• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo ETA for 3900x?

Associate
My bag of old hard drives is getting bigger - need to get around to destroying the old raptors and stuff at some point! Slowly culling my old HDDs and replacing with a couple of SSDs and NVME now on order.

Caporegime
My bag of old hard drives is getting bigger - need to get around to destroying the old raptors and stuff at some point! Slowly culling my old HDDs and replacing with a couple of SSDs and NVME now on order.
Yep. It seems a shame to build such a cutting edge new Ryzen system and then relying on archaic mech drives for storage.

Caporegime
OP
Yes but surely you haven’t got more than 6 drives?

You kids are so old school. I have 1x Dell T20 Xeon server and a HP micro server both with 16 TB in the Dell is for storage and the HP backups the Dell :D

Both running Stablebit Drive pool. Both out out of site. The backup server shares are then backed up to the cloud.

I only have SSD and m.2 in my pcs and laptops. Pretty much nothing is saved locally apart from games and audio projects

Associate
I
Well then you might just have to do a bit of housekeeping and redownloading. How many games have you got for Pete’s sake?

Yes. This worries me. I have a two year old boy and a very busy house, I bearly have time to game, let alone tidying drives.
The closest i get to that is using CCleaner.
I have 123 Steam Games.

Caporegime
OP
I

Yes. This worries me. I have a two year old boy and a very busy house, I bearly have time to game, let alone tidying drives.
The closest i get to that is using CCleaner.
I have 123 Steam Games.

You need to consolidate those drives into a storage pool on a home made server and just have a couple of SSDS in your main PC

Soldato
Yes but surely you haven’t got more than 6 drives?

In my rig

1 x SATA DVDRW optical (admittedly barely used, right now really just for FF7 disc). If this fails it will be replaced with a external USB unit.
2 x SATA SSD combined 1.5tb
5 x SATA HDD, combined 16tb

So yes 8 used :)

I know external NAS is popular, but to me its more sense just to put storage in my main rig and save the £200-400 or so would need to spend on NAS unit.

On my B450 the 6 SATA ports has already bottlenecked me, I have a spare SATA SSD I have to swap cables to when I want to boot of it.

Soldato
I have to drop from 8 sata ports on my z97 deluxe to 6 on the x570 Aorus Pro.
I had to do a similar thing having lots of 1TB-3TB drives. I ended getting two 8TB drives. It was the best system change I've done apart from moving OS for HDD to SSD way back when. So much quieter as well!

Plus the cost of selling off my older drives nearly paid for the new drives.

Soldato
What was the expectations to just sell 10 3900X cpu's worldwide? As shipped units is practically zero.

OCUK had hundreds come in with the first week (something like 400 in total). Multiply that by tens of thousands of stores world wide. How many do you think they would have made?

Let's say 10k stores had 200 each in first week. That's 2 million units of 3900X alone.

Associate
OCUK had hundreds come in with the first week (something like 400 in total). Multiply that by tens of thousands of stores world wide. How many do you think they would have made?

Let's say 10k stores had 200 each in first week. That's 2 million units of 3900X alone.

No such thing as 10k stores that sell relatively niche stuff like a 3900X.

Back
Top Bottom