• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Here's what the 3900x looked like when i took the stock cooler off, not great contact.

4rE7fshh.jpg

Here it is with some MX-4 applied, maybe slightly on the thicker side but got it as level and even as i could.

cIJB9H7h.jpg

Here's two quick shots i took with my phone, will get some better ones with my camera later on in the week when my new lens is here. :)

1lzxKnZh.jpg

bLAhvBIh.jpg

Soldato
He said that the 3800X allegedly boost to 4.5GHz. I assume he did not see boost that high in games, so you are right. It falls back on AMD.

If it is a marketing move, then it is working. The 3700X having the same cores as the 3800X, seemingly similar performance while being cheaper indeed makes it a better choice. No sales data to prove it, though, cos stores are OOS of the 3800X and 3900X!

My main gripe with gamernexus video is he said the same for 2600 vs 2600X and also completely disregarded the better cooler for the 2600X. Most people who clocked 2600 up to 2600X clocks never did it 100% (they either sacrificed all core performance or single core performance), and often had much worse heat/power performance. Some people couldnt even hit the 2600X clocks at all with a 2600, so these things proved that way of thinking to be incorrect.

That statement disregarded silicon lottery, and under estimated the capabilities of the tier 2 AMD cooler (he admitted the cooler was completely disregarded). The tier 2 AMD cooler in my view is comparable to the cheaper after market coolers that people would buy if following reviewers advice. Meaning when that is in consideration people buying 2600 chips with an aftermarket cooler are buying a worser chip for the same money.

However the 3700X vs 3800X only has a 100mhz difference in boost clocks (unlike the 300mhz 2600 vs 2600X) and both chips have the same cooler. So this time round his points I think are valid. I just think they were wrong on the previous gen chips (X vs non X).

Also level1techs got a different result to gamersnexus he was seeing consistent performance improvements, albeit small but were there. Presumably they most came from the higher TDP limit so less power throttling, which level1tech believes is the true advantage of the 3800X not the extra 100mhz clocks, something gamersnexus never figured out.

Soldato
I did some more analysis of my 2600X on these power profiles.

For 10 hours remote desktop was left opened on amd ryzen balanced profile, and system was idle just the remote desktop connection opened.

When I checked the system, task manager was reporting core 10 under moderate constant load and hwinfo a constant all core 1.35v, and 33w power load on cpu. 45C cpu temps.
When I switched to microsoft balanced profile core 10 immediately went idle in task manager, voltages went down to 0.3v, power draw to just 3 watts, and temp down to 29C.
I switched back to AMD profile and it reverted to the first set of figures, so AMD's power profiles are definitely not good in my view and the concerns on reddit were valid.

both profiles had clock speed resting at 2.9ghz, so snappyness should be same.

With the exposed settings now in control panel I could probably tinker and see which one is the culprit but not sure I can be bothered as I want to boot ESXi back up.

Associate
So after being close to buying a 3800x twice this week I think I've settled on the 3700x. I want it. And will keep wanting it untill I buy it. It should be a decent upgrade on the 2700x at least from a frame stability perspective.

I'm struggling to justify a 1600 to 3700x upgrade. Brain says "no", heart says "go for it".

Don
RtBMy1s.jpg

Decided on what orientation my waterblock needs to be for best cooling, looks like I'll be able to get the chiplet directly under the jetplate in the top right of the block, the I/O die will be predominantly under the left side of the jet plate so should get decent cooling as well.

Spinning it 90degrees would result in part of the chiplets not being covered by water channels so not ideal.

Soldato
I've just changed all my voltages from 'auto' to 'normal' as some have suggested, and now seeing single core boosts up to about 4575mhz :) much improved! Going to do some Cinebench runs to compare it to 4.35 all core overclock on a manual 1.325v

Soldato
Been playing with the boosts a bit but it doesn't really gain anything single core performance wise. R20 went from 506 to about 512.

Been trying the all core overclock and got all cores to 4.45ghz at about 1.34v (1.32v under load) for an r20 score of 7866.

I2JZqIH.png

Back
Top Bottom