Help installing Ring Pro Doorbell

Soldato
On a side note that Ring don't make very clear if you not using an existing chime to connect into and just connecting the door button to the ring transformer you need to add in a 25ohm 50watt resistor that isn't included with the ring pro.

Soldato
It would be far easier if either the Ring or Hello worked on UK voltages of around 8v or if there were chime units with integrated 12/16/24 Volt transformers to directly replace the 8v units.

Associate
Hi,

I'm trying to do exactly the same thing. Did you get this to work? Any luck making the existing bell box chime as well?

Thanks,
Kiz

Associate
Couldn't agree more.

I've asked in another thread, but wondering if the OP got this working? Any luck keeping the existing bell box chiming too?

Soldato
If you've got an Echo or echo dot you can use that instead of a chime it works really well and announces someone is at the door. No need to worry about wiring into a chime then.

Associate
OP
Sorry - I missed the previous replies. I paid an electrician in the end (far safer!) and they installed a DIN enclosure in place of the bell box. They're ~£5 from Screwfix.

Photos here - https://imgur.com/a/ibr4Ogc

I use a wireless chime in the hall way so no real loss. I've kept the old bell box so I can put it all back to standard should I ever move.

Associate
I'm inclined to do it the way originally described.

My brother paid a sparky to do it and he did it this way!

See pic.
oBkpyWa

His chime doesn't work on the bell box but rest is fine.

Echo a good shout but dont want Google to listen to everything!!

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry - I missed the previous replies. I paid an electrician in the end (far safer!) and they installed a DIN enclosure in place of the bell box. They're ~£5 from Screwfix.

Photos here - https://imgur.com/a/ibr4Ogc

I use a wireless chime in the hall way so no real loss. I've kept the old bell box so I can put it all back to standard should I ever move.

Just installed my Ring Pro today. I went with the same setup as @RedTen

All is working fine, however I have one potential problem - the transformer is buzzing/humming. Does anyone else have this issue? I haven't used the Doorbell Bypass Kit that was included as I completely removed the old doorbell. I did try adding it but I couldn't get the wires to stay in it!

Soldato
Just installed my Ring Pro today. I went with the same setup as @RedTen

All is working fine, however I have one potential problem - the transformer is buzzing/humming. Does anyone else have this issue? I haven't used the Doorbell Bypass Kit that was included as I completely removed the old doorbell. I did try adding it but I couldn't get the wires to stay in it!

Did you use the 25ohm 50watt resistor in line to the door bell? If not your supposed to when wiring it direct to the transformer.

Soldato
It's there to stop the doorbell getting too much current so could stop the buzzing. It doesn't come as part of the kit but is mentioned for the install instructions online.

Associate
It's there to stop the doorbell getting too much current so could stop the buzzing. It doesn't come as part of the kit but is mentioned for the install instructions online.

Is this what you're referring to? This seems to be for the standard Ring not the Pro?
https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/a...e-Transformer-Without-a-Pre-existing-Doorbell

I've just been speaking to their online chat and they have advised:

Can you also advise if a 50W Watt 25 Ohm Resistor is required for the Ring Pro?

- no.

The resistor are only for the battery operated doorbells.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all. I have a Ring Pro which I am trying to install and Ring support have been helpfull next to nothing so hopefully I can get more help here.

I want to keep my existing doorbell with Ring but obviously it works on 16VAC while the Ring works on 24VAC. From what I have seen the Ring transformer model AUBT1-24 which comes in the box has 4 out terminals and is capable of multiple voltage outputs. Terminals 1-4 supply 24VAC (in reality around 30 on my multimeter) and terminals 1-3 supply 18VAC.

Question is, can I connect both the Ring and my doorbell to the Ring transformer on different terminals, say 1-4 for Ring (24VAC) and 1-3 for my doorbell (18VAC)?

Associate
Thanks for that. I've fitted the doorbell bypass and checked all the wiring and there is still a faint humming. Its driving me mad! I don't know what an acceptable noise level would be.

Did you ever get a solution for this? I’ve fitted mine and everything works, but I also have a constant humming through the transformer. I have spoken to Ring and complained and they have sent a replacement transformer. Unfortunately, I’m now out of the country for a few months before I can try fitting it. My understanding is a humming transformer is indicative of faulty internal wiring. I don’t see this ‘humming’ appearing on many forums, so I’m guessing it is not normal.

Back
Top Bottom