Wasteland 2: Directors Cut - combat, what am I doing wrong?

Soldato
I've bought this today because I've heard nothing but good things about it but I'm really struggling to fathom all the controls and how to accomplish certain things.

My biggest issue so far is combat - I've watched a couple of YouTube videos on combat and tried to follow that formula but I just can't seem to do very well, even in the early game battles!

I stumbled across about 5 wolves/frogs and 2 of my party died simply because my attacks were completely ineffective! My sniper got one decent shot off before the combat began but after that the red percentage figure over the target was 5% or less and I have no idea why!?!?

In fact all of my attack percentages were really low and I'm not sure I understand why???

Can someone point me toward an idiots guide to this game - I really like the premise but it seems to me that you 100% have to have a medic and then plenty of medical kits to get your health back up - and so if you didn't pick a medic (like I didn't!) then you are ******!

Soldato
OP
I'm sure ammo will become a problem - especially as I'm also struggling to keep track of 4 characters and their separate needs but as I mentioned my biggest issue at the moment is that creatures just storm you and I can't understand why my percentage chance drops to sub-25% when they are right next to me!?!?

Soldato
OP
Difficulty level?

Embarrassingly I'm on the easiest setting - and I've since learned that just wandering around the waste will regenerate my health but I'm still struggling to understand why I'm doing so badly in combat against what I assume should be easy opponents??

I can set up my team in various defensive positions but the animals are just running straight up to my Rangers and my percentage chance to hit drops really low!?!?

Soldato
The starting point is actually the hardest with ammo very scarce, your equipment and similarly lack of skill points into skills, so yeah getting over this hump is the hard bit, but it becomes amazingly rewarding.

• As above, weapons have a ideal range. If the enemy is not within that range, the weapon chance to hit drops drastically.
  • Try to find and apply mods, -AP mods can mean an extra round of fire. Scopes and barrels can help with accuracy.
  • Use formations, keep your snipers and what have you trailing, if you have more resistant members, ideally melee, keep then up front. If you see enemy members up ahead, creep slowly into position behind cover or crouch when there is no cover. Then engage closest target with gunfire, normally able to pick off or damage an enemy that way.
  • Take a shovel with you, easy way to get items / ammo!
  • Reload between combat.
  • Try to avoid doubling up on skills

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the tips @Radox-0 - I wondered if you could answer a few other queries:

1. Is there ever any other loot than off the dead bodies? (I quite often wander around holding a but can't see any loot boxes!)
  2. What is the best way to build up money (scrap?) - I can't see much difference between dismantling weapons and just selling them to vendors??
Thanks...

Soldato
Thanks for the tips @Radox-0 - I wondered if you could answer a few other queries:

1. Is there ever any other loot than off the dead bodies? (I quite often wander around holding a but can't see any loot boxes!)
  2. What is the best way to build up money (scrap?) - I can't see much difference between dismantling weapons and just selling them to vendors??
Thanks...

Yep lots of places for loot. Some will be in safe's which you may need lock picking or computer science to get into. Other look may be in toasters (why there is that random toaster repair trait!) Some will also be buried, hence ideal to carry around a spade, if you see slightly different texture round circle, may be a sight you can dig up and so on. With that said, outside few scripted events to get loot, will not be any big loot box's hanging around, partly fits in with the theme I suppose of obvious bits of loot being fought over being the wasteland and all.

Initially can break down useless weapons and sell of the parts not needed usually works out more profitable, more so when selling in the citidal. Scrap is another one as is useless clothing and armour. In some instances can sell loose Ammo also if your fairly sure you will not use it. later in the game, higher tier weapons are best to sell off as they are. Try to find and do sidequests when you can, more so for vendors if they have them. Can get a discount with some.

Soldato
OP
Being a complete beginner I'm just trying to find my feet by wandering around the waste looking for random encounters while not straying too far from an oasis and the Ranger Citadel.

The encounters I have had have only had loot on the dead bodies and nothing else - does this sound correct?

Also, I picked up a gun that wasn't of any use and so used my Ranger with "weaponsmithing" to deconstruct it - initially it told me 50% was unrecoverable but then there were 2 other items (can't remember what but one was an under barrel mod I think!) - trouble is, when I did the deconstruct all I got was broken weapon parts and nothing else? Is this dependent upon something to work??

Soldato
OP
Hmmm, I think I'm improving at combat (although I'm still struggling to understand why when I move to 2 spaces behind an opponent and want to blast him in the back with a shotgun, my hit chance is 20-30%!?!?!) - the problem i'm having now is ammo!

I'm staying close to the Citadel and winning random skirmishes but it's costing me more in ammo than I'm getting in scrap/loot!?!?! What is the best way to progress in the early goings ammo-wise??

Soldato
If you can, have someone rely on melee combat, normally same person with tougher resistance / HP. For the other's try to ensure they are proficient in different weapons if you can, or at least arm them with different weapons at the start to use different ammo types.

In regards to deconstructing weapons, yes, Weaponsmithing is the trait you want. Its useful for both increasing chance of getting better items from deconstructing, but also in allowing you to merge higher level weapons and addon's together. Ideal to have one person in your party with this skill, transfer weapons to them to mod, then back to the primary user.

While staying near the Citadel is good, I would also branch out a bit and go to the quest zones. Normally can get ammo off enemies, and do side quests to get items / weapons etc.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the info @Radox-0 - I think I'm starting to get a handle on all of the stats and skills that appear to have HUGE impact upon your combat!

I'm only at the AG Centre and there is sooooo much to take in it's a bit overwhelming! Nothing more annoying than not being able to crack into a safe because you have neglected the safecracking skill or "failing" in a conversation because of not having the required "kiss ***" level!

Great game tho!

Back
Top Bottom