• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

State of RT today. Is it usuable?

Soldato
So now that we do have a few RT games out and there are still loads coming, are the current line-up of cards even capable?

Lets have an honest discussion of what is possible with the current generation of cards.

If someone buys a 2070 super or a 2080 what sort of RT effects can they enable and still have playable frame rates?

Soldato
So now that we do have a few RT games out and there are still loads coming, are the current line-up of cards even capable?

Lets have an honest discussion of what is possible with the current generation of cards.

If someone buys a 2070 super or a 2080 what sort of RT effects can they enable and still have playable frame rates?

Nope, if you do not plan to spend over £1000 for a GPU.

Also were you saw "loads coming" games? Atm there are about a handful only new ones this year, including Wolfenstein and Stay In Light.

If you talk in general about the future, with the new consoles, we do not know how Turing or NVidia's next gen, will deal with AMD hybrid Ray Tracing.
Because I doubt software companies will do the job twice, so console games will directly come to PC with AMD optimized Ray Tracing.

Soldato
Not really, without sacrificing resolution and/or graphical fidelity.

Resolution yes; fidelity hell no! Look at RT Minecraft and Quake.

It's a marketing gimmick, rushed out the door before the hardware is truly ready.

Not a gimmick but a taster. Ray tracing is immediately and obviously better than earlier methods. We just require more computational horsepower to do it. And that will come.

Soldato
OP
Nope, if you do not plan to spend over £1000 for a GPU.

Also were you saw "loads coming" games? Atm there are about a handful only new ones this year, including Wolfenstein and Stay In Light.

If you talk in general about the future, with the new consoles, we do not know how Turing or NVidia's next gen, will deal with AMD hybrid Ray Tracing.
Because I doubt software companies will do the job twice, so console games will directly come to PC with AMD optimized Ray Tracing.

You've got Control coming too as well as the big Cyberpunk.

Is the new Wolfenstein gonna have RT? Didn't know that.

Soldato
You've got Control coming too as well as the big Cyberpunk.

Is the new Wolfenstein gonna have RT? Didn't know that.

Yet these are 2 games not "loads". As for the new Wolfenstein, apparently it was said that would have however haven't followed it, and the game comes out this week.
The rest of 2018 games like Asseto Corsa, the developers are dead silent on that matter a year later.

Soldato
OP
Yet these are 2 games not "loads". As for the new Wolfenstein, apparently it was said that would have however haven't followed it, and the game comes out this week.
The rest of 2018 games like Asseto Corsa, the developers are dead silent on that matter a year later.

Watch Dogs Legion as well as the new Call of Duty.

So there are some big beefy games supporting the tech.

Soldato
OP
Either which way I really need to and want to hold on for the 3000 series. but it gets harder and harder to do so.

Is my 1080 struggling? Not really. After I turned off all the extras in Metro Exodus it managed the game at Ultra 1440p. Same with Assassins Creed Odyssey. Ultra 1440p. But I imagine it's Gsync which is helping the game feel good as I can see I get dips in fps down to 30 minimums. But it still feels great.

Soldato
Seems to be like something that was just bolted on so Nvidia could try to justify their extortionate prices.

I do agree with this.

Nvidia is clever and what they done is taken DXR and made it RTX now everyone talks about RTX.
Even people ask the question when will AMD support RTX instead of the correct term DXR.

It's a rushed job and not worth it yet while I do really like the technology.
From what I read about how amd will do it makes more sense none of the GPU is left doing nothing.

Caporegime
I do agree with this.

Nvidia is clever and what they done is taken DXR and made it RTX now everyone talks about RTX.
Even people ask the question when will AMD support RTX instead of the correct term DXR.

It's a rushed job and not worth it yet while I do really like the technology.
From what I read about how amd will do it makes more sense none of the GPU is left doing nothing.

A temporary naming kerfuffle that wont last, "when will AMD support PhysX".

Soldato
Usable is always going to be subjective. For me? Absolutely, even a 2070S at 4K. The main issue is adoption rates, as I have little to no interest in it for any of the games announced besides 2: CP2077 & Doom Eternal. Big interest in the former, enough to get me to splurge most likely. That being said, if I could use RT in Assassin's Creed I'd run to the shop immediately. It really comes down to having it in the games you care about, at the end of the day. Performance-wise I'm really not bothered by what I've seen.

Soldato
Either which way I really need to and want to hold on for the 3000 series. but it gets harder and harder to do so.

Is my 1080 struggling? Not really. After I turned off all the extras in Metro Exodus it managed the game at Ultra 1440p. Same with Assassins Creed Odyssey. Ultra 1440p. But I imagine it's Gsync which is helping the game feel good as I can see I get dips in fps down to 30 minimums. But it still feels great.

I had no problems running Metro Exodus at 1440p at decent settings using a GTX1080 and a Ryzen 5 2600,and I don't have a GSync monitor either. I was running the Xbox Game Pass for PC version though.

Soldato
I've been on the forefront of new tech for the last couple years now.
I experienced HDR10 games from when it just came out, as well as Ray Tracing in the last 12 months or so and also VR headsets.

A lot of people are using LCD screens, with no HDR and now they also have this new Ray Tracing technology.

Yes HDR is cool but low adoption and buggy windows makes it meh. Also meh is Ray Tracing - yes it makes games look better but it won't totally blow you away.

Want my advice? Forget HDR, forget Ray Tracing. What you really need is to throw that LCD screen in the rubbish bin and get an OLED screen.
Out of all the new technology, the only one that is worth an upgrade and the only one that makes a massive difference to all your games is moving from LCD to OLED.

Back
Top Bottom