*** Official Rugby League SLXXIV Thread ***

Associate
The Sts v Wigan game was one of about 3 games this sason where Wigan have been comprehensively beaten (the Good Friday game and the game at the Nou Camp being the others)

It will take a monumental **** up to stop Sts becoming champions

Soldato
OP
Saints are so much better than all the rest its ridiculous!

Good Rovers win on Friday night, inching our way safer but its gong to be really tight at the bottom. Wakefield have a horrendous run in so could see them dragged well into this.

Hopefully Parcell will recover quickly from his shoulder injury as he has been a bit of a catalyst (amongst others) in our recent upturn in form.

Associate
Wigan have an 18 yo prop (Havard) debuting against Wakefield this week. That's pretty young to be facing Fifita! Every team seems to be getting a lot of long term injuries.

Its not looking promising for London. If they go down, they will get all their best players stripped by other SL clubs. That's the thing with p&r I suppose.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
That's the thing with p&r I suppose.

The RFL should'a stuck with the franchise system. But then they should also have decided if they genuinely wanted to expand beyond the M62 corridor or if they were happy sticking with never leaving the north of England.

They've got one French team (les Dracs) in Super League, another knocking on the door (Toulouse) and, potential RFL skulduggery* aside, have now got Toronto heading up next season. Plus the rumblings about a New York team. It's well past time that this was sorted - you can't keep the Super League as small as 12 teams without losing a name once in a while. Bradford and Widnes stand as prime examples for that.

* - and trust me, if London go down the RFL will shrug their shoulders and say 'eh, it happens'. If Leeds come an absolute cropper in the final two games and they end up in the drop spot the fix will be put in...

Soldato
OP
I am really not a fan of these loop fixtures at all. I think its ridiculous having to play teams over and over, and despite all the player pool concern that would be raised if SL were expanded, I think it kinda makes sense to expand the league. I think you need the following:

Bradford - SL has missed Bradford, so provided they are being run correctly I'd admit them.
Toulouse - Catalan need a local rival.

That leaves the big question marks over teams like Toronto, New York and to a certain extent York City Knights who are really pulling up trees these last few years, getting a new ground and are expanding their support base.

Another massive one (aren't they all) for Rovers this weekend against Shudders. Going to be close, but hopefully home advantage will tip it for us.

Last edited:
Associate
Hull v Wigan moved from Saturday to a Thursday night with 15 days notice. Know people who had trains/hotels booked for this. Nothing you can do about it - you take the Sky £ and they call the shots, but annoying none the less

Associate
Generally a big day for results yesterday. I can see why people would be a bit miffed about Sts sending an A team down to London, but they have probably earned the right to do that with them being 10 pts clear. They have learned the lessons of last year. They have comprehensively beaten Wigan 2 out of 3 times this year (the 1st game was quite close), but I still fancy a shot at them with a full team in a play off game. Probably still get our backsides kicked (their front row is outstanding - a particular weak spot for Wigan), but you never know :)

Leeds seem to be in freefall at the moment. A couple of weeks ago I though there was no way they'd go down, but now I'm not so sure. There is always the question of whether they would actually go down or would SL go through mulitiple contortions to make sure they didn't. No such luxuries for everybody else though.

Associate
George Burgess to Wigan?

Cue RLFans explosion as Wigan sign 'typical dirty Wigan player' whilst all wishing they'd signed him.

Not confirmed yet, but Wigan have been struggling in the front row. Are there better props out there? Yes - his twin for a start , Walmesley, Hill, Thompson, Watts. Are they available? No.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Les Dracs have signed James Maloney on a three year deal from next season. Our first signing under the marquee player rules. Samisoni Langi has also signed another two year contract.

Soldato
OP
Managed to attend a home game for a change, first one in a while, and what a game to attend.

Rovers squandered a 12 point lead to go 12 points behind in the second half, only to draw it level and take it to golden point.

Step up Danny Maguire, Rovers receive the ball, 5 tackles then to Mags who kicks a 40-20, for us to kick the drop goal on the restart. Astonishing end to the game. Cas fans will be gutted.

Associate
Big changes at the bottom. Leeds seemed to have got their act together (but have the £ to make this happen). It's Huddersfield and Wakefiled who are in freefall now. Still think London will go down though.

HKR looked pretty good against Wigan and blew some good chances when theh egame was in the balance. Interetsing that they chose to rest Maguire, but you can see why with Wakefield coming up.

Soldato
Come on then predictions on who will make the play offs?

I can honestly see wire falling out of that top 5. I think it shows how poor the league is this year when we can lose so many games and still find ourselves in 2nd. I would hate to be a saints fan (full stop) and not win everything this year.

The relegation battle however is good watching.

Soldato
OP
The relegation battle however is good watching.

Speak for yourself! :D

We have generally played pretty well as of late but it would be VERY like Rovers to lose against Wakey on the weekend leaving it all to do. We never do it the easy way. Fingers crossed we get the victory though, it will be crucial, but so is the London game. If you are Tony Smith though, they are all winnable games and his teams should try and win them all. An admirable mindset.

Soldato
Speak for yourself! :D

We have generally played pretty well as of late but it would be VERY like Rovers to lose against Wakey on the weekend leaving it all to do. We never do it the easy way. Fingers crossed we get the victory though, it will be crucial, but so is the London game. If you are Tony Smith though, they are all winnable games and his teams should try and win them all. An admirable mindset.

Haha oops!

I honestly think and hope KR stay up. How far into the season did they appoint Smith?

Back
Top Bottom