Apache gunships.

Would an Astute class sub in the area be of any use - I'd imagine they are more geared to attack large ships rather the fast small boats used by the Iranians.

The Type 45 destroyer is an excellent air defence ship, but limited in ship to boat combat I believe?

A few more frigates in the area would be good, with their Harpoon anti ship missile and Wildcat helicopters with Sea Skua.

To be honest, a few rounds from the 4.5" gun would frighten off the Iranians but would be quite an escalation in using it to warn them off.

Are merchant ships, eg oil tankers armed?

Mal

Man of Honour
We have only 6 Destroyers and 13 Frigates. Assuming 1 or 2 destroyers and 3 or 4 Frigates are in refit etc, and 1 destroyer and 2 frigates need to remain in home waters, it doesn't really leave much spare! I believe there is also a Royal Navy destroyer near the Black Sea due to the Russians. Should we send 1 more Type 45 and 2 more Frigates to the area - surely we can manage at least that?!

Soldato
What are our options here, really?

So there is a Destroyer and Frigate there, plus a number of smaller vessels not much good in a situation like this.

A helicopter carrier (HMS Ocean) sure would have been handy here, carrying 6 Apache gunships.

Would an Astute class sub in the area be of any use - I'd imagine they are more geared to attack large ships rather the fast small boats used by the Iranians.

The Type 45 destroyer is an excellent air defence ship, but limited in ship to boat combat I believe?

A few more frigates in the area would be good, with their Harpoon anti ship missile and Wildcat helicopters with Sea Skua.

To be honest, a few rounds from the 4.5" gun would frighten off the Iranians but would be quite an escalation in using it to warn them off.

Are merchant ships, eg oil tankers armed?

Mal

I think the Type 23's are armed with the 30mm DS30M Mark 2 which is specifically designed to take on small fast moving craft. Not sure if the Type 45 is also armed with them.

Man of Honour
I think the Type 23's are armed with the 30mm DS30M Mark 2 which is specifically designed to take on small fast moving craft. Not sure if the Type 45 is also armed with them.

Ahh yes of course. It is also fitted to the Type 45.

Interestingly enough, it is also fitted to the Hunt class minhunters, of which we have 4 in the area already

Back
Top Bottom