Do you keep on top of your domestic chores?

Caporegime
There's something quite strange about paying an inlaw to clean your house. Doesn't that make for a slightly odd social dynamic when she essentially works for you?

This is coming from someone who has a cleaner so that's not the bit that feels a bit off.

Caporegime
Thanks to work I naturally wake up at 0530, even at weekends, so I get up before my girlfriend and spend a couple of hours tidying the house and sorting my washing out. As soon as it's not antisocial I finish by doing the hoovering.

I am generally away 3-5 days every week, so usually by the time I get home she has trashed the house leaving cups, plates, food, clothes & makeup stuff everywhere - giving me something to do the next Saturday/Sunday morning !

I find being up and effective earlier makes the days feel much longer, by the time most people are falling out of bed everything is tidy and I can enjoy breakfast and get started on enjoying my weekend !

Will you marry me? We can keep it secret from our GFs.

Man of Honour
As someone who has kids, I find this thread hilarious. You have all the time in the world. Just stop being lazy.
As someone else who has kids I completely agree! I look back to before we had kids and it's amazing how much time we had. Most childless people have no idea how lucky they are with free time :D

FTM

FTM

Soldato
both of us work full time

we got a cleaner as who wants to spend spare time cleaning the house

we do our own laundry...but its easy enough as during the week its work clothes 1 midweek wash and a couple at the weekend

I do all the cooking as its something I really enjoy!

Soldato
3 washes a week for two people seems excessive. We do 2; one colours, one whites/lights :confused:

Don't you wash your bed linen? Or do you have a high capacity machine? I do three: whites / lights, colours, and duvet cover + bed sheet. The bed linen goes first, and gets hung up to dry, then the whites, which also get hung up, and lastly the colours. The colours get the benefit of the washing machine double as a tumble dryer; the rest are dry by the end of the day.

Soldato
Normally have a general layer of untidyness which can be tidied up in around 30mins. Washing I don't mind as I have it run whilst I'm working from home on Fridays (along with doing the weekly shop first thing Friday morning). 5mins to load and 10mins to hang up when it finishes ... Not to bad

Things I am bad at ...
Doing washing up during the week ... Tend to just rince things off so they don't go manky but don't really have to time to actually do it nor the space for a dishwasher
Dusting ... Get round to that every couple of months only .... Including that is getting rid of cobwebs (which I don't mind that much of they get rid of flying critters which are much more annoying)

Soldato
Wait to you get kids. You will enjoy chores because it's time away from being a parent when you can have some peace and quiet. I relish washing up after dinner. Stick the radio on and have 20 minutes of bliss performing a menial task.
This man gets it. My wife can't wait for the weekend when she can spend an hour or two sitting down doing the ironing watching a film (sitting down ironing ftw btw) while I am downstairs playing with our daughter.

Soldato
I have 3 kids, the clothes washing is daily and often multiple washes. The hoovering is constant, we have a cordless Dyson so it's super easy to whip it round downstairs where the kids have made a mess multiple times a day.

My wife is a saint and does the majority of the cleaning, I would happily help out but it wouldn't be to her standard! I do take on the washing up, I quite enjoy that and will often do it by hand rather than using the dishwasher. I find loading/unloading the dishwasher more of a chore than doing the washing up tbh :)

Soldato
I don't mind most house hold chores with the exception of ironing which I find very boring but I enjoy cooking. My other half is lazy though, hardly every cooks, never washes up anything, never irons her clothes until they need to be worn and will just keep them in the clean clothes basket.

Last edited:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Don't mind washing clothes but HATE ironing. And washing dishes, normally they pile up for a few days so I can do them all at once.

I tidy up every time before my girlfriend stays over; hoover everywhere, dust, change bed sheets, and clean my en suite.

A month ago I did hire a cleaner though as needed bit of a deeper clean... was £15/hr and took 4 hours.

Back
Top Bottom