The Witcher series (Netflix)

Soldato
Looks alright, bit generic and very Americanised rather than polish Slavic like the books and games. Still going to watch it though with geralt looking like a body builder haha.

Caporegime
Looks alright, bit generic and very Americanised rather than polish Slavic like the books and games. Still going to watch it though with geralt looking like a body builder haha.

Yeah, I think Henry is a bit too hunky for Geralt. I think somebody like Stephen Dorff who's a bit more lithe would have made a good choice but he then he might be a bit small in height.

Soldato
And the game is based on the books so kinda the same difference right?

Not really. The games are one adaptation based on the books. The series will be another adaptation based on the books. For instance there is a lot of stuff in the books that doesn't appear in the games and could be used in the series.

Look at the Dune movies verses the two mini-series. Both based on the same books, but very different in look and feel because every adaption from a source material can be quite different.

Soldato
Not really. The games are one adaptation based on the books. The series will be another adaptation based on the books. For instance there is a lot of stuff in the books that doesn't appear in the games and could be used in the series.

Look at the Dune movies verses the two mini-series. Both based on the same books, but very different in look and feel because every adaption from a source material can be quite different.
Fair comment but i just think its a bit of a mine field trying to satisfy everyones imaginations.

Soldato
It's from the books, she used to be a hunchback until she found a spell to make her beautiful.
If I remember, its commented in the books that most if not all Witches are born ugly/deformed etc and tend to hide/fix it.

One of the things that got me is the lack of the cat style eyes, I figured they'd have used contacts rather than just discoloured Cavill's eyes.
Edit: I'm not sure the books EXPLICITLY stated he had cat eyes, but it did state his eyes were mutated and he had full control over the dilation etc. Having them look more than colour different sense!

Last edited:
Caporegime
As long as the political undertones are done correctly, i don't see why this can't be a great series. I wonder where there starting this from though in respects to which royals are still alive or not.

I also hope that the build up to the elves providence and conspiracy isn't stupid.

Soldato
As long as the political undertones are done correctly, i don't see why this can't be a great series. I wonder where there starting this from though in respects to which royals are still alive or not.

I also hope that the build up to the elves providence and conspiracy isn't stupid.

There are references in the trailer to the First Northern War. But Ciri would only be 10 at the time, so if that is the setting then they've messed with her age a bit.

Or the first war could be covered in flashbacks and the show could take place during the second?

Yennefer's story is similar; either they've played with the time line, or her back story is told through flashbacks.

The games take place some time later, during the Third Northern War.

On viewing the trailer again, I suspect it'll be the First Northern War and no flashbacks. Ciri will just be older than she was in the books, and Yennefer's story will be taking place during the war rather than before it. The other advantage here is it leaves the showrunners with plenty of material for future seasons, before running in to the games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having only played Witcher 3 I know nothing of the back story/lore from the books, may have to look at the books and see if I can get some of the story as the game is absolutely epic.

The trailers look good but I just hope they don't make a mess of it like Shannara as that seemed a bit too childish to me

Back
Top Bottom