LG32gk850g-b dilemma!

Associate
So I took the plunge and bought the GSync LG 32gk850g-b. Initial impressions were fantastic. From build quality to pic quality to watching movies, playing games etc ticked all my requirement boxes and more. Then . . . I spotted a dark spot on a white background whilst using word. Right in the middle of the left hand side of the screen there is a black dot, about the same size as a full stop in word. You know once seen you can "unsee" this so I contacted OCUK who asked me to contact LG. Contacted LG who opened a case but did tell me right from the start I would be better off getting a replacement from OCUK as they would have to have the whole package back, diagnose then send off for repair, no replacement offered. Could take 2 to 3 weeks. So I contacted OCUK today (monitor was purchased Wednesday delivered Thursday) and explained this but they have now explained to me that the panel is out of stock and they are not intending on stocking it again so my only option with them is a refund. Now I really like this panel, I could buy if from somewhere else but it's way more expensive everywhere else. Is there another panel similar price that performs as well with the same level of pic quality?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Associate
OP
Thanks for the speedy reply. So you lose the GSync module but freesync 2 works ok? I haven't read much on the GSync Freesync saga of late which is why I bought the GSync version. You lose the Overclock feature as well I see but it's only 15hz so can't imagine that making much difference. Looking at the RRP of the 2 panels is it just the GSync module that makes mine £749??? Seems a whole lot of extra money for just GSync.

Soldato
Thanks for the speedy reply. So you lose the GSync module but freesync 2 works ok? I haven't read much on the GSync Freesync saga of late which is why I bought the GSync version. You lose the Overclock feature as well I see but it's only 15hz so can't imagine that making much difference. Looking at the RRP of the 2 panels is it just the GSync module that makes mine £749??? Seems a whole lot of extra money for just GSync.

Yes Freesync 2 works fine i have not experienced any issues with mine and yes you lose the 165hz overclock but would anybody notice ? i doubt it, but you do gain the WCG/HDR and twin HDMI 2.0 ports too. i believe the G-sync module adds about $200 to the price of a monitor from what i have read in the past.

Associate
OP
Just read up on the comparisons of the two panels and it seems they both play very similar which is good news. Reading through a previous lg32gk850g thread there have been others with this panel with dead pixels etc but OCUK have made them pay their own freight if they wanted a return. Seems the average cost is £43!!!! I can't agree with that being fair as it is the only option they are offering me (other than keep a panel that LG have told me to return to OCUK as it really should have 0 defects).

I really wanted another of these!!!!

Soldato
Looking at the RRP of the 2 panels is it just the GSync module that makes mine £749??? Seems a whole lot of extra money for just GSync.
Proprietary G-Sync is Nvidia's plan for making juicy profits also from monitor sales.
You essentially pay to get yourself chained as Nvidia's and Yakuza-Yen's slave.
While FreeSync works with any GPU, whose maker is willing to use it.

VESA standard Adaptive Sync (called FreeSync by most makers) not working with Nvidia cards until last winter was artificial limitation from the start.
Nvidia built G-Sync on top of same variable refresh rate tech, taken from standard of Embedded DP used in laptops and originally invented for saving power.
(page 18)

Soldato
Associate
OP
Proprietary G-Sync is Nvidia's plan for making juicy profits also from monitor sales.
You essentially pay to get yourself chained as Nvidia's and Yakuza-Yen's slave.
While FreeSync works with any GPU, whose maker is willing to use it.

VESA standard Adaptive Sync (called FreeSync by most makers) not working with Nvidia cards until last winter was artificial limitation from the start.
Nvidia built G-Sync on top of same variable refresh rate tech, taken from standard of Embedded DP used in laptops and originally invented for saving power.
(page 18)

Wow, that's a good read. I feel a tad silly really, I am their target consumer I guess. When my 1070 died I wanted to try an AMD card but because I had the Dell S2716DG I went straight to NVidia for Gsync. Now my S2716DG has died I've done the same thing and purchased a Gsync panel (albeit it has a dirty ba
Lack pixel right in the middle of the screen). I feel like returning this panel, selling my RTX 2060 and getting a Freesync panel and a 5700.

Associate
OP
Different brightness/colour spots are one form of defects/imperfectness in LCD panels called with Japanese word "Mura":
https://www.radiantvisionsystems.com/blog/mura-mura-wall

I'm hoping OCUK will accept the panel as defective. I'm a bit cheesed off that now I know it's end of line that's why they reduced the price. I just wish they had a flag on the item page saying end of line or something along those lines with a brief explanation saying they will have no more stock so faults are refund only or contact the manufacturer

Soldato
I'm hoping OCUK will accept the panel as defective. I'm a bit cheesed off that now I know it's end of line that's why they reduced the price. I just wish they had a flag on the item page saying end of line or something along those lines with a brief explanation saying they will have no more stock so faults are refund only or contact the manufacturer
meh they offered you a full refund.

idk what more you want. could be many reasons why they can't offer you a replacement.

if they don't offer you a refund with them paying shipping, then thats next level ridiculous.

Soldato

I don't think any store would or does flag a product EOL, they have offered you a refund so take it and buy from elsewhere if you want the same model or buy a different model like the one i suggested.

Associate
OP
They explained to me in an email they will not be restocking this panel so a refund is my only option. I presume even if I wanted to try a different panel I would still have to return this monitor, get a refund then place a new order.

With regards to the shipping cost, if I had decided to send the monitor back for no other reason than a change of mind then I would expect to pay all shipping costs, that is to be expected but I want this particular monitor, preferably without a defect on the screen but I really do wish it was problem free. I even considered putting up with the defect but I know it will continue to annoy me. Even on offer £560 is not cheap. My last 3 panels have all been Dell and they were all defect free. I guess it's down to QA. Also resale value at a later date will be impacted.

I'm looking now at the Freesync version of this panel as recommended in the first reply to my post or the new 27" Gigabyte.

Associate
OP
I don't think any store would or does flag a product EOL, they have offered you a refund so take it and buy from elsewhere if you want the same model or buy a different model like the one i suggested.

Your right about the EOL info, maybe in a parallel universe

The problem with buying my particular panel somewhere else is the cost. It's £100 plus more at every supplier I can find

Soldato
No offense man but I can't see what the problem is here. You're basically crying about a monitor which is EOL if you bought. Its not their problem.

Now, if OCUK turn around and say
1. Its not a defect aka they're not willing to accept the return
2. They want you to pay for shipping for a clearly defected product

Then I think you can complain.

At present, it just seems like a bit of bad luck. You bought a product which has clearly been outpaced by its freesync brother, and now holding stock of the gsync panel seems very redundant for everyone. OCUK aren't apple or Dell. You can't expect them (or any retailer) to stock unlimited numbers of panels for problematic or low in demand monitors.

Even Rainforest with the CRG9 don't have any in stock and they're 10000x bigger than OCUK and any other retailer.

And as was previously discussed, asking stores to flag up EOL products is just so counterintutive to their business.

Associate
OP
I'll dry my crying eyes and say thanks for the comments & suggestions. I know retailers are never going to flag EOL products as such, it was just a comment, nothing more.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom