• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

To be fair he can only go on the performance they show right now. If there is more of a difference to come that's on AMD's engineers not putting out a fully mature product. I suspect it's more of a marketing move. It will sell to the masses, flesh out the product stack, but the very few informed will buy a 3700X or a 3900X.
Enthusiasts and regular end-users get to buy the same product at differing price points. They have differing mindsets. One is willing to fiddle around with settings, and the other wants best performance out of the box. IMO, this is good segmentation by AMD. It exists because there is a genuine difference in user profiles. Personally, I don't think it is wrong to offer enthusiasts a discount on an identical product.

I thought we always recommended the cheapest one of the same kind and make. 3800X should never be preferred over the 3700X. It's like preference of an Asus card simply for the "shiny" brand sticker on the card... Meh.
If you're making a recommendation then yes, cheapest option unless you know that they won't also take your tinkering advice. For some folk the warranty covering higher specs is going to be more important.

I think the difficulty is with how often folks make blanket statements. IMO, neither is best because each buyer's circumstances are different. The difference is in deciding which is the RIGHT choice for that buyer.

Associate
I'm puzzled why the 3800X exists on paper and in real life, but thats just me. The 3700X would be the one for me (if I was buying a new CPU today). I like how Gamersnexus Steve says this is just a quick one and its a 17 min video :)

Caporegime
That overhyped noob thinks he knows better, than AMD engineers - couldn't make it up (nice cult though :D )

He is a bit of a knob sometimes, his original Threadripper review was cringe worthy, he spent half on the review with that weird grin of disdain on his face snarling and sniggering at the amount of cores and PCIe lanes it had, using old AMD "just add cores" jokes, his answer in that review was "This is unnecessary because of CUDA" he must have said "CUDA" three times more than he said AMD and Threadripper.

The last video he did with JayZ2cents where they were comparing their reviews because they had been getting a lot of "feedback" from the community at the huge performance results differences between their Ryzen 3000 results, in that JayZ2Cents were much better he did the same thing again, he could not bring himself to talk about the multithreading performance of the 3900X and instead his answer to everything was "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA"

He hates high core count CPU's, hates them., its because they threaten the usefulness of his precious CUDA, something else that's on AMD's targeting radar.

The guys a #### head.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got new parts coming today, 16GB of memory to sit with my current 16GB, a new 360mm aio, a lian-li dynamic case and new RGB fans.

Delivery not until 3pm though.

Caporegime
He is a bit of a knob sometimes, his original Threadripper review was cringe worthy, he spent half on the review with that weird grin of disdain on his face snarling and sniggering at the amount of cores and PCIe lanes it had, using old AMD "just add cores" jokes, his answer in that review was "This is unnecessary because of CUDA" he must have said "CUDA" three times more than he said AMD and Threadripper.

The last video he did with JayZ2cents where they were comparing their reviews because they had been getting a lot of "feedback" from the community at the huge performance results differences between their Ryzen 3000 results, in that JayZ2Cents were much better he did the same thing again, he could not bring himself to talk about the multithreading performance of the 3900X and instead his answer to everything was "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA" "CUDA"

He hates high core count CPU's, hates them., its because they threaten the usefulness of his precious CUDA, something else that's on AMD's targeting radar.

The guys a #### head.

You know what, i'll expand on this.... in 2D/3D render applications you can render the scene out with either the GPU or CPU (CUDA / OpenCL) GPU is generally faster, however there are limitations, once a scene gets to a certain size the GPU, let's say a Quadro GP 100 16GB cannot render the Scene if it's more than 16GB, because that's all the GPU has.

Right so now take a 2950X with 32GB of RAM, that's plenty of RAM to render the scene, what's more the 2950X will do it about 80% as fast as the Quadro GP 100, which is a £6000 GPU.

This is why Threadripper sells so well, it is a rendering monster and it's fast making CUDA obsolete for this type of workload and from what i have seen from Steve at GN he hates that fact, i don't know why but he's got a strange fixation to GPU hardware acceleration, AMD's high core count HEDT CPU's are making nVidia's thousands of £'s Workstation card's obsolete.

I don't use CUDA in Blender, i use the CPU.

Last edited:
Associate

The guys a #### head.
Exactly, or his first ryzen "review" and how tried to make a big deal and pretended press freedom under treat from AMD email with the SUGGESTION to look beyond 1080p gaming on high end chip. And nvm his ridiculous attempt of investigative journalism, when he drove to the INTEL hired company hq to ask: "why they used only HALF of ryzen cores in their benchmark", but ended up (pure coincidence wink wink) whitewashing them :D .I am sure we could go on and on.

Associate
do you really expect it to be any different - it isn't such a variable system that it is going to show such massive differences. What exactly do you think you will see? The same goes for the 3600 and the 3600x.

They both OC to the same as well.
Biggest problem atm, most ppl can't get out of the old tech mold, these chips are different (big time) and unless your pc is doing 100% cpu load task 24/7 it will be quicker with pbo and auto oc on, instead of allcore oc. They boost themself higher that you can achieve with oc (constantly see 4500 MHz spikes on 2 same cores, where manual oc is 4400 pushing crazy voltage). Thing is reviewers were saying the same thing about ryzen+ (leave on auto pbo on) , but it was quicker to have allcore oc, in the ryzen3000 it is not, amd engineers done it, this time for real.
p.s: Lots of issues with bios and pbo etc, been reported here widely, so it doesn't work for most of the ppl atm, but in my case it worked like a dream from the start ( single issue was first boost with xmp on).

Associate
My Asus x99 board suddenly decided to stop working, so looks as if i may have to go AMD.. Shame about those tiny fans though on x570.

Or dig out my x58 stuff :mad:

The chipset fan can be controlled from the BIOS, at least on my board. It was an unbearable high pitched whine to begin with, but now I can barely hear it over the rest of the system. :)

Associate
Went for the Coolermaster ML360R. Have had Corsair AIO for ages but wanted to try a new brand.

Needed to move away from the stock cooler supplied with the 3900x. :)
Same, I had a Corsair H105 before I upgraded to my Fractal S36. The stock cooler is okay but with a 360AIO it will run much cooler, boost higher, and for a longer period of time.

Caporegime
My Asus x99 board suddenly decided to stop working, so looks as if i may have to go AMD.. Shame about those tiny fans though on x570.

Or dig out my x58 stuff :mad:

Which CPU would you get? unless you're getting a 3900X and / or one of those new PCIe 4 NVMe drives you don't need X570.

Mid range... https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33s-ms.html

Higher end.... https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33q-ms.html

They are good boards and anyone will run anything upto and including a 3800X, With those you don't even need a CPU to upgrade the BIOS, they have an external USB BIOS flashing utility. wich you will need to do for Ryzen 3000.

My 3600 is happy on my First gen B350 board.

Back
Top Bottom