• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I did see that and then thought to myself if the team in the OCUK shop knew about the EC FW tool. They did mention that there were two updates they needed to do so I assume that they did, but reading up a bit more I don't think this happened. If I want 4RAM sticks I'll need to go back to F31, but F31 then wont be compatible with the 3600.

I'm sure I read a post on Reddit from a gigabyte rep about updating with the tool while using a zen 2 chip - will see if I can dig it out.

edit

it's here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cdicxh/1003_agesa_bios_for_gigabyte_x370_boards/

comment from GBT_Matthew - "I would run the EC FW update, then reflash F40, then test. Don't go back to F31."

obviously I have no idea if that would actually work but it's a FYI.

Last edited:

Raz

Raz

Soldato
on my 3900x which i know its not a 3600 but i think the theroy sould be the same pbo ocing on my pc was putting upto 1.4v to get to 4.1ghz allcore and single core was about 1.475v even 1.5v for 4.5ghz. my temps was idling at within 10 degress of my all core prime 95 test

manual oc allowed me to drasticly lower temps im 1.25v for all core 4.3ghz which means my idel temps mid 40s and all core stress test is is low 60s manually ocing can help with temps and also stops the whole jumping at idle as well so some benifits to manual oc
#

Thanks, which board are you using? I might have a look around my bios settings and have a go at overclocking.

Associate
amd's rob halcock has recommended to use the windows balance plan and set minimum processor state to 85% and maximum processor state.
this will keep perform whilest also lowering voltage when idle

latest update from this thread from this thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen..._on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/?sort=new

EDIT 7/18/19 As a temporary workaround, you can use the standard Windows Balanced plan. Edit this plan to use 85% minimum processor state, 100% maximum processor state. (Example). This will chill things out as we continue to work this issue. Your 1T and nT scores shouldn't change at all (+/- the usual run-to-run variance). This will preserve boost, retain cc6 core sleeping, preserve idle downclocking/downvolting, but make the CPU more relaxed about boosting under light loads.

Please note that it is totally normal for your Ryzen to use voltages in a range of 0.200V - 1.500V -- this is the factory operating range of the CPU. It is also totally normal for the temperature to cycle through 10°C swings as boost comes on and off. You will always see these characteristics, as they're intended, so do not be surprised to see such values. :)

Please do not undervolt the chip or set a maximum processor state of 99%. These are ineffective and/or detrimental changes.

We appreciate the reports everyone has provided, and they are helpful. I will make an all-new post when I have a more comprehensive update to share. Thanks for your patience. ♥

Associate
How is it going with the stock cooler? (average temps for idle, light - hvy gaming please)

I am looking at buying one and a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK, so if any have this setup pls let me know how it's working out.

Lastly, my heaphones died and I am looking to replace them, so any ideas (hopefully not higher than £130).

TY

Last edited:
Associate
Stock cooler wasn't the best. Got around 60 degrees idle and then i saw it go up to 83 when playing insurgency... So I've put my True Black on it and its sitting at 40 idle and 70 load (gaming).

Soldato
amd's rob halcock has recommended to use the windows balance plan and set minimum processor state to 85% and maximum processor state.
this will keep perform whilest also lowering voltage when idle

latest update from this thread from this thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen..._on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/?sort=new

EDIT 7/18/19 As a temporary workaround, you can use the standard Windows Balanced plan. Edit this plan to use 85% minimum processor state, 100% maximum processor state. (Example). This will chill things out as we continue to work this issue. Your 1T and nT scores shouldn't change at all (+/- the usual run-to-run variance). This will preserve boost, retain cc6 core sleeping, preserve idle downclocking/downvolting, but make the CPU more relaxed about boosting under light loads.

Please note that it is totally normal for your Ryzen to use voltages in a range of 0.200V - 1.500V -- this is the factory operating range of the CPU. It is also totally normal for the temperature to cycle through 10°C swings as boost comes on and off. You will always see these characteristics, as they're intended, so do not be surprised to see such values. :)

Please do not undervolt the chip or set a maximum processor state of 99%. These are ineffective and/or detrimental changes.

We appreciate the reports everyone has provided, and they are helpful. I will make an all-new post when I have a more comprehensive update to share. Thanks for your patience. ♥

Mmm.. Then you lose the responsiveness of Ryzen ...

What about Ryzen Balanced vs. Windows Balanced Plan?

By now, you may know that 3rd Gen Ryzen heralds the return of the Ryzen Balanced power plan (only for 3rd Gen CPUs; everyone else can use the regular ol' Windows plan). This plan specifically enables the 1ms clock selection we've been promoting as a result of CPPC2. This allows the CPU to respond more quickly to workloads, especially bursty workloads, which improves performance for you. In contrast, the default "Balanced" plan that comes with Windows is configured to a 15ms clock selection interval.

Some have noticed that switching to the Windows Balanced plan, instead of the Ryzen Balanced Plan, causes idle voltages to settle. This is because the default Balanced Plan, with 15ms intervals, comparatively instructs the processor to ignore 14 of 15 clock requests relative to the AMD plan.

So, if the monitoring tool is sitting there hammering the cores with boost requests, the default plan is just going to discard most of them. The core frequency and clock will settle to true idle values now and then. But if you run ourperformance-enhancing plan, the CPU is going to act on every single boost request interpreted from the monitoring tool. Voltages and clock, therefore, will go up. Observer effect in action!

Associate
How do you get more options with the power plan, because at the moment mine is on balanced.

67483738_10157416572842375_7006073038328299520_o.jpg

Soldato
What version if Windows you on?

I'm assuming its either that or the latest chipset drivers.

I've never actually deliberately set it to this. I had previously selected Windows High Performance. Only noticed the new Ryzen ones today and it must have switched automatically at some point.

YDFYtB3.jpg

Associate
What version if Windows you on?

I'm assuming its either that or the latest chipset drivers.

I've never actually deliberately set it to this. I had previously selected Windows High Performance. Only noticed the new Ryzen ones today and it must have switched automatically at some point.

YDFYtB3.jpg

Ah i see yea i have not updated in a while, will update now.

thanks,

Dan.

edit

67496976_10157416640882375_2581789714474336256_o.jpg

Soldato
How is it going with the stock cooler? (average temps for idle, light - hvy gaming please)

I am looking at buying one and a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK, so if any have this setup pls let me know how it's working out.

Lastly, my heaphones died and I am looking to replace them, so any ideas (hopefully not higher than £130).

TY

If its any help, I've got a 3600x on my MSI B450 tomahawk. Had no problems at all except when I updated the bios for the new ryzens, I ended up with what like summat from the 90s! Still, it all works fine, had no issues so I now ignore the whole thing and get on with using it.

Associate
If its any help, I've got a 3600x on my MSI B450 tomahawk. Had no problems at all except when I updated the bios for the new ryzens, I ended up with what like summat from the 90s! Still, it all works fine, had no issues so I now ignore the whole thing and get on with using it.

The board has great reviews and was suggested by a reviewer I have come to trust (though the guy is a bit boring and those teeth, he is good), so good to know nothing major is out of place, so soon as it's back in stock I'll order it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0uB17Io2is

TY

Associate
Think the 3xxx BIOS needs more space than before so won't fit in the flash size used on 450/70 (or 350/70) boards without sacrificing the fancy GUI that they've acquired recently. As someone who first used computers when the boot interface was switches and LEDs can't say I'm fussed over the GUI!

Back
Top Bottom