£85,000 bill for disgraceful misbehaviour on a Jet2 flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Not gonna lie, it's pretty sad seeing someone in that state. Granted what she did was stupid and I have zero tolerance for that but this is clearly someone at the end of her tether :(

Hopefully she gets herself sorted out, no person should have to find themselves in that state of desperation.

Not gonna lie but i thought the passengers would be more like this.

Associate
She should be made to pay back every last penny of that charge, which seems extremely minimal IMO. Skanks like this need to start considering their poor life decisions and please let’s not blame her alcohol problems.

Society has totally gone to ****

Soldato
I don't agree with you there - "House prices in some areas of the UK are a joke" I'd agree with but to say future generation can't buy a house is just wrong. Look at my home town of Stoke on Rightmove - 660 properties for sale under £100k of which 109 are under £60k which with a 95% mortgage over 25 years is £300 a month which should be affordable in Stoke with it's average wage of £22k (£1500 a month post tax).

So while some houses are more expensive in certain areas you can almost always find affordable housing, unless you are someone on an "average wage" who somehow expects to live in a 3-4 bed detached house somewhere expensive with your latest iPhone, PCP Audi/BMW and 65" in 4K TV etc.

Yeah certain areas. Come to the south and even worse the south east and it’s a completely different story.

Soldato
Yeah certain areas. Come to the south and even worse the south east and it’s a completely different story.

I lived in Maidstone for 3 years so I've got a good idea how the SE is which is why I only said "House prices in some areas of the UK are a joke" rather than the more hyperbolic statement you made of "House prices in the UK are a joke. Future generations have zero chance of buying unless they get some serious help from their parents.." so although somewhere like the SE which is more expensive than elsewhere will have a little more more difficulty, you'll still be able to find places - Maidstone had 50 properties for under £100k for example and most SE towns have a similar number (I checked about 10 others with a +5mile radius) so much less but still there.

But again in my own view, you'd have to be happy with just "getting a house" rather than expecting some 2-4 bed lovely house like your parents have, which a lot (but by no means all) of the younger generation seem to have an this "expectation" about, that owning one like that as a first house should almost be a right yet complain about difficulty saving money while they holiday twice a year, take pics with their £500+ phones of their £300+ppm PCP cars and watch £100ppm Sky/Netflix on their £1k TV's etc - again, not all of the younger generations think like that, just the most vocal on Social Media whilst the rest crack on working & saving.

I know I'll sound unfair to some of the youth of today who look at this as an insurmountable problem but it's really not for most, you just have to make the conscious decision which is more important to you - saving for a house or "things"/going out/holidays etc because you can't do both unless you're paid well. For example a 5% deposit on a £100k house in the SE is £5k and a 95% repayment mortgage is under £500 a month for 25 years so if you can save just £5k you can get a house and thats not a "zero chance" of buying.

Just to add a little personal flavour into this, I am ex-military and always lived on base so I've never owned a house as I spent all my money on cars/drink/holidays etc when I was younger, and at 40+ I'm now just looking to buy my first house so hopefully I should be considered a parable for the youth of today - Don't wait to long - get a house early in life, save hard to buy ANYTHING just to get on the market because you don't want to be still paying a mortgage when you're 65+.

Caporegime
Google is your friend -

So first she has a little cry and starts feeling all sorry for herself, after putting everyone else through her crazy episode.... then suddenly she decides to get aggressive again and tells everyone to **** off a bunch of times, charming individual.

I guess the media attention and perhaps being able to watch back that clip of herself and see what a complete **** up she is might act as a bit of a wakeup call - I suspect that plenty of problem drinkers and/or alcoholics don't appreciate just quite how bad they can get at times... Obvs they know they cause problems but actually seeing footage of themselves might still surprise them in some cases.

Soldato
They say women mature quicker than men, yet here is an example of a grown woman quickly defaulting to a 5 year old child when they don't get their own way.

Caporegime
Where does it say she suffers from a mental illness?
Its called passing the buck, no personal responsibility, diminished responsibility.
These days anyone can be a complete Ahole, blame it on something else and then be utterly forgiven for it.
Doesn't everyone have ADHD these days, bless their little cotton socks.

