How long do you keep your casual clothes for?

Soldato
I feel bad reading this thread. I buy most of. My stuff from the usual next / topman type places and I probably don't own anything over 2 years old as it all seems to wear out stupidly fast.

I can't think of anything in my wardrobe that I wear regularly over 2 years old and very few things 9ver a year old. It's not due to vanity, usually just because it's worn out.

Soldato
Until such time that it doesn't fit or has more holes than originally designed.

Most of my t-shirts are at least 10 years old and I know I have a fleece for the late 90's that still gets worn reasonably often (actually thinking about it my other fleece is even older than that)

In fact the way things are going at the moment I'm going to start wearing older clothes again as ive lost quite a bit of weight this year so should be able to fit into them again

Caporegime
Stick all your clothes into their storage space in a particular way. when you wear them put them back in opposite way. this can be as easy as turning the hanger the other way around. or having them all pointed up then point down or right.

after 2 years anything you haven't moved to the new way should be given to charity.

also throw out anything which has been worn too much and cannot be salvaged. for example holey socks throw out. holey barbour - repair with glue / patch or send back to factory for official repair to like new.

Soldato
I rarely buy new clothes, generally might get the odd thing for birthdays/christmas but rarely throw out old stuff.

I do need to have a clear out of running stuff though as that just keeps piling up and i find i wear the same few tops most of the time.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Got plenty of casual stuff (jeans, tops etc) over ten years old. But the record is a hoodie that my mum bought for me when I was 11 or 12. I still wear it at 35.

Soldato
You beat me!

My oldest is a fake Versace t shirt I got in Malaysia when I was 13. I still wear it around the house now at 33.

It’s by far and away the best t shirt I’ve ever worn. So soft and the material and fit is perfect (well a bit tight now!)

Associate
T-shirts and jeans can easily last me 5-7 years. I'll keep jackets/hoodies for as long as I still wear that style. Some of my jackets are old kit anyway, denim that I've bought as seconds and customised. I don't purchase a significant amount of clothes, but I tend to do a charity run once every couple of years, as I begin to run short of storage space.

I did recently charity a Burton's shirt that I'd had since 18 (now 36). It was in pristine condition and had outlasted many a shirt thereafter, practically indestructible.

Soldato
I've got three tiers of clothing. My "best" is for meals out, parties etc... then I've got clothing which I wear for work only, nothing fancy but not shabby either and then my lounge around clothes/nipping out to shops type clothes. The clothes do get downgraded over time too so I do get some good use out of them.

Back
Top Bottom