• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Not really no, RAM speed is about the IMC, not so much the board, i say that because if you get a really crap board you might not get it over 3200Mhz with 3600Mhz capable RAM but that's not what higher end B450 and X470 boards are, Ryzen 1000 and to a lesser extent Ryzen 2000 were limited by their IMC, i'm already getting higher clocks out of My RAM on the same board than i did with the Ryzen 1600, 3133Mhz without trying hard on 3000Mhz RAM, once you go over 3600Mhz Infinity Fabric switches to 1:2 speed anyway, the sweet-spot is 3600 and as long as you have RAM capable of that the B450 Pro Carbon and X470 boards i linked should do that.

This is why i went with the X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI, my tactic of getting a decent motherboard paid off.

No issues setting the ram to run at 3600mhz via xmp ram profile.

If you go with amd make sure your motherboard is decent due to processors and or ram upgrades.

Dan.

Soldato
Kinda anecdotal, but in an effort to get my voltages under control on my Asus X470, i went looking for the setting that's doing the rounds right now where you change your BIOS/UEFI's CPU voltage mode from 'auto' to 'normal'.
The Asus's dont have it, however i just noticed that turning "Performance Enhancer" from "Auto" to "Default" has started showing me sub-1v readings in various monitoring softwares, instead of a locked 1.45-1.5v i was seeing before.
Gonna keep it like that for the day and have hwinfo log out to a file for testing the min/max of the day.

Soldato
Not really no, RAM speed is about the IMC, not so much the board, i say that because if you get a really crap board you might not get it over 3200Mhz with 3600Mhz capable RAM but that's not what higher end B450 and X470 boards are, Ryzen 1000 and to a lesser extent Ryzen 2000 were limited by their IMC, i'm already getting higher clocks out of My RAM on the same board than i did with the Ryzen 1600, 3133Mhz without trying hard on 3000Mhz RAM, once you go over 3600Mhz Infinity Fabric switches to 1:2 speed anyway, the sweet-spot is 3600 and as long as you have RAM capable of that the B450 Pro Carbon and X470 boards i linked should do that.
Can't do much atm anyway, i got a few hundred but money tied up elsewhere for the moment. Looks like I'm going to have to dig out my x58 stuff and use that for the time being.

Difficult decision on ram when you can get 32gb 3200 kits slightly cheaper than 16gb 3600 though.

Soldato
Kinda anecdotal, but in an effort to get my voltages under control on my Asus X470, i went looking for the setting that's doing the rounds right now where you change your BIOS/UEFI's CPU voltage mode from 'auto' to 'normal'.
The Asus's dont have it, however i just noticed that turning "Performance Enhancer" from "Auto" to "Default" has started showing me sub-1v readings in various monitoring softwares, instead of a locked 1.45-1.5v i was seeing before.
Gonna keep it like that for the day and have hwinfo log out to a file for testing the min/max of the day.
ASRock and MSI don't have a "normal" CPU voltage mode either.

Caporegime
I wouldn't pay too much attention to volts, AMD use a really complicated and sophisticated AI system to dynamically adjust your volts and clocks on the fly.

It knows how much stress is on each individual core at any given time, with that it can self adjust each core individually depending on Volts, Mhz and Current, so if a CPU core is being used by the system, the load on that CPU is not heavy, like the Draw Call thread in a game, it knows by measuring that core that it's a "low Current load" and with that the CPU's control brain will supply that core with high volts, like 1.45v and crank the Mhz up to give you the most performance it has to give, if any given core is running a "high current load" it will pull down the volts and Mhz so it doesn't cook it's self.

No CPU monitoring software is fast enough let alone sophisticated enough to know whats going on and tell you, HWMonitor readings are probably nothing like what is actually going on in the CPU.

Soldato
I’m tempted to go with the RX5700XT seems to get very close to the RTX 2700 super for a lot less money when paired with a Ryzen 3000 CPU.

Soldato
ASRock and MSI don't have a "normal" CPU voltage mode either.
See if there's any references to 'enhanser' or 'pbo', or something along those sort of lines (grab a thesaurus :p ).
The same CPU voltage on my Asus was the same as @Nghtmare lists, so it ended up being a different setting.
My temps seem way down upto now and the min/max's inm seeing across all cores see's 4.6 on some, most on 4.3 - exactly as designed. Needs further testing though, and preferably a BIOS/UEFI that isnt half broken from Asus. :p

I wouldn't pay too much attention to volts, AMD use a really complicated and sophisticated AI system to dynamically adjust your volts and clocks on the fly.
Ordinarily i'd completly agree, but considering all programs, inc. Ryzen master has been reported a locked 1.45-1.5 voltage for me since launch, finally seeing sub 1.4v's at all, along with temp improvements im seeing is something worth noting, and has the CPU back in spec according to what should happen.

Associate
Mine on Auto goes all the way to 0.9XXv, matter of fact I have seen 0.2XXv on CPU Z as well. In terms of speed, the highest clocks Ive seen were 4.525Mhz on my 3800X.

Caporegime

It knows how much stress is on each individual core at any given time, with that it can self adjust each core individually depending on Volts, Mhz and Current, so if a CPU core is being used by the system, the load on that CPU is not heavy, like the Draw Call thread in a game, it knows by measuring that core that it's a "low Current load" and with that the CPU's control brain will supply that core with high volts, like 1.45v and crank the Mhz up to give you the most performance it has to give, if any given core is running a "high current load" it will pull down the volts and Mhz so it doesn't cook it's self.

No CPU monitoring software is fast enough let alone sophisticated enough to know whats going on and tell you, HWMonitor readings are probably nothing like what is actually going on in the CPU.

This is why the CPU for 24/7 use is best left alone, it's capable of and knows better how to overclock it's self than you do.

Ordinarily i'd completly agree, but considering all programs, inc. Ryzen master has been reported a locked 1.45-1.5 voltage for me since launch, finally seeing sub 1.4v's at all, along with temp improvements im seeing is something worth noting, and has the CPU back in spec according to what should happen.

It probably will be, but is the software fast enough or smart enough to know this likely only across a couple of low stress cores for a few ns at a time?

Soldato
It probably will be, but is the software fast enough or smart enough to know this likely only across a couple of low stress cores for a few ns at a time?
No idea.
But what i do know is pre-change the voltage in any app never dropped below 1.4. NEVER.
Post-change, all of them are seeing lower voltages, many below 1v in idle.
Whether they understand the CPU wakes or not, that simple observation alone is more evidence of Asus's shaky firmware right now on the X470-F, and frankly, i'll take the better CPU temps with no performance loss as a win.

Associate
No idea.
But what i do know is pre-change the voltage in any app never dropped below 1.4. NEVER.
Whether they understand the CPU wakes or not, that simple observation alone is more evidence of Asus's shaky firmware right now on the X470-F, and frankly, i'll take the better CPU temps with no performance loss as a win.
My keyboard software was doing the same thing until yesterday, I thought it was the BIOS.

Soldato
My keyboard software was doing the same thing until, I thought it was the BIOS.
Interesting note, but the Asus X470-F is a known problem child with the 3000 series right now.
Tons of threads and comments all over reddit, asus forums, etc.

What keyboard software do you have that caused it in your case, out of curiosity?
Mine doesnt have software, so it wont help me, but i am curious.

Caporegime
No idea.

Asus do have a history of overvolting CPU's too much.

What happens with Ryzen Master with me is the CPU monitoring sits around 1.44v when idle, if i run Cinebench that falls to about 1.37v. However in CPU-Z the idle CPU is reading 0.6v.

Back
Top Bottom