Samsung RU8000 vs LG Nano Cell

Associate
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a 55 inch TV and have so far narrowed it down to:

• LG 55SM8600PLA 55 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart NanoCell LED TV Freeview Play @£750.00
  • SAMSUNG UE55RU8000TXXU 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV with Bixby @ £849.00

I don't think I could justify going OLED or QLED so was trying to pick the next best option, unless people think it is worth it for another hundred or so? If so which one?

Or maybe go a bit cheaper as I won't be gaming on it:

• Hisense H55U7BUK (2019) ULED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55" with Freeview Play, Black/Silver @ £649.00
  • SAMSUNG UE55RU7400UXXU 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV with Bixby @ £699.00

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
LG Nanocell is fantastic but make sure you go for the versions with full array dimming. The vertical banded dimming is incredibly annoying in dark scenes.

Looks like both options you have listed aren't full array dimming.

On the LG side you have to step up to an SM90 to get that (a fair bit more expensive).

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers both, I'm now considering the LG B8 - what do you reckon?

Leagues ahead, but best suited for movies and anything that doesn't contain static content. You WILL eventually encounter uneven pixel wearing if you watch stuff with static content, but if you're not phased by it then it's a very, very nice TV. I couldn't personally go back to LCD; the risk of "burn in" is outweighed by the superior contrast.

Associate
OP
Cheers MrRockliffe, one final question, do you reckon it'd be worth getting the OLED55C8PLA for £1,245 versus the OLED55B8PLA for £999.00? Or just stick with the B8?

Soldato
Cheers MrRockliffe, one final question, do you reckon it'd be worth getting the OLED55C8PLA for £1,245 versus the OLED55B8PLA for £999.00? Or just stick with the B8?

The C8 has a better SoC (processor), which can handle more complex image processing, such as colours and motion. I couldn't personally tell of any difference; due to the nature of OLED, pixels take a very short amount of time to switch from one colour to another (less visible motion blur). This is great in the sense that you encounter less blur when gaming etc, however it also means that with 24Hz content, such as film, you can notice some judder when panning. I don't notice it enough for it to bother me, but I do see it.

C8 also has a different stand and better speakers.

For me personally, the C8 isn't worth the extra money over the B8; I would much rather spend the difference on a good external audio upgrade, such as a sound bar, or a new subwoofer :)

There's something to be said when you can watch a film in a pitch black room, and it looks as though the content is floating in the air, with no visible bleed or clouding.

Associate
OP
Thanks.

with 24Hz content, such as film, you can notice some judder when panning. I don't notice it enough for it to bother me, but I do see it.
Do you reckon the C8 would improve on this at all?

For me personally, the C8 isn't worth the extra money over the B8; I would much rather spend the difference on a good external audio upgrade, such as a sound bar, or a new subwoofer :)
Not worth it at £246 extra do you reckon?

Soldato
Do you reckon the C8 would improve on this at all?

I couldn't say for certain, since I haven't tested it myself. Intuition would tell me that since it's a characteristic of OLED, probably not. I believe the SoC on the C8 handles motion processing, such as de-judder, better, but I find that this introduces further artifacting when the motion can't be predicted. Hence, I leave it off.

Not worth it at £246 extra do you reckon?

Not in my opinion. I would personally prefer a nice sound bar to go along with my new expensive TV.

Associate
OP
however it also means that with 24Hz content, such as film, you can notice some judder when panning. I don't notice it enough for it to bother me, but I do see it.
When might I see such content do you reckon? I was planning on getting a Virgin Internet and TV bundle and Netflex Premium. Or does it vary on how the content was recorded maybe?

Associate
OP
Ah okay cool, I think I'm sold then.

What should I do when I get it, any settings I should change out box, or any tests I should do to make sure it's not a keeper?

Any recommendations on stands?

Associate
OP
Cheers for all your help MrRockliffe, I've just bought the LG B8 PLA for £979 from Richersounds, so happy, my first ever TV purchase!

Associate
OP
I asked RS to price match Peter Tyson and thankfully my local store didn't mind matching an SLC version of the TV to the one I was looking buy, the PLA version. They were happy as it's just a different stand (+ upgraded speakers as I understand it), that they'd price match PT. But they don't just match the price, they beat the price so subtracted £20 off the PT price. Hence getting it for £979. A real bargain if you ask me. Took away from store there and then :D Make sure you're a VIP member, it's free, and you get a 6 year guarantee on the TV for free.

Associate
OP
I couldn't say for certain, since I haven't tested it myself. Intuition would tell me that since it's a characteristic of OLED, probably not. I believe the SoC on the C8 handles motion processing, such as de-judder, better, but I find that this introduces further artifacting when the motion can't be predicted. Hence, I leave it off.
Sounds like you were right, quote below is from a C8 owner:

Everything is configured correctly now, and it looks spectacular! There is the slightest judder occasionally on panning shots but aside from that it is great!

Associate
I asked RS to price match Peter Tyson and thankfully my local store didn't mind matching an SLC version of the TV to the one I was looking buy, the PLA version. They were happy as it's just a different stand (+ upgraded speakers as I understand it), that they'd price match PT. But they don't just match the price, they beat the price so subtracted £20 off the PT price. Hence getting it for £979. A real bargain if you ask me. Took away from store there and then :D Make sure you're a VIP member, it's free, and you get a 6 year guarantee on the TV for free.

Thank you!

Associate
Did you snag one in the end, how much?

I went in today and they would match the deal - £979. But then I got looking at the E8 for £400 more. Now I've confused the life out of myself.... love the looks of the E8 but I dont think the picture improvement was worth the extra cash, although I do prefer the aesthetics of the whole unit. It also didnt help that the B8 was set up next to a Sony AG9.....

Also, the guy was REALLY trying to sell me a Panasonic GZ950. Looked great, however I commented that the output was noticeably darker than any other TV there (RS in Brum) to which Mr Salesman replied "it looks loads better once set up, we just haven't had time- £1700 if you want it today"... didn't really fill me with confidence.

How are you getting on with the B8? I think it's probably the best option for me (in terms of value for money), and I'm likely going to see massive improvement over my old ks7000, however I also took a shine to the new q80r.. what made you go with the B8 OLED over a newer QLED?

Ps. Rs confirmed they've got about 400 B8 pla's left in the warehouse then that's it. Need to make a decision soon!

Soldato
I went in today and they would match the deal - £979. But then I got looking at the E8 for £400 more. Now I've confused the life out of myself.... love the looks of the E8 but I dont think the picture improvement was worth the extra cash, although I do prefer the aesthetics of the whole unit. It also didnt help that the B8 was set up next to a Sony AG9.....
wouldn't you get a 2019 lg model anyway, rather than an e8, if you're climbing to the £1400 level
... I just caught up on the https://www.avforums.com/threads/fl...date-lgs-fw-fix-now-available.2204059/page-60
and people are still waiting for LG fixes for 2018 models, promises, promises.
macro-blocking is a pet hate with the led I currently use, so it would be difficult buying a set with such a known issue ... need to demo with some problem video samples.

A 2018 panasonic oled would still be my pick over a 2018LG, for the panasonic processing (dynamic hdr makes up for lack of dolby vision), but, for some reason, they don't get discussed much here.

Back
Top Bottom