Ryzen 5 3600 with MSI B450 TOMAHAWK - cooler suggestions pls

Associate
Seems the stock cooler is not doing very well, in which case I am looking for alternatives that will work well and so am looking for any suggestions please.

I have not purchased anything as yet, but will be replacing my old mobo etc with the new parts.

TY

Soldato
I got the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo, which is an absolute bargain for less than £30 and does more than a good job at keeping my 3600 cool and quiet. I've come from a custom watercooling setup if it means anything.

Currently on offer at OcUK:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-red-cpu-cooler-2-x-120mm-hs-075-ar.html

A couple of reviews:
https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/arctic_freezer_34_esports_duo_review,1.html
https://www.eteknix.com/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-review/

Associate
OP
Perfect :)

I would like to thank all of you for your suggestions and I'll be going for the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo, which as mentioned is at a great price and does a very good job.
(giong to order the cpu and cooler and wait for the motherboard to come in stock again)

Note: Seems people are having issues with the voltage, but it should not be changed:

TY

Last edited:
Soldato
Perfect :)

I would like to thank all of you for your suggestions and I'll be going for the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo, which as mentioned is at a great price and does a very good job.
(giong to order the cpu and cooler and wait for the motherboard to come in stock again)

Note: Seems people are having issues with the voltage, but it should not be changed:

TY

If you are going with the B450 Tomahawk board then you might want to wait for the 'Max' version. Not sure on release date but I am sure OCUK Customer Services will have an idea.

It should come with the correct bios version, and also has a bigger bios chip of 32MB instead of 16MB.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX

https://hexus.net/tech/news/mainboard/132881-msi-launched-amd-400-300-series-max-motherboards/

Associate
Side note on that cooler, I got it and it's fantastic for the money.

But you may aswell take off the second fan on it, it makes no difference.
I seen it in reviews before buying and tried it myself and can confirm.

Cooler is great with only the one anyway and is very quiet too.

Associate
OP
If you are going with the B450 Tomahawk board then you might want to wait for the 'Max' version. Not sure on release date but I am sure OCUK Customer Services will have an idea.

It should come with the correct bios version, and also has a bigger bios chip of 32MB instead of 16MB.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX

https://hexus.net/tech/news/mainboard/132881-msi-launched-amd-400-300-series-max-motherboards/

Nice to know..

Hopefully we're not looking at a huge increase in price for the Max board, but in any case I'll be watching for it nonetheless.

TY

Soldato
Nice to know..

Hopefully we're not looking at a huge increase in price for the Max board, but in any case I'll be watching for it nonetheless.

TY

Just done a quick google, and noticed it listed on another pc store (Pre-order) for £98.99, so it looks like it will be the same sort of price as the current Tomahawk.

Soldato
Just done a quick google, and noticed it listed on another pc store (Pre-order) for £98.99, so it looks like it will be the same sort of price as the current Tomahawk.

Is the max just helping the board work with both current and last gen CPU's?

I presume theyve had to ditch support for old CPU's to get support for new gen?

Caporegime

It just has a bigger BIOS chip so they don't have to ditch old CPU support and a few features like theyve done on the non max boards.

Soldato

Bigger bios chip as mentioned above, and also it ships with the correct bios version for the 3000 series, so you don't have to mess with bios flashback.

Associate
I'd be interested in seeing how the Arctic Freezer 34 handles the R5 3600. My Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure cooler did a good job at keeping the temps down on an i7 6850K, but it's having to work much harder in an attempt to keep my R5 3600 temps under control.

i7 6850K during a gaming session would usually hover around 60C with the Matterhorn cooler fan running at around 1000rpm.
Ryzen 5 3600 during a gaming session would quickly reach 78C with the Matterhorn cooler fan running at around 1500rpm.

One is a 14nm 140W chip and the other is a 7nm 65W chip. The same case with the same fans and airflow config were used.

Associate
My Deepcool Gammaxx 400 keeps the Ryzen at under 52C under load when playing Division 2 with fans running at 950rpm and hardly audible.

That will easily do the job but if you need looks, dont go for this as the blue led fan looks disastrous.

Associate
My Deepcool Gammaxx 400 keeps the Ryzen at under 52C under load when playing Division 2 with fans running at 950rpm and hardly audible.

That will easily do the job but if you need looks, dont go for this as the blue led fan looks disastrous.

What kind of case cooling do you have and what voltages do your cores hit when gaming? Are you talking about a Ryzen 3000 series chip? Is the Gammaxx 400 really that good?

Associate
What kind of case cooling do you have and what voltages do your cores hit when gaming? Are you talking about a Ryzen 3000 series chip? Is the Gammaxx 400 really that good?

I have a thermaltake versa h18 case with two 120mm fractal fans in the front as intake and two CM master fans at the back and top for exhaust.

Its the 2600 but i dont think the 7nm 3600 would be hotter than this. It does a pretty good job. The stock cooler goes to about 75 so this brings it down a lot on load. I can test any particular application as well if you would like like 3D Mark or PC Mark.

Associate
I am using a Nocuta NH-D15S with my 3600, it never dropped from max boost clock at any load and stay below 60c even in stress tests.

May be a bit overkill?

Back
Top Bottom