Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 front height speaker experience?

Caporegime
I'd love to have ceiling mounted Atmos speakers, but not practical to install in rented accommodation.

I've had 2x PSB Imagine XA speakers since 2017, so I have 5.1.2

It's just added 'atmosphere' really, they aren't as important as front/rear or side speakers.

Associate
OP
I'd love to have ceiling mounted Atmos speakers, but not practical to install in rented accommodation.

I've had 2x PSB Imagine XA speakers since 2017, so I have 5.1.2

It's just added 'atmosphere' really, they aren't as important as front/rear or side speakers.

But are those in an up firing or elevated configuration?

Caporegime
Up-firing

This photo is a few years old, before I upgraded to a 65C9

VincentHanna_Atmos01.jpg

Caporegime
Yeah, really happy with those. I use it mainly for movies and gaming.

That's the Q Acoustics 3050 Fronts, 3090 Centre, I've got 3020 Rears and have since replaced the 3070 subwoofer (140W) with a SVS PC-2000 subwoofer (500 Watts)

Associate
OP
Yeah, really happy with those. I use it mainly for movies and gaming.

That's the Q Acoustics 3050 Fronts, 3090 Centre, I've got 3020 Rears and have since replaced the 3070 subwoofer (140W) with a SVS PC-2000 subwoofer (500 Watts)

Nice. I'm sure the 3000 series are even better than the 2000i series, but right now they cost 3x more than what I can get them at! I'm sure I'll be happy with the 2000i 5.1 package and they had great reviews in their time. They'll smash what I have right now I'm sure! Just clicked buy :D

Soldato
I've just put up front and rear heights, I just need to lower my surrounds this weekend and hoping to try a couple of films out so will report back

Soldato
Don't want to hijack the thread. But I'd like an option on whether the Dali Alteco would be best mounted as front height or rear height down fiirng, for a listing position that is on a rear wall.

I think front or rear can work work, depends where your surrounds are mounted if your against the back wall.

Soldato
Don't want to hijack the thread. But I'd like an option on whether the Dali Alteco would be best mounted as front height or rear height down fiirng, for a listing position that is on a rear wall.

I sit against rear wall with my alteco above me down firing. Sounds good to me.

I use a Yamaha rxv 781 amp. Atmos tracks do sound great but I don't think atmos is a game changer really. It's just a nice addition.

Last edited:
Associate
I have Kef Q900 fronts and as a bit of a short term measure I fitted 2 Kef eggs I had spare as front heights (mounted to the wall at ceiling height).

For me I couldn't hear any effect from them, on the Atmos movies that I had at the time.

I am putting this down to the 900s being fairly tall and wide sound dispersion that they give makes the sound appear "tall and wide" anyway.

Mounting speakers to the roof for me is a little difficult (I still need to get wife approval) but I think they need to be above my head to get a perceived difference as to where the sound is comming from.

My short reply would be, if at all possible, mount some down firing speakers in the "top middle" position rather that "front height".
I guess it depends on your setup and situation though.

Jase.

Associate
I have KEF Q500 fronts in my 5.1.2 setup, i dread to think (in a good way) what the Q900's would be like (thinking of the old Maxell tape advert ) lol

in think in a 5.1.2 config, TMR/L is a good choice, I have Kef T101's as my atmos speakers, and T301's behind me, with a Q200 centre,

Soldato
I have KEF Q500 fronts in my 5.1.2 setup, i dread to think (in a good way) what the Q900's would be like (thinking of the old Maxell tape advert ) lol

in think in a 5.1.2 config, TMR/L is a good choice, I have Kef T101's as my atmos speakers, and T301's behind me, with a Q200 centre,

I didn't like my kef q. Good but not great. My kef reference now are big upgrade in sound and build quality

Associate
I didn't like my kef q. Good but not great. My kef reference now are big upgrade in sound and build quality

i expect so is your mortgage payments lol, end of the day its personal prefrence and setup, best i could do is go up to the R series as in some R500's i dont have a dedicated home cinema as such,

not sure about other makes but i know the KEF's dp better if the drivers all match tonally, mine do, but my setup is prob like 3m by 3m, so tin cans would prob sound good

Back
Top Bottom