Do you keep on top of your domestic chores?

Associate
Really don't know how people keep on top of their chores. Cooking is okay I guess and my missus does most of it. I'm forever tidying her mess and the house, and I don't mind cleaning I find it kinda relaxing in a weird way....but the WORST chore by far has to be washing clothes and then putting the clothes on the line to.dry then having to put the clothes away.

I have 3 wash baskets in the house, always seem full to the top, try and do 2-3.washes a week but never seems to get lower and always have a mountain of clothes, towels, bedsheets over spilling in the wash backets. Hate, hate, hate washing clothes and especially having to put the clothes back in the cupboards on hangers. Takes forever!

Soldato
Get a cleaner. Scientifically proven that people who have cleaners are happier. Ours comes for two hours a fortnight and does all the boring stuff - bathroom, vacuuming, mopping, etc - so you just have to be tidy in the interim. Best £44pm ever.

Not quite our friends in Shanghai though. They have an "auntie" who comes in for 4 hours every weekday. All the washing, ironing, cleaning, even some cooking. For like £80pm.

Soldato
Just don't make a mess in the first place?
Tidy as you go, when you make food, tidy up as its cooking or whatever.
For cloths, cut down on how often you change?

Work days - tshirt, jeans. Maybe a hoodie.
Weekends - if you are doing nothing, tshirt and pants/shorts.
No need for PJ's, just sleep in your boxers.

Don
Wait to you get kids. You will enjoy chores because it's time away from being a parent when you can have some peace and quiet. I relish washing up after dinner. Stick the radio on and have 20 minutes of bliss performing a menial task.

Man of Honour
I usually just set aside a day in the week for doing my chores (usually sunday), and get them all done in one go. Cleaning, laundry, bulk cook on the Sunday and it frees up your entire week. As above it helps if you're tidy and clean as you go most of the time.

Soldato
Get a cleaner. Scientifically proven that people who have cleaners are happier. Ours comes for two hours a fortnight and does all the boring stuff - bathroom, vacuuming, mopping, etc - so you just have to be tidy in the interim. Best £44pm ever.

Not quite our friends in Shanghai though. They have an "auntie" who comes in for 4 hours every weekday. All the washing, ironing, cleaning, even some cooking. For like £80pm.
Two of us and two cats and we need to hoover weekly, at least. It would be good to have a cleaner though and we keep talking about it. Maybe the fortnightly hoover will get into all the books and crannies I CBA with.
I think when kids and multiple bathrooms will hopefully happen the cleaner will too with any luck.

Soldato
the only thing that bothers me is the washing because you need to do that in bulk, hanging it to dry is a ###### pain!...everything else just gets done as needed so doesn't seem like a big job

Associate
Really don't know how people keep on top of their chores. Cooking is okay I guess and my missus does most of it. I'm forever tidying her mess and the house, and I don't mind cleaning I find it kinda relaxing in a weird way....but the WORST chore by far has to be washing clothes and then putting the clothes on the line to.dry then having to put the clothes away.

I have 3 wash baskets in the house, always seem full to the top, try and do 2-3.washes a week but never seems to get lower and always have a mountain of clothes, towels, bedsheets over spilling in the wash backets. Hate, hate, hate washing clothes and especially having to put the clothes back in the cupboards on hangers. Takes forever!

I couldnt agree more.

Caporegime
You hate loading a washing machine and then hanging it up.... Lol
It's literally a job where you do nothing except 15 mins of sorting and pegging.
The machine and the environment do the rest.
Make them hang their own clothes. Just dump them clean with a pile of hangers.

Associate
As someone who has kids, I find this thread hilarious. You have all the time in the world. Just stop being lazy.

Since the arrival of our son (2.5 y/ö) my wife and I wonder how on earth we didn't manage to have a perfectly clean house prior to parenthood.

RE the laundry, do 1 load a day, with the timer set to finish the wash for when you get out of bed. Makes it much easier if you are sorting a small amount daily rather than loads at a time.

Back
Top Bottom