Pond Help

Associate
Hi, I have moved into a home that already had a pond set up, I have no idea what size other than its decent, problem is it is now green and has purple slime, any fish that were there have since died and this year the frogs have died off, I can't see anything living in it worth saving so I'm emptying it.
Cash is limited and I'm a single mum with no idea on what to do over this problem, I can't ignore it as it had disgusting bacteria looking stuff swimming in it so my question is as a complete beginner how do I completely reverse this pond to factory settings? I'm tempted to bleach the entire thing and use a scourer, I'm actually quite terrified of these disgusting things inside, obviously, at some point in the far off future it would be nice to set it up a prepare it for fish etc but at this point, id take clean water.
Please be kind, I realize to experts I must sound like a lunatic but I have children and pets and I'm concerned about the health aspect of this disgusting stuff inside. Thanks in advance.

Soldato
If not a troll post then pump it out, jetwesh the liner let it dry for a week or so to kill anything off. Then refill with de chlorinated water, ensure a working pump for aeration and bobs your transgender uncle

Associate
Is it a plastic, fibreglass pond or a liner? Without a bit of money spent and a pump to stop the water stagnating the problem will always return. I would have assumed the previous owner would have left the pump and filter in place? It might be that the filter needs a clean

If it’s a fibreglass rigid pond a yard brush with extra stiff bristles works a treat but you’ll still need to get the water out.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Is it a plastic, fibreglass pond or a liner? Without a bit of money spent and a pump to stop the water stagnating the problem will always return. I would have assumed the previous owner would have left the pump and filter in place? It might be that the filter needs a clean

If it’s a fibreglass rigid pond a yard brush with extra stiff bristles works a treat but you’ll still need to get the water out.
It hard seems like plastic I think, the previous owner did leave stuff but it broke and was not repairable, I have drained all water and at least nothing was living in it that needed it ie fish /frogs its just half full now with leaves and gunk, so I'm going to have to manually remove that later today first, this issue is made worse by the position of the pond which is directly under a large tree :(

Associate
It hard seems like plastic I think, the previous owner did leave stuff but it broke and was not repairable, I have drained all water and at least nothing was living in it that needed it ie fish /frogs its just half full now with leaves and gunk, so I'm going to have to manually remove that later today first, this issue is made worse by the position of the pond which is directly under a large tree :(
In that case a large brush with bristles will work wonders once you’ve drained off the water which won’t be easy without a pump. Hot weather and sunlight, leaves from the tree, it will be a never ending task of cleaning it out without a pump and filter running 24/7 even then it will be time consuming when leaves from the tree fall into it.

If you can remove it from the ground clean it up and sell it, running a pond takes time and some investment, that would be my advice

Soldato
Agreed - a small pond under a tree will just be a collection point for leaves and anything else the tree drops. It will be a nightmare to keep clear and healthy.

IMO - move it or remove it.

Back
Top Bottom