8PACK & Ryzen Hell

Associate
Hi folks.
I recently bought from OCUK the following parts...
CP-3B9-AM - AMD 3600 CPU
MY-08R-TG - Team Group Dark Pro "8PACK Edition" 3866Mhz (x2 kits) (32GB - 4 Dimms)
MB-168-AK - Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate

I was able to update the bios using an old AM4 processor to the latest version and the system with it's default setting "just works".
What I had planned to do when I bought this stuff was run the memory at 3600mhz and if possible tighten the timings a little. When I use XMP profile the system doesn't boot and i've been unable to set anything manually so far.

Can anyone help me to get this system running as intended - I don't really want to RMA any of it.

OcUK Staff
I did not try X470 Taichi and the sticks.i can't test everything. X570 Taichi working fine.

The bios are very immature for X470 so not surprised at all its not working and to be honest. Asrock is small vendor and they are putting resources into x570. Try two sticks first.

Also 'statements like I plan to' guys this is nonsense... Your cpu may be junk... I have a 3900x can't do above 3600 on two sticks never mind four and also infinity fabric can't do above 1600mhz.

The cpu is rated at 3200 - 1600...i don't get all the moaning if it can't do what you want..

This is an immature AMD cpu that behaves massively different to the last... the launch was massively rushed... I told AMD it's not ready myself... I mean what do you expect??? Vendors under way too much pressure to support all thee boards... Impossible task..New agesa code they have to do a new qvl for hundreds of dimms impossible...

Just like pbo is often not working.... IFR has issues...

Yesterday I am preparing bundles ten cpus, three different ram configurations massively different results... You do know all media got samples from AMD and not retail right??

We sold a thousand plus 3866 kits very low rma rate almost zero so why immediately presume its the RAM and not a half cooked launch...

Last edited:
Soldato
I did not try X470 Taichi and the sticks.i can't test everything. X570 Taichi working fine.

The bios are very immature for X470 so not surprised at all its not working and to be honest. Asrock is small vendor and they are putting resources into x570. Try two sticks first.

Also 'statements like I plan to' guys this is nonsense... Your cpu may be junk... I have a 3900x can't do above 3600 on two sticks never mind four and also infinity fabric can't do above 1600mhz.

The cpu is rated at 3200 - 1600...i don't get all the moaning if it can't do what you want..

This is an immature AMD cpu that behaves massively different to the last... the launch was massively rushed... I told AMD it's not ready myself... I mean what do you expect??? Vendors under way too much pressure to support all thee boards... Impossible task..New agesa code they have to do a new qvl for hundreds of dimms impossible...

Just like pbo is often not working.... IFR has issues...

Yesterday I am preparing bundles ten cpus, three different ram configurations massively different results... You do know all media got samples from AMD and not retail right??

We sold a thousand plus 3866 kits very low rma rate almost zero so why immediately presume its the RAM and not a half cooked launch...

Seems to match with what I'm seeing. Hence I'm running stock and waiting for vendors to catch up. I don't think it's time yet to start overclocking and expecting amazing results. AMD didn't do a very good job handling expectations. Although people need to remember they are much much smaller than Intel.

Associate
OP
@8 Pack Do I return all the parts because AMD processors are immature, Asrock are a small company and the Team Group RAM wasn't tested with my chosen motherboard.

Associate
OP
i'm just so confused... AMD marketing say upto 3733mhz on 1:1 with infinity fabric.
I didn't look to deeply into the parts I was buying, just went with what i know and put some parts together and just expected them to work.
I was hoping to have things explained to me by technical support as to why i wasn't getting what i expected.
This is my first PC since my 2012 intel 2500k PC - so far i am unimpressed.
Technical support told me to "ask 8pack" and here i am.

Currently my Team Group Ram is running at 2400mhz and I have no idea what to do about it.

Man of Honour
@Danjhii

my 2p (because i like giving 2p coins):
1) marketing is just it. marketing. amd official spec is 3200mhz.
2) you bought into the marketing. amd's and ocuk's.
3) fact of the matter is that your component choices weren't the wisest and your hard-earned $$$ could have been better redistributed.
4) i'd return all and start again - this time, however, post in the "new to pc gaming and hardware advice" forum first, and one of us will help
5) with that being said, there are occasionally hiccups with any build, so that is always a possibility with any component choice.

Soldato
i'm just so confused... AMD marketing say upto 3733mhz on 1:1 with infinity fabric.
I didn't look to deeply into the parts I was buying, just went with what i know and put some parts together and just expected them to work.
I was hoping to have things explained to me by technical support as to why i wasn't getting what i expected.
This is my first PC since my 2012 intel 2500k PC - so far i am unimpressed.
Technical support told me to "ask 8pack" and here i am.

Currently my Team Group Ram is running at 2400mhz and I have no idea what to do about it.

To be fair it didn't sound like an issue with the equipment. If you're buying components it's generally assumed that you have a decent knowledge of how to assemble them. Ask around here, there are lots of knowledgeable people that can help. It's much much easier to build these days but it's still not 100% plug and play.

"Up to" is the key phrase. Anything over 3200MHz is overclocked. You bought an older motherboard, X470. It will take longer for updates to roll out as X570 will take priority. That said you should be getting higher than 2400MHz but to do that you will have to play around in the BIOS. 3600MHz will need manually setting as I have done with my 4000MHz. If you'd bought 3600MHz RAM then you could reasonably expect plug and play. Look up Ryzen RAM calculator and try that for some settings.

Being an early adopter there will be some fiddling around to be done. This happens on every new release, even with Intel.

Soldato
The backwards compatibility for your motherboard is primarily about the cpu working. Which it is.

But the memory speed increase with the new cpus has no guarantees on the older boards unless the motherboard maker sorts that out. You have 32GB working but you may never see the speed you want. Not unique to this instance but filling all the slots usually decreases the maximum speed the memory can run at.

Associate
OP
You guys seem to know your stuff... what should i do?
Return mobo - (I hear x570 overheat - I don't need pci-e4, the chipset fan will break) I want Iommu stuff hence my choice of x470 board.
Return the Ram and get 32GB 3200mhz
Return the lot and stick with my 2500k for another 7 years.

Man of Honour
(I hear x570 overheat - I don't need pci-e4, the chipset fan will break)
that's a bit of a hyperbole. yes the x570 chipset is hotter than the x470 chipset. the chipset fan is another potential source of failure and by having a moving part, yes it will be louder.
but i wouldn't solely discount an x570 board based on the above. the negatives should be considered but none are an absolute "drop from the shortlist" type flaw.

4) i'd return all and start again - this time, however, post in the "new to pc gaming and hardware advice" forum first, and one of us will help

Soldato
You guys seem to know your stuff... what should i do?
Return mobo - (I hear x570 overheat - I don't need pci-e4, the chipset fan will break) I want Iommu stuff hence my choice of x470 board.

Don't pay any attention to the X570 nonsense. Mine runs fine and I was confident enough to spend £300+ on one and I'm far from rich!

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Have you tried running the ram at a lower speed until a better BIOS is released? I'd be surprised if you can't get 4 x DIMMS at 3200.

Also, don't just rely on the XMP, if it's not working grab Ryzen DRAM Calculator and try manually punching the 'safe' numbers in as a starting point.

Back
Top Bottom