• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When does a CPU hold back 4k resolutions

Soldato
As title I keep seeing GPU is more important as it's more GPU bound at 4k when people want to get better performance out of their games at 4k.
Some people are still running 2500k and are being recommended to keep them overclocked and get a better GPU. But when does it get to a point that a CPU must be upgraded to get better frame rates in 4k gaming?

In a funny way 4k could be a good platform to have if your on lowish budget as you will just need to upgrade your GPU if you have a 5 year old system already. I know GPUs are expensive but you could be quite happy on a Vega 56 or a Nvidia 1080.

I don't have 4k yet myself so this is just coming from stuff I read on here and lots of YouTube reviews.

Now is an ideal time to upgrade a quad core with all the Ryzen chips and motherboards on offer.

Soldato
I have just upgraded from i7 3770k to 3800x. This thread made me hesitate on my purchase as my gpu ran at ~100% and my 3770k at 50-60%.

In games there is a marked improvement in frame rate variance making for a much improved gaming experience. Frame rates average higher also as the minimums are much closer to the maximums. I did wonder from this thread if my £700 investment would leave me feeling it was a waste but definitely not. Though I have come from old chipset and DDR 3 ram, so a boost in modern chipset and decent DDR4 would obviously show a more marked improvement than say those moving from a chipset that supports DDR4 already.

So from my experience as a 4K gamer the upgrade was well worth it and very noticeable in gameplay smoothness and decent performance uplift.

Soldato
Depends what kind of games you're playing

What he noticed is valid.

If your 3770k was only 60% usage at 4K and your gpu 100%. Then upgrading the cpu probably wouldn’t change average frame rate much for 4K - but the minimums would get a big boost.

Not everyone fully gets it though - I had someone try to argue with me that a 2500 k was awesome for Battlefield V at 1440p because they average 80fps and me telling them it must be a pretty unstable experience with those low frequent minimum frame drops fell on deaf ears.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

What he noticed is valid.

If your 3770k was only 60% usage at 4K and your gpu 100%. Then upgrading the cpu probably wouldn’t change average frame rate much for 4K - but the minimums would get a big boost.

Not everyone fully gets it though - I had someone try to argue with me that a 2500 k was awesome for Battlefield V at 1440p because they average 80fps and me telling them it must be a pretty unstable experience with those low frequent minimum frame drops fell on deaf ears.

yeah completely agree. For some people the minimums matter just as much as the average as well. Really comes down to what your priorities are.

Soldato
yeah completely agree. For some people the minimums matter just as much as the average as well. Really comes down to what your priorities are.

I play FPS's. My GPU % Usage graph on the 3770k was much more variable, still up in the 90's but now it is nearly a solid line in afterburner at 99-100%. Z77 the variance was low to high 90%'s.

Increasing minimums equals less frametime variance. I'm quite a pessimistic person so did accept that maybe I wouldn't be able to see or feel a difference at all and maybe it would only be measurable via software.

But no, to my surprise the difference is really noticeable. My gaming experience is much smoother with no stutter invoked by frametime variance. Plus the jump in RAM speeds coming from Z77 to X570 is significant. PArticularly as you can run very high RAM speed frequencies.

Anyone on Sandy or Ivy its deffo worth the upgrade, cant comment on HAswell as I didnt come from that. Folk can convince themselves all they want and I nearly was reading this thread but I wanted an upgrade and was prepared that it wouldn't make much difference in gaming. But it did, for me, a big one.

Back
Top Bottom