Soldato
I understand the reason that Baristas are not well paid, its a low skill job that you can be trained to do to a competent level in a couple of months. With that said, its a horrible job and extremely hard work.

My other half runs a chain coffee shop in the city. Her contracted hours are 47.5 hours a week. The store opening hours are 6.30 to 6 Monday to Friday - to complete all the tasks for opening she needs to be there for around 5.30am, if she is closing she'll leave at 6.30-7. A "double shift" is basically 12 hours on your feet, non stop. Its a busy store, there are usually queues even outside of peak hours. There is no paid sickness, lunch breaks are unpaid although food on shift is subsidised.

I'm in a niche accounting role, paid 3x what she earns. I work hard, my job is challenging, but despite all that hers is harder - if you offered me the same money I'm on now to do it, I wouldn't.

Because of the low barriers to entry in her role, she is replacable, so they can get away with paying such a low rate - but don't look down on people who work in the service industry or retail (10 years retail here in my past) - because despite the low skill requirement those jobs can be extremely challenging.

Pay is not usually dictated by how physically demanding something is. You trained and sacrificed for years to become an accountant, then possibly sacrificed even more to become a good one.

Not a lot of sacrifice in making a brew for a living. Sorry. This is the natural order of things. Some people are wired to naturally work hard and strive to improve themselves even when no immediate rewards are available, others aren't.

Caporegime
Jesus, no matter how my life turned out i think i would have killed myself rather than strive to become an accountant.
Different strokes for different folks :p
Those sacrifices made on the alter to becoming a "good accountant"
im just joking but i made myself laugh anyway.

Soldato
Let's all give the mentally ill woman a kicking!!!

Such brave big men
Where does it say she has mental health? She was plastered. Has she mental health issues I’m sure the media would have had it plastered all over their headlines.

She didn’t get a kicking. She was restrained. She should count herself exceptionally lucky she didn’t get an absolute battering. I imagine her behaviour caused considerable distress and panic among the other passengers. Such distress and panic could have easily resulted in someone working her over.

So with that said, what would you have done has you been on the plane? Helped restrain her? Challenged those restraining her? Sat behind your newspaper doing nothing?

Soldato
Where does it say she has mental health? She was plastered. Has she mental health issues I’m sure the media would have had it plastered all over their headlines.

She didn’t get a kicking. She was restrained. She should count herself exceptionally lucky she didn’t get an absolute battering. I imagine her behaviour caused considerable distress and panic among the other passengers. Such distress and panic could have easily resulted in someone working her over.

So with that said, what would you have done has you been on the plane? Helped restrain her? Challenged those restraining her? Sat behind your newspaper doing nothing?

Do what everybody else does these days, get their phone out and press the record button :D

Soldato
I doubt the money will be paid, going down the bankruptcy route is likely the best option if she doesn’t have and assets. I expect £85k is actually just the tip of the iceberg to the actual costs of the incident given fast jets were scrambled (all taxpayers), insurance companies (other holidaymakers) likely picked up a big part of the tab.

Hopefully it will be a wake up call and she can get her life back on track. Not everything is about the punishment at the end of the day and rehabilitation is very important.

Caporegime
@b0rn2sk8 punishment can act as a nice deterrent from others doing the same. I like punishment. I'd rather we prevent than cure.

Also not sure how she's mentally ill? Just seems like a spoiled, drunken **** to me. Same as you see drunk in any town centre on a weekend.

Soldato

My mother has a phobia of flying, if i am travelling with her and she is triggered and starts to panic its possible the mist will descend over my eyes.

Otherwise i would just watch and be amused.

Soldato
My mother has a phobia of flying, if i am travelling with her and she is triggered and starts to panic its possible the mist will descend over my eyes.

Otherwise i would just watch and be amused.
As do I and a violent reaction to her actions wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility. Panicked people can be very unpredictable and indeed dangerous.
I’m more curious what the person I quoted would have done given his ‘urrgh bad men best up helpless woman’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom