• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New CPU choice.

Caporegime
if you go the 450b route wait about 1-2 weeks new revisions to the boards are out. bigger bios chips and native support for new amd chips. they will be the same price also. thats why there has been sales on older 450 versions recently. 450 MAX.

Associate
if you go the 450b route wait about 1-2 weeks new revisions to the boards are out. bigger bios chips and native support for new amd chips. they will be the same price also. thats why there has been sales on older 450 versions recently. 450 MAX.

I was trying to find some actually prices listed yesterday (unsuccessful), as I have a feeling the retailers will try to sneak an extra £20+ on top for "max" boards..

Soldato
Can you please link a review that uses a 1070 TI or equivalent then please?

Unless the card is demanding way more than the CPU can supply then those hiccups as you call them, don't happen.

Look at the 4K results. I understand your logic but it doesn't work that way in reality. At 1080p the CPUs have much higher fps than at 4K and yet when you look at 4K result you can see the same dips occurring, even though you're GPU bound. There are still performance variations due to the CPU itself EVEN when you are GPU bound, and this can also be seen when you see tests of older CPUs vs newer CPUs while gaming at high resolutions (4K+) and being GPU bound. The difference isn't as severe, but it's still there.

I know someone did some tests with GTX1080 & new CPUs vs 2080ti it but can't remember atm, I don't compile the info for CPUs, I just read for myself and move on.

Edit: here's what I mean, this can't be explained as anything other than a CPU issue:
vd4Ioxt.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit: here's what I mean, this can't be explained as anything other than a CPU issue:

If you'd played KCD you'd know that Ultra High actually has a warning stating it is for future hardware that does not yet exist, lol. That includes both CPU's and GPU's, direct from the developers in-game warnings and blog.

So, anyhow back in reality. 1070Ti at 1440p with an Intel 9400F, 9900K, or Ryzen 5 26t00 will have literally 2-5% difference in *most* games at the settings the GPU can handle.

Caporegime
3900x & 3950x are still inferior to 9700k/9900k for gaming, so it doesn't matter. As for 4000 series, who knows. It's some very spurious logic to consider a worse processor over a better one just in case you want to upgrade a year from now, especially as 2+ years from now we'll be on DDR5 (and AM4 will be also "dead"). I look at CPUs on 5 year cycles, not 1-2, it's not a GPU. Nor does OP seem the type to upgrade every year either. So the argument, in 2019, seems very weak, frankly.

He games at 1440p...you haven’t really thought this through have ? :p

Soldato
Do you have a link to the original video?

I posted the article above, Eurogamer.

If you'd played KCD you'd know that Ultra High actually has a warning stating it is for future hardware that does not yet exist, lol. That includes both CPU's and GPU's, direct from the developers in-game warnings and blog.

So, anyhow back in reality. 1070Ti at 1440p with an Intel 9400F, 9900K, or Ryzen 5 26t00 will have literally 2-5% difference in *most* games at the settings the GPU can handle.

You're still not getting it, and it seems to me intentionally, so consider this my last attempt. You can see this happen across multiple games, not just KCD, and it's not about 2-5% difference because I'm not talking about average fps, I'm talking about hiccups, i.e. 0.1% and 1% frametimes.

I've offered OP the info I had, and up to him now to consider it, I'm not going to do the "let's argue in circles" thing that's so popular.

Soldato
I've offered OP the info I had, and up to him now to consider it, I'm not going to do the "let's argue in circles" thing that's so popular.

Circles? Feel free to believe what you believe, but don't pass it off as true or fact when the supposed information doesn't reflect that hardware being used by the OP. Your hiccups the 0.1% and 1% lows are caused by the CPU not being able to provide the GPU with enough data, if you alter the capability of the GPU then those hiccups don't happen since the system is being restrained by the GPU. Providing an actual example of comparable hardware is the obvious solution.

Again 1440P with a 1070 Ti could be used with any modern multi-core CPU and those hiccups would not happen. Fiar enough if the OP spends £550+ on an RTX 2070 Super or above then we can talk, or goes to peasant 1080P.

Soldato
I run a mini-ITX system with Ryzen 5 2600 on an Asus B450I Strix and a GTX1080 at qHD. The Ryzen 5 3600 consumes very little power so is ideal for such a system. My Xeon E3 1230 V2/Core i7 3770 consumed around the same power as the Ryzen 5 2600.

Also the DF video talked about balancing performance at appropriate resolution with an appropriate graphics card. In that end they still gave the overall recommendation to the Ryzen 7 3700x, especially since all their results were with the Ryzen CPU using the stock cooler, and the Intel system was using a very high end AIO water cooling unit.

Another thing OP,the PS5(and most likely the next XBox) are using Zen2 cores,so a Ryzen 5 3600 would do the job very nicely for you IMHO.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was trying to find some actually prices listed yesterday (unsuccessful), as I have a feeling the retailers will try to sneak an extra £20+ on top for "max" boards..

even if its twenty quid extra. you know your cpu will drop straight in no bios upgrade needed and the double size bios rom chip might be a saving grace in the future. they have obviously doubled the size of it for a reason.

Caporegime
even if its twenty quid extra. you know your cpu will drop straight in no bios upgrade needed and the double size bios rom chip might be a saving grace in the future. they have obviously doubled the size of it for a reason.

They needed more space for the code....And two keep all their fancy GFX etc...The lite bios is the same apart from fancy gfx of dragons etc...

Saving grace from what? If a bios supports a chip it supports it...

Associate

Sure, but it was the "sneaky £20+" I was complaining about - i.e. the boards just being marked up for the sake of greed.

Permabanned
OP
I ended up going with the i5 9400f, both the 1151 and am4 sockets are on the last cpu lines they will get. Ddr5 is round the corner and so on...

You said get the 3600 because of future upgrade abilitie but I didn't see anything other than a 3900x as options for the future.

In the here and now the i5 is better than 3600 and if I upgrade cpu in the future the 9900k is better than a 3900x, and it overclock like a monster.

I was look forward to ryzen 3rd gen. But we was told a 20% increase over Intel.. I fell if anything is now neck and neck before overclocking. And depending on the price point your looking at Intel is now cheaper

Soldato
In the here and now the i5 is better than 3600

I'd question how it is better, even if you run the CPU with MCE on an all cores at 4.1GHz that is still slower than an R5 3600 which will do 4.2GHz all-core, and we already know that the IPC in a clock for clock comparison situation puts the Zen2 architecture ahead, so I think you may have sold yourself a false truth there.

Last edited:
Associate
Ryzen 4000 launching in 2020 will likely still be on the AM4 socket since AMD says they will support the socket into 2020. Also DDR5 will probably be available to servers and such first before arriving to the mainstream market.

Naming wise the Ryzen 5000 will be perfect for a 2021 release since how can AMD resist this:
Ryzen 5000 build on the 5NM process for the AM5 socket with PCIE5 + DDR5 support and how about a release date of 5/5 2021 :D

Associate
the time as come to give the GF her system back and buy my new one.
System is used for gaming and watching movies nothing more, with the new intel pricing i am confused on what to buy.

Ram and motherboard will cost the same no matter if i go AMD or intel. but for my needs is the i5 9400f better than the R5 3600.

9400f ccan be had new for £134, the 3600 is around £188
i game at 1440, and GPU is a GTX 1070ti

I think you made the right choice, especially getting the i5 at a bargain.

https://i.imgur.com/cwWOj95.jpg

He did say, though, that the i5 was not as smooth as the R5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGNG9AZKtsg

Back
Top Bottom