£400-£600 Gaming PC - whats the best we can do!

Associate
My sister wants a gaming PC for her son and as been drawn to tempting PC's in the £400 range, clearly totally inadequate for the task.

The game he really wants to play is Rust- requirements below (min)

• Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 / AMD FX-9590 or better
  • Memory: 10 GB RAM
  • Graphics: GTX 670 2GB / AMD R9 280 better
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 20 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: SSD is highly recommended or expect longer than average load times.

I really don't want then to buy and regret buying a high st PC that isn't upto the task and as no realistic upgrade potential. I'd sooner they spend the £400 on a decent CPU/MB/RAM and tower/PSU and upgrade the GPU later when funds allow - I've a spare adequate GPU they can have in the mean time.

So whats the best we can do for £600 (full system)

or £400 or less without a GPU that would give good performance for the least outlay.

Sorry its a tricky budget to work with!

Soldato
I'm sure @Plec and @orbitalwalsh will be along shortly. In the meantime, here's a starter:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £408.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

You'll note that I've not specced a case. I strongly suggest that you choose the case in concert with your sister.

Oh yes, do build the system with your nephew, not for him. It's a good uncle-nephew bonding session.

Man of Honour
used 1600/2600 - £70-100
b450 board - probably get new
get an rx580 off the MM - last one sold for £80
16gb 3000mhz ram new £65
1tb ssd used - £83 on MM, or 500gb class - £40ish used
550/650w psu = £40ish for a decent one off MM

would be my bargain basket MM choice :)

as @Quartz says, cases are very personal choices, so i wouldn't burden you with my choices.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies:

I'd prefer they go DIY, although I'm sure the idea terrifies them! Unfortunatly I live 100's of miles away so can't help with the build - I'm sure I could convice them this is the best path if I was there and would happily show my nephew - and I think he'd really enjoy it.

Not sure if they'd go for used parts, I'm not overly concerened especially from MM but sister would not be very willing.

I'd like the to buy a case big enough to take full ATX and with enough depth for a full size graphics card, but yeah, they can choose a look to suit them

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Soldato
I'd prefer they go DIY, although I'm sure the idea terrifies them! Unfortunatly I live 100's of miles away so can't help with the build - I'm sure I could convice them this is the best path if I was there and would happily show my nephew - and I think he'd really enjoy it.

This is an excuse for you to visit.

Back
Top Bottom