• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Soldato
OP
I never rush these things, I was running my Q6600 for 7-8 years before replacing it. Getting 'only' 4 years out of my processor would feel like a ripoff after that.
I've upgraded my machine to 16GB and played a couple of hours of Division 2 and had no freezes at all with a steadyish 60fps ao I'm pretty happy. Here's to another 3-4 years!

*guiltily looks at my big box of new parts and bank account*

Associate
I never rush these things, I was running my Q6600 for 7-8 years before replacing it. Getting 'only' 4 years out of my processor would feel like a ripoff after that.
I've upgraded my machine to 16GB and played a couple of hours of Division 2 and had no freezes at all with a steadyish 60fps ao I'm pretty happy. Here's to another 3-4 years!

I keep needing to catch myself with regards to my 4790K.... its very easy to get caught up in the 3900X/9900K hype but ultimately my cpu really isnt suffering much if at all. Think Im going to try and get another 12-18 months out of it.

Now my gpu (980GTX) and monitors (dell U2410 x2) on the other hand...

Soldato
Just compared a 2500K with a 3700X. GPU limited in some 4K situations but massively faster everywhere else. I can bet even when GPU limited the 3700X will be a lot smoother than my old 2500K. Surprised at the huge difference in some of the benchmarks.

Soldato
OP
I didn't know anandtwch did a comparison like that (I wonder if Tom's still has up to date charts?) I was surprised just how much faster the 3700x was than my 4770k in games at 1080p. Also pleased to see it beat the the 4770k in single threaded performance too.

Soldato
It's the low fps that will see the big jumps in performance. 4 core now is pretty limiting and doesn't make for smooth gaming in demanding titles. To look at just averages is miss leading.

Look closer, they have 95th p. as well. If we ignore the borked civ6 data then it's still looking good.

Soldato
Look closer, they have 95th p. as well. If we ignore the borked civ6 data then it's still looking good.

I base it on my own experience of ivy i5 vs ivy i7, let alone a chip much newer with double the cores. The gains in the lows can be very noticeable. Battlefield, td2 easily max out 4 core, even faster ones. I can hit 100% 4/8 at 4.3 on td2, which is pretty much haswell stock i7. No need for 8/16 yet, but 6 core, 8 core and 6/12 certainly.

Soldato
I base it on my own experience of ivy i5 vs ivy i7, let alone a chip much newer with double the cores. The gains in the lows can be very noticeable. Battlefield, td2 easily max out 4 core, even faster ones. I can hit 100% 4/8 at 4.3 on td2, which is pretty much haswell stock i7. No need for 8/16 yet, but 6 core, 8 core and 6/12 certainly.

Tbf those are also the worst case scenarios. Certainly if you're a big BF gamer a CPU upgrade makes a lot of sense, but in 99% of other games, it's nowhere near that.

Associate
It seems my pc is trying to say something. Multiple crashes on my 4770k in the last few days. It no longer completes a prime95 at stock without freezing up.

Back
Top Bottom