• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080 Super, Upgrade From 970

Associate
Hi all , Thinking about a 2080 Super when they come along to replace my aging 970
just wondering if there is any worth in waiting till i upgrade the rest of my system in October/November
are there any other cards coming later this year?

i play at 1440p Currently and will later upgrade to Ultrawide or Super Ultrawide @1440p
will the CPU bottleneck at this resolution by much?

will there be a large difference even before the CPU upgrade ?

Current system
i5 3570k @4.4Ghz
16 GB 3200 Mhz RAM
MSI GTX 970

Playing
Path of Exile
Escape From Tarkov
Multiplayer Titles in general

any help advice or thoughts welcome thanks!

Associate
I have an RTX 2080 paired with 7700K at 1440p and I still face a bottleneck in games like Assassins Creed Origins/Odyssey, BF V, Shadow of Tomb Raider. I would not recommend an RTX 2080 super to be paired with that CPU. You won't be able to use its full potential.

Soldato
You always have this option:

Get yourself a £190 r5 3600, a £70 B450 mobo and some cheap ddr4 16gb, bye bye cpu bottleneck. A 2070s is 90% faster than a 980ti in tomb raider with no cpu bottleneck.

I agree with that, but I would add make sure the ram you buy is no less than 3200MHz which now days seems to be the standard. The Dark Pro 8 Pack stuff that OcUK sell will do the trick.

Or look on the members market for second hand CPU's. ;)

Associate
OP
i will be upgrading to a 3900x or 3950x in oct/nov , i have enough for the card now so was just wondering if i would see any gains
while i waited to build the new pc in oct/nov im in no real rush so will just wait till november :)
thanks

Back
Top Bottom