• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

State of RT today. Is it usuable?

Man of Honour
If a game was built from the ground up around path tracing and the developer was content to essentially lockout anyone that didn't have atleast a mid-range (2080) Turing card (or just look rubbish on anything else by forgoing any special case support for traditional shadow mapping and other global illumination hacks, etc.) then it would be possible to make very good looking games that ran at very playable framerates at upto 1080p and OK framerates to 1440p that used ray tracing for all lighting/global illuminations, reflections and caustics, etc.

Yes there are some compromises with the current implementations reliant on the performance of the denoiser to produce effects anything like proper ray tracing at viable performance levels but for the most part the issues are liveable with - the slight delayed fade as light propagates over several frames instead of instantly on big changes is fairly organic and largely goes unnoticed once you get used to it.

Quake 2 is actually a better benchmark than people give it credit for because path tracing is not particularly troubled by increased polygon count or scene complexity and some of the performance can be offset by removing traditional rendering techniques used to make things like realtime shadows work without ray tracing.

EDIT: 4K Quake 2 RTX on my 1070 makes the GPU cry LOL - the framerate counter is a lie - it does 7 FPS at 3840x2160 with 50% resolution scaling and 2-5 FPS at 100% scaling:

zMB63zP.jpg

It also seems to stop updating the lighting properly sub 10 FPS - there is some noise and lack of colour detail in the screenshot that isn't present at 1440p.

Last edited:
Associate
Out of all the new technology, the only one that is worth an upgrade and the only one that makes a massive difference to all your games is moving from LCD to OLED.
I hate LCD too, but its biggest advantage is it doesn't suffer from burn-in. I'd feel constantly uncomfortable gaming on an expensive OLED...

Soldato
@opethdisciple

Metro/SOTTR unquestionably look better with RTX, RTX is improving IQ, it's pretty hard on the fps though, BUT bottom line I'd rather be using it than not, DLSS does improve fps even though it is reducing some IQ, it's still a higher IQ than no RTX-IMO.

Metro is terrible for crashing in DX12/RTX(idk if it's a system configuration problem-I'm on Ryzen 2700X X370 like yourself), SOTTR runs fine though, BFV outwith the Panzer level is pretty meh though.

However, from a 1080, I'd say for an upgrade, you are going to need a 2080 Super, a 2070/super would just be a sidegrade outwith RTX.

Think I saw Control is looking for 2080 as recommended for 1080p.

Of course I could be wrong but I can't see Cyberpunk arriving without an Nvidia card launch, the game could even possibly be 'delayed' for whatever reason.

if I could use RT in Assassin's Creed I'd run to the shop immediately. It really comes down to having it in the games you care about, at the end of the day.

RT shadows can be modded into some games with McFly reshade if you subscribe to his Patreon(unless he's released it to the public), seen some vids up on GTAV and W3 with shadow RT'ing using his RTX Reshade.

Associate
I played Shadow of the Tomb Raider all settings I wanted on at max, with medium Ray Tracing (which gives the bulk of the experience). It was really good. It mainly was apparent in fire lit interiors of which there were plenty. Super smashing gorgeous lovely.
I was mainly at 60fps with my 2080ti. 4k.
Everything non-ray traced looks behind the times to me now.

Last edited:
Soldato
RT shadows can be modded into some games with McFly reshade if you subscribe to his Patreon(unless he's released it to the public), seen some vids up on GTAV and W3 with shadow RT'ing using his RTX Reshade.

Yup, I've tried it but it's not working well enough. Too much noise in direct sunlight & not compatible with HDR which is magnificent in AC. Looks really good sometimes though!

48060400088_188e4e13c8_o.png

48060399608_5950f21056_o.png

Associate
Yep it works great now. I am also impressed how the general performance of the RTX cards have improved over the last 8~9months. E.g a RTX 2070 was often just 2-3FPS ahead of a GTX 1080, now it's almost a tier above and the GTX 1080 is now instead trading blow with the RTX 2060.

Caporegime
Soldato
OP
That's the thing I don't see Nvidia RTX as a gimmick at all. There are big AAA titles supporting or going to support the tech. It's in a different league to say AMD's HBCC which they made a big thing of with Vega supported in 1 or 2 games (Wolfenstein & FarCry5) and now since then it's not seen any light of day in any more games.

Even the cards since like Navi don't even have HBCC right?

Soldato
I like RT and it works well on my 2080Ti and at 3440x1440 and gives me playable frame rates. Not sure on other GPUs but I am very happy with fps.

A list of confirmed games.

• Assetto Corsa Competizione - Nope. Unknown when if ever
  • Atomic Heart
  • Battlefield 5
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  • Control - LOL. Have you seen the video?
  • Enlisted - Nope. Unknown when if ever
  • MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries - Nope. Thats in the works the last 10 years, when ever this game comes out we can count it........
  • Metro Exodus
  • Quake II
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Stay in the Light
  • Justice - Only Tech Demo. Unknown when will be implemented.
  • JX3 - Nope. Unknown when if ever
  • Project DH - Nope. Unknown when if ever
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood - Not on release, some time in the future as Nvidia implements this
  • Watch Dogs Legion

Soldato
I like RT and it works well on my 2080Ti and at 3440x1440 and gives me playable frame rates. Not sure on other GPUs but I am very happy with fps.

A list of confirmed games.

You missed 3 more confirmed RT games.

DOOM Eternal
Sword and Fairy 7
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2

Soldato
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione - Nope. Unknown when if ever
  • Atomic Heart
  • Battlefield 5
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  • Control - LOL. Have you seen the video?
  • Enlisted - Nope. Unknown when if ever
  • MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries - Nope. Thats in the works the last 10 years, when ever this game comes out we can count it........
  • Metro Exodus
  • Quake II
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Stay in the Light
  • Justice - Only Tech Demo. Unknown when will be implemented.
  • JX3 - Nope. Unknown when if ever
  • Project DH - Nope. Unknown when if ever
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood - Not on release, some time in the future as Nvidia implements this
  • Watch Dogs Legion
Good catch.

Back
Top Bottom