• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Even if AMD bring out a cheap GPU which beats everything

Caporegime
Nobody who owns a g sync monitor will buy it.

This is a major issue for me. My last two monitors both being g sync, I now need to buy nvidia.

Or can I use AMD perfectly fine so long as it maxes out the refresh rate of 165hz at 1440p?

I like to buy best bang for buck but it seems that once you pick a monitor you have effectively chosen a side. You can no longer switch unless you also sell the monitor which is a huge pita.

Permabanned
Now youse cant leave, For you Gsync for me it is DSR sadly AMD are lacking always happens they innovate but never make a monopoly and normally it dies becauee when Ngreedia do a monopoly it is forced on a larger audience and thus gains traction.

In time open source prevails, So never buy into a monopoly feature.

Soldato

This is a major issue for me. My last two monitors both being g sync, I now need to buy nvidia.

Or can I use AMD perfectly fine so long as it maxes out the refresh rate of 165hz at 1440p?

I like to buy best bang for buck but it seems that once you pick a monitor you have effectively chosen a side. You can no longer switch unless you also sell the monitor which is a huge pita.

You personally are locked in yes. With a Gsync monitor you have to use Nvidia cards if you want that feature.

You can do it the other way round however as evidenced by Nvidia realising that Freesync, being free, has vastly more of the monitor market than their Gsync taxed monitors, so they now allow Nvidia cards to use freesync monitors with ominous warnings that it's so much better if they just pay up for a Gsync monitor.

There's some truth in that, there are good and bad levels of freesync, depends on the manufacturer. But you are guaranteed to not get the Gsync tax.

Caporegime

More and more Freesync monitors are supporting Gsync which is great for the consumer as they're cheaper and it breaks the Nvidia lock in.

My Samsung UW supports Freesync and Gysnc works pretty well apart from the odd title where I get flickering. It's not perfect but I'd rather not be locked in so will live with it.

Soldato

You have Xbox Live, which means you have an Xbone, which supports Freesync and makes all console gaming more playable.
Why for the love of god you get Gsync monitors?

Soldato
More and more Freesync monitors are supporting Gsync which is great for the consumer as they're cheaper and it breaks the Nvidia lock in.

My Samsung UW supports Freesync and Gysnc works pretty well apart from the odd title where I get flickering. It's not perfect but I'd rather not be locked in so will live with it.

Isn't it the other way around.

Nvidia is supporting the Freesync standard and calling monitors "Gsync compatible" when they think the Freesync implementation is good enough.

Soldato
It's inevitable now that Gsync is going to die out. You can't compete with a free alternative and manufacturers just aren't buying in to gsync.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Isn't it the other way around.

Nvidia is supporting the Freesync standard and calling monitors "Gsync compatible" when they think the Freesync implementation is good enough.

Depends on if your look at it from the hardware or software protocol point of view.

Gsync monitors dont support Freesync.
Some Freesync monitors can run Gsync.

Soldato
Once Intel release their freesync (Adaptive sync) supporting gpu's then it's all over for Gsync. Best to get a decent Freesync monitor if you are looking to upgrade.

Soldato

I said the exact same thing when I bought my Gsync monitor. Once you choose Gsync or FreeSync you are tied to Red or Green for the lifespan of the monitor. Which is why I went Nvidia as overall they produce the fastest cards year on year. I had to make a choice.

Permabanned
I said the exact same thing when I bought my Gsync monitor. Once you choose Gsync or FreeSync you are tied to Red or Green for the lifespan of the monitor. Which is why I went Nvidia as overall they produce the fastest cards year on year. I had to make a choice.

I shudder to think of the prospect of upgrading from my 1080 to 5700xt when really you can have options up to the crazy Titan. It is a no brainer they were really stupid to cave in with gsync but glad they did it could have gotten really messy and nasty because it was good and technically superior.

bru

bru

Soldato
Bottom line, GSYNC will eventually die off and we will just have one variable refresh rate technology.
Just like with VHS Vs Beta max, bluray vs HDdvd and so many others.
Just makes you wonder how long it would have taken to get VRR if NVIDIA hadn't pushed the tech first.

Isn't the HDMI 2.1 spec still only have VRR as an optional part, maybe when 2.2 arrives it will be compulsory and then it will be all over. Then again maybe NVIDIA will use HDMI 2.1 with VRR on the next 7nm cards.

Soldato
Depends on if your look at it from the hardware or software protocol point of view.

Gsync monitors dont support Freesync.
Some Freesync monitors can run Gsync.

Well the standards haven't changed but Nvidia announced official support for their cards to use the sync feature of Freesync monitors under the name of "Gsync compatible" which is still Freesync even if it's a quality controlled filter to only be the better implementations of Freesync.

Associate
I have a g sync monitor and depending on the price/ performance of the next cards I'll upgrade even if it's to AMD as the performance will outweigh the benefits of gsync currently a Navi offers 50-100% performance over my current card which obviously makes g sync pointless in my case as I wouldn't need the sync feature of I'm getting double the FPS anyway

Permabanned
If I was in this position today I'd sell my G-sync monitor before everyone else realises that Gsync's the new Betamax & the market falls through the floor, then I'd do my homework & buy one of the better Freesync monitors which will keep me open to not only Nvidia & AMD gpu's but also Intel gpu's going forward. There's no reason for people to buy G-sync monitors anymore.

Soldato
I still regard Gsync as the superior technology tho. You know what you are getting with a Gsync monitor. They all do the same thing. With FreeSync (which is the reason why FreeSync2 was necessary, but still hasn't full addressed the problem) different monitors implement different specs of the FreeSync technology. Some monitors have different ranges same don't have low frame rate compensation etc etc....

This doesn't exist in the Gsync world.

So Freesync needs to be certified and standardised so that us as consumers know that all FreeSync 2 monitors meet a certain set of criteria.

That for me is the difference.

Soldato
Don't think anyone says Gsync is less capable. Always been about Nvidia wanting money for for adaptive sync when AMD gave out the means to do it for free.

You're not going to have a worse time with a good Freesync implementation so if standards can be tightened up everyone who's not Nvidia is happy.

Back
Top Bottom