How long do you keep your casual clothes for?

Caporegime
I still have boxer shorts that I bought 5 years ago.

Some of my favourite t-shirts and polo shirts must be upwards of 7 years old.

I struggle to dispose of clothes that I like and I have a wardrobe full of ****, much of which is starting to look faded and tired.

I don't think it's a wider issue as I don't particularly hoard anything else.

My wife has a complete wardrobe refresh every summer, but ain't nobody got time fo dat. Also seems like a waste of money to me, but then I don't want to look like a dirty tight-arsed scrubber. Maybe I should start to take more pride in my appearance and throw clothes away once they've been washed a few dozen times.

Soldato
About once a year I will go shopping (usually just befor a holiday) and some of the older things that are looking tatty will get chucked out

Don
I'll tend to keep stuff until it starts to come out in holes (usually wear points - underarms/heals/crotch :D ) or the fabric is faded or losing it's shape. Usually do a purge every 6months at the start of summer/winter and replace anything on the way out.

Soldato
Ages. Only maybe buy a couple of t-shirts or shirts a year and jeans whenever mine wear out. Same for boxers and socks once they get too holey they're gone. I keep a few dirty or worn clothes for outdoor or painting work but generally get rid. Old clothes often get turned to rags for cleaning my bike too.

Soldato
Generally go like above, once wear starts to show. Sadly by this time I've got emotionally attached to items and they fit great. Got 3 pairs of chino type things about 2015, in circulation and all are about to give up the ghost.

I need to do a big shopping trip but I end up losing the habit :(

Caporegime
I'll tend to keep stuff until it starts to come out in holes (usually wear points - underarms/heals/crotch :D ) or the fabric is faded or losing it's shape. Usually do a purge every 6months at the start of summer/winter and replace anything on the way out.

Pretty much the same. Though this means I've still got some t-shirts that are about 15 years old!

Caporegime
I tend to just keep them unless stained/damaged.

Generally this means jeans, socks and underwear get tossed out as they do get worn out/ripped etc... whereas t-shirts and jumpers can be in the wardrobe/draws for years.

I guess the exception for t-shirts/jumpers are where they’re prone to bobbling. Also some cardigan type tops I’d sometime wear instead of coats would get worn out from carrying a rucksack.

Man of Honour
Stuff in daily use like underwear rarely I keep using beyond ~3 years. Aslong as they are reasonably well made stuff like jeans last me years and years I rarely replace them inside 5-7 years, t-shirts, etc. I tend to get bored of and replace more often though I've got 1-2 favourites I'll still use until they start to show signs of falling apart - once things like seams start coming loose I'll replace them.

Soldato
I have a shirt from 15 years ago that STILL fits and looks good :cool:
I've got a 30 year old cardigan that I can still wear! (it is good quality though) I'd probably have a few more around that age but they didn't survive the wifes cull of anything she didn't want me to be seen in. ;)

Soldato
I am still wearing tee shirts from 2003 - I have so many tee shirts I might not wear it again for 2 or 3 weeks - Jeans I wear till they come back into fashion - finally got some with the knee and crotch worn thread bare - I think the crotch is through scratching ;);) and knees is probably carpet burn - Oh hang on that is wishful thinking.
Considering I was always a suit and tie man I have morphed into a scruff.

Soldato
Util holes, rips or fades. Then better ones set aside for things like DIY / painting and rubbish ones kept aside for a bit as rag tag cloths for said DIY etc.

Back
Top Bottom